2021/22 expectations

Jareth

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

£80-90 was spent on player aqusitions this summer. Obv not "net" spend.

I think we can settle that gross spend was over £350m and net spend ~£250m

Gross spend is a different thing to investment which is what we were talking about originally.

I'm happy to agree a total investment figure with a source. Transfermarkt says £205m.

If you can point me to the figures on the accounts on CH I would be grateful.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Because I suspected that was where the bulk of the inaccuracy was coming from. Net investment is actually a tautology as investment is always putting into something, so only the net figure is investment.

Eg. If I sell my car for £10k and buy a new one for £5k I haven't invested £5k in my vehicles, I've actually divested £5k from my vehicles.

Similarly, Villa haven't invested about £100m this summer, they've actually divested about £24m (according to transfermarkt).

I now see from your figures that they are all gross spend figures (although we started with so few assets in the squad the first two figures aren't far off investment figures), each rounded (always upwards and heavily) and then added together to compound the rounding into one mega rounding. At that point I think the figure has lost any meaning.

Transfermarkt sourced figure for total investment in the last 3 PL seasons: £205.12m. Obviously this figure is not as exact as the two decimal places would imply but I think it's reasonable to say the investment has actually been about £205m.

Considering we started with a squad (of 13 players) worth £63m and now have one worth £367m (both figures from transfermarkt) I think it's fair to say NSWE have got a great ROI while also seeing the club go forward every season. Not an easy feat imho.

Your definition of investment is very simplistic. Numbers rounded for ease of writing, I will provide exact numbers at bottom of comment

AVFC invested 100m in players in the last window. This is investment of the 100m was spent on new assets that AVFC intends to get value from. It is irrelevant where the 100m came from whether that be the disposable of a different asset, commercial revenue, loan or equity investment. 

Investment figure of mine were 'not always upwards'. According to Transfermarkt

'21/'22": 89.94m (rounded up)

'20/'21: 91.22m (rounded up)

'19/'20: 143.55m (rounded down)

Total: 324.71

However, Transfermarkt does not include the loan fees for Mings, Drinkwater, Barkley and Tuanzebe. Barkley reported at 11m and Tuanzebe at 5m. That is another 16m on top of the 324.71 making 340.71 plus costs for DD and MIngs. That is damn close to the 'about 350m' which was the wording I used.

As regards the ROI for NSWE I agree they are doing well with their investment or would you consider it an investment by NSWE considering the likelihood is that they didn't have the 400m they put into Villa lying around in cash and they had to divest it from another financial vehicle whether that be a savings account or equity in something else 😀

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

+ relative success

We absolutely stunk the place out last time we were here with a squad of orrible words removed 

We're night and day from that team 

Yes, I didn't mention a lot of the other successes. For example, we actually play players in their correct position now 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Sorry I had already found the first figure. I can't find the second one (£109m). I can't find the 20/21 accounts at all in fact.

20/21 accounts are not published yet,

It’s on page 7 of 19/20 , under post balance sheet events. 

image.thumb.png.3a73ccc04d42af7287d083b6d9dc0f9c.png

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

20/21 accounts are not published yet,

It’s on page 7 of 19/20 , under post balance sheet events. 

image.thumb.png.3a73ccc04d42af7287d083b6d9dc0f9c.png

Thanks. So these are net figures totaling ~£260m. According to transfermarkt we are £25m in the green this season for a total of £235m over 3 seasons. That seems like a reasonable figure to me.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

14 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

AVFC invested 100m in players in the last window. This is investment of the 100m was spent on new assets that AVFC intends to get value from. It is irrelevant where the 100m came from whether that be the disposable of a different asset, commercial revenue, loan or equity investment. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I can't agree that spending £90m and receiving £114m is an investment of £100m.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In what world is that success?

Success means “The accomplishment of an aim or purpose”

I understand that you might have got it’s meaning slightly wrong, but you cannot deny that we have been relatively successful in a realistic sense.

20 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Success means “The accomplishment of an aim or purpose”

I understand that you might have got it’s meaning slightly wrong, but you cannot deny that we have been relatively successful in a realistic sense.

Success for me in football terms is trophies, no no.

Â