VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

On 13/06/2023 at 19:44, Marka Ragnos said:

I saw these cats a few months ago in Brooklyn -- here's my phone video of one of their more laid-back songs from the show -- but I'm still surprised at just how amazing this show was.  Ira Kaplan is something like 65 years old and he played the **** out of his guitars. They were SO LOUD. It was shocking. Haven't heard a band that thunderously loud since seeing Ride in the early 1990s. I think they just finished some dates in Blighty.

I'm jealous that you saw Ride! When I was 17 I heard Taste and it blew me away! I kept playing it for the rest of my A levels, it was and still is one of my fave songs by any band. A lot of the other songs on Nowhere are also great. Indie 'shoegazing' beautiful music at its finest. 

I ended up going to see Blur before starting uni and they were great but now I wish I'd gone to see Ride too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robby b said:

I'm jealous that you saw Ride! When I was 17 I heard Taste and it blew me away! I kept playing it for the rest of my A levels, it was and still is one of my fave songs by any band. A lot of the other songs on Nowhere are also great. Indie 'shoegazing' beautiful music at its finest. 

I ended up going to see Blur before starting uni and they were great but now I wish I'd gone to see Ride too.

Seeing Blur in those days must have been just as cool. The Ride show I saw in 1991 was opened by Lush. Not anywhere as loud as Ride, but so talented. (Would have been with their drummer who later tragically took his own life.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Seeing Blur in those days must have been just as cool. The Ride show I saw in 1991 was opened by Lush. Not anywhere as loud as Ride, but so talented. (Would have been with their drummer who later tragically took his own life.)

Wow what a gig: Ride and Lush! She has a beautiful voice, Miki Berenyi, and they made some lovely songs.

It was also 91 when I first saw Blur so the gig was nearly all the songs from their first album, Leisure, as that was their only album then. It was at the Kilburn Ballroom.

Edited by robby b
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robby b said:

When I was 17 I heard Taste and it blew me away! 

Inevitably, I immediately thought you meant the band Taste. Now they were loud. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Inevitably, I immediately thought you meant the band Taste. Now they were loud. 

Impressive! I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them. To me the guitar sounds a bit like a cross between the two Jimmies: Hendrix and Page. So fast with hammers and pulls and great bends. And great bends with vibratos (which I never ever managed to do and which left me confused and frustrated, it always felt like I didn't have anywhere near enough strength in my fingers!)  : <  And the drums remind me a little of John Bonham.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, robby b said:

Impressive! I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them. To me the guitar sounds a bit like a cross between the two Jimmies: Hendrix and Page. So fast and great bends. And great bends with vibratos (which I never ever managed to do and which left me confused and frustrated, it always felt like I didn't have anywhere near enough strength in my fingers!)  : <  And the drums remind me a little of John Bonham.

Rory Gallagher on guitar, probably my all time favourite

• Like 1

Just watching Blondie at Isle of Wight festival. Debbie Harry strutting around the stage in Hottish Pants. She's only 4 years younger than my Dad who can't walk anymore and a couple of years younger than my mum who may potter around the garden a bit but that's her limit. 

What a woman. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just watching Blondie at Isle of Wight festival. Debbie Harry strutting around the stage in Hottish Pants. She's only 4 years younger than my Dad who can't walk anymore and a couple of years younger than my mum who may potter around the garden a bit but that's her limit. 

What a woman. 

And they say drugs are bad for you... 

• Haha 2

I'm a bit late to the party, but I've just found out about an artist called Ren and I've seen the Hi Ren video. Man, thats some powerful stuff. NOTE: Might trigger some people - it's about the internal struggle with mental health and psychosis

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but I've just found out about an artist called Ren and I've seen the Hi Ren video. Man, thats some powerful stuff.

I found it impressive, but I can't say I liked it. 

Justin Hawkins made a video on that Hi Ren dude a while back

I thought the song was alright but that Ren comes across as a middle class twerp trying to sound street, he did a song to the backing tack of Bittersweet Symphony and it made my ears bleed

Edited by leemond2008

So I have relatives on Anglesey and Ren used to live in the same street. (They moved not him). They are mega fans of the kid that's for sure. Apparently his story is that he got signed (Sony IIRC) and didn't 'make it' so he left the industry a bit disillusioned. Had a bit of a breakdown and eventually started putting his own stuff out. He is apparently a very nice man indeed and they are very excited on his behalf that his stuff went viral. His 15m views on the Hi Ren video has made a massive difference to his existance and he gets called to appear as a talking head on mental health issues in the US media as well as actually having a couple of quid in his pocket for the first time in his life. What you see is what you get.

When they showed me the HiRen vid I thought it was clever and "very art school" was my quote. Like mooney it didnt really connect with me though. This beastie boys esque wander round the old skool though...

(It's not for you mooney)

who knew meaningful lyrics connect with people ?

• Thanks 1

That's dreadful, I don't get it at all, but it's not aimed at me, neither of those Ren videos. Others will get something out of it, I am fearful a friend will see it now and send me a link to it and I will have to be polite.

Edited by Seat68

So its an anniversary of the release of the film the Wicker Man and to celebrate there’s a bit of a concert over in that London to celebrate with music that is ‘in the style of’ so it’s all a bit floaty folky vaguely sinister I guess.

It’s Music For Summerisle, at The Barbican. Saturday, if you’re interested.

Anyway, they mentioned they were using a hurdy gurdy moog for some of the music. I went off to investigate and it turns out it was a hurd e gurd e and now I’m off down a rabbit hole of sounds to sort out my tinnitus.

Carry on.

Â