VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Arctic Monkeys have way to many slow tempo arty songs now. 

Would have much preferred to see their previous sets to this one. 

Kind of agree but I still thought they were good, I'm at that age now where I want a sing along rather than crowd surfing and I was happily singing at home

Maybe a good sign that it's a case of what they didn't play, imo they have to play ritz to the rubble and do me a favour but then also view from the afternoon, certain romance... And if you put those songs in its the new stuff you're dropping, 4 stars out 5 was the flattest for me

Brilliant band, probably my favourite even if the new stuff has dipped

Edit -

Is that vague sense of longing kinda tryna cause a scene?
Guess I'm talking to you now
Puncturing your bubble of relatability
With your horrible new sound
Baby, those mixed messages ain't what they used to be
When you said 'em out loud

He's still got the lyrics just far more waffle to try and cut through and understand in the new stuff

Edited by villa4europe

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Hold up. Too devout to? To the gods of punk? 😉

10247285.webp

Yep, too devout to accept anything that wasn’t fresh and raw from punk style stuff, two tone, mod, 60’s. Basically anything that didn’t sound like clever posh boys in gold capes noodling away on an arena tour. It was important back then to grab it all back off the university educated old farts. It did the world a service

Took me quite a while to be able to listen to anything outside my approved list. Even now, I still can’t stand the majority of that U.S. rock pap, or those ridiculous pompous 70’s superstars. All that stuff, from Genesis to Kiss, Queen, Yes, Pink Floyd.

But access to music now is so much more democratic, it’s better now than it’s been for a very long time. I miss the art of the mixtape, but other than that, there’s far far more good stuff now. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Basically anything that didn’t sound like clever posh boys in gold capes noodling away on an arena tour. It was important back then to grab it all back off the university educated old farts. It did the world a service

And this has become received wisdom. Canon law, in fact. 

I reserve the right to disagree. 

Wow. They are playing I bet you look good on the dancefloor currently on Radio 2 from last night at Glastonbury. I am no musician but my god it sounds a mess, particularly the start. 

They’re my favourite band so I’m bound to be biased but all the people complaining about the set list/style… clearly haven’t been paying attention for the last 5 years. They’ve evolved musically and, whilst if I was there I’d be a little frustrated that they effectively treated it as just another night on the current tour rather than a special Glasto set (saw them in Manchester and Sheffield this month with better set lists than last night), people shouldn’t be expecting a 2006 style set. The common moan that he’s singing at a different tempo to the recorded versions so people can’t sing along… get a grip!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chappy said:

They’re my favourite band so I’m bound to be biased but all the people complaining about the set list/style… clearly haven’t been paying attention for the last 5 years. They’ve evolved musically and, whilst if I was there I’d be a little frustrated that they effectively treated it as just another night on the current tour rather than a special Glasto set (saw them in Manchester and Sheffield this month with better set lists than last night), people shouldn’t be expecting a 2006 style set. The common moan that he’s singing at a different tempo to the recorded versions so people can’t sing along… get a grip!

That's where im at, the signing style largely changed with AM, the various tweaks in pace and things has been happening for a long time, the first couple of gigs they did when the album came out they were doing that's where you're wrong and it's a shame they dropped it just wish they'd pulled out 1 or 2 different songs

As slow as it is I really like the performance of sculptures of anything goes and body paint is a great live song

• Like 1

Watching Billy Nomates set from yesterday which the BBC have curiously listed under guitar because she played one in the first track :D 

Most excellent pop music without any sugar coating. Glasto crowd seem mildly interested and slowly getting it as she moves through he set. She's giving it her all. She's great, her lyrics are great and she really does have a belting voice.

I just can’t help thinking that an actual band might make her come across better

Definitely recommend giving it a go on the Glasto channel (oddly under guitars)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Watching Billy Nomates set from yesterday which the BBC have curiously listed under guitar because she played one in the first track :D 

Most excellent pop music without any sugar coating. Glasto crowd seem mildly interested and slowly getting it as she moves through he set. She's giving it her all. She's great, her lyrics are great and she really does have a belting voice.

I just can’t help thinking that an actual band might make her come across better

Definitely recommend giving it a go on the Glasto channel (oddly under guitars)

Tor is **** ace. I've been singing her praises on here (along with some others) for a good while now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Tor is **** ace. I've been singing her praises on here (along with some others) for a good while now.

You have, I have both her albums. Intelligent pop music with no f***s given and an independent spirit. Glad she's on Invada too because Geoff Barrow genuinely digs her stuff and let’s her get in with it

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just watching The Lighting Seeds. Good to see Gareth Hale out of Hale and Pace has found a new career on Bass for them. 

Martin Campbell, he’s definitely more cuddly than when he was in Rain.

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Martin Campbell, he’s definitely more cuddly than when he was in Rain.

I've been waiting for your response.  Knew you'd know him 😂

Just been having a look through yesterday's stuff. 

Fred Again, absolutely brilliant, but I'm yet to see a time he isn't. 

Lightning Seeds, as steady a band you'll come across, enjoyed watching that. 

Also thought The Courteeners were quality. 

As for Artic Monkeys, I like a few things they've done but not for me now days, all a bit airy fairy. At their best when the guitars are blazing. 

Looking forward to Leftfield later. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Enjoying a bit of nostalgia with the Manic Street Preachers.

Forgot how good James Dean Bradfield is as a guitarist.

Funny you should mention them, without going into the whole rant about the new 6Music. The Manics artist is residence shows this last week have been great.

Mainly great tunes and the complete opposite of pretentious. I really warmed to them as people. They were completely under rehearsed and just winged it.

They played Ironmasters by The Men They Couldn't Hang (a personal favourite of mine) and I thought they’d go on about the song being about the history of Welsh Industrial rebellion and they didn’t really know that much about the song and what it was saying. “I think there may be a nod to Merthyr in there”.. The song is pretty much ALL about Merthyr and the wider rebellions (even going back to the Rebecca Riots from Welsh farmers) but it specifically name checks William Crawshaw who was THE iron master responsible for the Industrial Revolution around Merthyr and Hirwaun and the revolt against him even produced the first time a red flag was raised as a symbol of the workers on Hitwaun Common. Anyway none of that, they seemed utterly clueless about it which given their reputation, I found utterly refreshing

Soz for the long post

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â