2021/22 expectations

Jareth

• 1 month later...
On 06/08/2021 at 10:10, Zatman said:

Hi Alex, say hello to your Dad from us 😉 we should finish over Newcastle 

Is it fair to say we are struggling without Grealish this season, asking for my dad? 

Five defeats in a row, three points off the bottom three having played a game more than the teams below us, relegation thread should probably be reopend, as it's a case of being back to looking at the fixtures of clubs in and around the bottom three, hoping that they lose in order to do us a favour

So depressing.

Only we could win at Man. United and follow it up with 5 straight defeats.

Worry is our next 5 are Brighton, Palace (our record is abysmal at Selhurst Park), Man. City, Leicester and Liverpool.

As things stand can only see us getting a draw v Brighton so we are in major trouble unless we quickly do something about it.

So what are the season expectations now that Gerrard is the manager?

I think with a big slab of luck, some clever tactics and formation changes, a bit of spending in Jan and a new manager bounce, would could finish 7-8th.

However, its more likely that we'll finish 9-12th.

I would be disappointed if we finish below 12th (assuming we fix the team in January).

• Like 1

9th or 10th is still possible.

We need a new managerial bounce badly though otherwise would leave us too much to do.

We'll stay up comfortably though. Anything less will show this appointment was a mistake as it's a decent squad to inherit and he will have January to make 2-3 signings if he so wishes.

Safety first. Because of this poor run we are in a relegation  fight, that’s the reality. Gerrard will need to settle on a team that will work in his 433 formation, hopefully we can look up the table rather than down.

27 minutes ago, Strog said:

Safety first. Because of this poor run we are in a relegation  fight, that’s the reality. Gerrard will need to settle on a team that will work in his 433 formation, hopefully we can look up the table rather than down.

To be fair, most often even after 25 games 10-12 teams are in the relagation fight. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

17th I take now. Yes I have doubts.

Yep agreed, now it’s just about avoiding the drop. Which doesn’t mean Gerrard won’t do well, it just means when you gamble like this you first and foremost just hope you don’t lose your shirt!

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

To be fair, most often even after 25 games 10-12 teams are in the relagation fight. 

True but we are in free fall so we need to stop the rot IMO.

Â