Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Thats great but we have Coutinho,  Bailey, Ings, Watkins, Buendia

It's not exactly Stoke City and its a shit excuse for Gerrard

I’m not making an excuse for it, it’s an observation. It’s not exactly a style I like but if it gets results then I guess it works to some degree.

If I went on preseason alone, I'd choose a midfield 3 of Kamara, Iroegbunam and Sanson. Kesler in at RB. Buendia in for Coutinho. Carlos and Chambers CBs. Watkins lone striker. Martinez, Digne, Bailey the rest. 

• Like 1

I asked this yesterday 

“Can someone explain what Stevie G is trying to build here at Villa? 

what are Stevie’s tactics, style, how do we win games, how do we defend games, who are the key players to achieve this, what changes have been made in preseason to achieve Stevie’s aims?”

but I had no answer, but a few likes, like I was making a point.. however I was being sincere with the questions, I really do not know the identity of Steven Gerard’s football… what is Gerrard ball, at the very least, what is he trying to create?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I asked this yesterday 

but I had no answer, but a few likes, like I was making a point.. however I was being sincere with the questions, I really do not know the identity of Steven Gerard’s football… what is Gerrard ball, at the very least, what is he trying to create?

This is only an observation and a guess, but I mentioned earlier that our approach could be more pragmatic. I think he wants us as solid as possible throughout our spine, a bit dirty as well. Maybe in games where we are stronger we showcase more on the ball. A bit like Jose’s Chelsea I guess, with a weaker squad in comparison to that one. (Again this is solely a guess and from what I’ve seen from Gerrard till this point).

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

You can add Arsenal to the 3421 pot.

It really would make sense I think. Utilises all our better players. Please not 4312 again. Please.

Interesting:

So a sort of:

-------------------------Martinez-----------------------

----------Konsa-------Carlos-----Mings----------

Cash-----------Luiz----------Kamara------Digne

-----------------Buendia------Coutinho------------

----------------------------Ings----------------------------

Type of thing?

I quite like it - but again it's one where our peculiar balance of midfielders comes into play.

Our ideal formation is 3-4-2-2-1 so that we can play all three lines:

--------------Luiz-------Kamara--------

------------McGinn----Ramsey------

-----------Buendia----Coutinho-----

How Gerrard makes a blend out of those three sets of very different players might very well dominate our season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting:

So a sort of:

Type of thing?

I quite like it - but again it's one where our peculiar balance of midfielders comes into play.

Our ideal formation is 3-4-2-2-1 so that we can play all three lines:

How Gerrard makes a blend out of those three sets of very different players might very well dominate our season.

Playing 13 players would definitely help us win

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Playing 13 players would definitely help us win

Indeed - I guess the question with the 3-4-2-1 is whether you're dropping Coutinho and Buendia or dropping Ramsey and McGinn.

Most of the formations we should be able to play fall down on the balance of our midfield and our desire to get more of them onto the field.

I think with three defenders we might be better off with a good old fashioned erm....3-3-2-1-1

So:

Cash----------------Kamara------------------Digne

-------------McGinn--------------Luiz------------------

------------------------Coutinho-------------------------

---------------------------Ings-----------------------------

Although the problem with any formation with three centre halves and wing backs is that there's no room in the side for Bailey who has been our best player in pre-season.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Indeed - I guess the question with the 3-4-1-2 is whether you're dropping Coutinho and Buendia or dropping Ramsey and McGinn.

Most of the formations we should be able to play fall down on the balance of our midfield and our desire to get more of them onto the field.

I think all the formations we have experimented with and that have been suggested could work with the players we have, obviously some better than others... but my feeling is we haven't picked the right players in the formations we're using.

And any formation that doesn't include Buendia starting is a no for me.

I think with three defenders we might be better off with a good old fashioned erm....3-3-2-1-1

So:

Cash----------------Kamara------------------Digne

-------------McGinn--------------Luiz------------------

------------------------Coutinho-------------------------

---------------------------Ings-----------------------------

Although the problem with any formation with three centre halves and wing backs is that there's no room in the side for Bailey who has been our best player in pre-season.

I think it's largely unnecessary to play 3 at the back, seeing as we shift into that with our CDM dropping in between the two CBs anyway when we're in possession. Just takes an attacking player off the pitch IMO. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And any formation that doesn't include Buendia starting is a no for me.

So how do you get him in there without unbalancing things?

For me, the only natural way to do ti is by dropping Coutinho and I can't see that happening.

He could maybe play ahead of Bailey on the right in a 4-3-3, but he never seems as effective in that spot.

The only other option is next to Coutinho in a 4-3-2-1 - but McGinn struggles in that formation if he has to play in a more withdrawn way and we've looked vulnerable in that shape.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I think it's largely unnecessary to play 3 at the back, seeing as we shift into that with our CDM dropping in between the two CBs anyway when we're in possession. Just takes an attacking player off the pitch IMO. 

I'd agree - just following on from some of the three at the back suggestions further up the page.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting:

So a sort of:

Type of thing?

Yep.

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

To look good and win matches we play Kamara, Luiz, Buendia & Bailey in that middle.

Gerrard will pick McGinn and Coutinho irrespective of form so we just have to hope he learns how to manage at some point.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

To look good and win matches we play Kamara, Luiz, Buendia & Bailey in that middle.

Wait, what?

Bailey in centre mid?

In that formation I'd maybe put him up in competition with Ings and Watkins for the CF slot, but he's no more a central midfielder than he is a turnip.

• Like 1

What happened to Gerrard's Christmas tree formation with the two #10's? As soon as we got another good #10 to accompany Buendia in Coutinho we seemed to have stopped playing that way for the most part. Very strange. 

• Like 1

I think as a positive it shows we've got some excellent squad strength now - we're having to choose between some very good players to put on the bench - but by heck we're a conundrum to try to get the right blend onto the pitch.

• Like 1

Wait, what?

Bailey in centre mid?

In that formation I'd maybe put him up in competition with Ings and Watkins for the CF slot, but he's no more a central midfielder than he is a turnip.

Two CM Luiz and Kamara. The two 10s in front of them Bailey and Buendia.

None of this pondering matters of course, Gerrard has his guy in Coutinho - he starts and we go from there.

We aren't going to jump to a back three from nowhere.

It'll be 4321 which works if we're sat back trying not to concede. Or 4312 which doesn't work for much. Both formations are horrendously narrow and pretty dull to watch.

I just want us to play the players that are in the BEST form. 

We have a very decent squad now, it isn't like in previous seasons where there would be a huge drop off in ability when 'reserve' players come in.

We have very capable players in every position and whoever is playing well keeps the shirt, if they perform badly then they lose it. Simples.

I really hope SG does this from now on because that's probably the one criticism I had of him last season. 

We should also take into account which opponents we are facing, some fixtures will be suited to different personnel. 

• Like 1

I think Gerrard is sort of making it up as he goes along. I'm not sure he knows which shape/formation he really wants to play with the players he has. 

I would like to see Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho and Ramsey in the team but, not sure how you fit them all in. If Cash is going to be replied more upon creating chances at the other end, I think he may be in for a tough season as Kesler-Hayden is going to push for that place in the team. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

This is only an observation and a guess, but I mentioned earlier that our approach could be more pragmatic. I think he wants us as solid as possible throughout our spine, a bit dirty as well. Maybe in games where we are stronger we showcase more on the ball. A bit like Jose’s Chelsea I guess, with a weaker squad in comparison to that one. (Again this is solely a guess and from what I’ve seen from Gerrard till this point).

You’ve come up with a good answer, but you’re still guessing. This is what I’m fearing… that no one is sure what Gerrard ball is, even Stevan Gerrard. 

• Like 1

Â