30 hidden bands

Genie

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Now that Bicks has finished his Mr “I’m too cool to link the song people actually know them for” routine....allow me.....

Yeah but thats the SHIT version of the band. Its also the first hit they had, which if memory serves me correctly was re-recorded by the SHIT three piece

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Now that Bicks has finished his Mr “I’m too cool to link the song people actually know them for” routine....allow me....

Ouch.

Necessary, really?

Sick of negative one-up-man-ship saturating every facet of society.

We're in off-topic. Support, learning, friendship etc.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, useless said:

I was going to say Pavement, but the I realized it was a road not a pavement.

The Americans call the pavement the sidewalk. They call the road the pavement. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Yeah but thats the SHIT version of the band. Its also the first hit they had, which if memory serves me correctly was re-recorded by the SHIT three piece

I would have guessed beforehand that you wouldn’t like the song. So the band coming up in conversation with someone who had never heard of them, it just amused me (mainly having my suspicions pretty much confirmed) that you’d showcase them by not using or referring to by far and away their biggest hit and the song that might make the original poster go “Oh yeah, I DO know that one.”

I saw you recently reference “High Fidelity” in another thread. I’ll be honest, the character of Barry is never too far from my thoughts when I read you posting about music. He wouldn’t have liked or linked “Hold me now” either ;)

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ouch.

Necessary, really?

Sick of negative one-up-man-ship saturating every facet of society.

We're in off-topic. Support, learning, friendship etc.

I’m not sure where to begin with this. I’ll just put it down to you not being a fan of the song either.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I would have guessed beforehand that you wouldn’t like the song. So the band coming up in conversation with someone who had never heard of them, it just amused me (mainly having my suspicions pretty much confirmed) that you’d showcase them by not using or referring to by far and away their biggest hit and the song that might make the original poster go “Oh yeah, I DO know that one.”

I saw you recently reference “High Fidelity” in another thread. I’ll be honest, the character of Barry is never too far from my thoughts when I read you posting about music. He wouldn’t have liked or linked “Hold me now” either

How's this for Barry. In The Name Of Love was the song that launched their career. Number One on the US Dancefloor Chart, it is not some Thompson Twins obscurity, if I was going to do that, it would have been Living in Europe

I feel as though you are projecting your lack of knowledge onto me :crylaugh:🤘

23 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

It's also pretty mainstream that one - I guess it's a label thing - their artists?

U2, Bee Gees, Scissor Sisters, Gn'R, McArthur Park, Rolling Stones, Eagles, Smashing Pumpkins, Pet Shop Boys, Dollar, The Beach Boys, RHCP, The Cars, B-52s, Q***n,

But then there's some others? The Zombies, Television, Black Flag, Pixies, The Lemonheads.

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

How's this for Barry. In The Name Of Love was the song that launched their career. Number One on the US Dancefloor Chart, it is not some Thompson Twins obscurity, if I was going to do that, it would have been Living in Europe

I feel as though you are projecting your lack of knowledge onto me :crylaugh:🤘

Yes, I dare say Barry would approve.

I’m not projecting anything onto you, or at least I’m not meaning to. I know hardly anything about the Thompson Twins. I couldn’t tell you the names of any of the group, if they’re still going or whatever. I know “Hold Me Now” and I know it was a huge hit for them. 

As I’ve said or intimidated previously if someone said “I don’t think I know that band” I’d suggest they’d have way more chance of knowing a song that was top five in the UK charts, US billboard and other countries than the one you suggested. That’s all. 

And I accept that there’s various barometers of how well known a song is, but look at the number of plays the “Hold Me Now” has on YouTube. 52 million views, on the one video (and they’re not all down to me). I’ve had a look at the various videos of “In the name of love”. As far as I can see (having admittedly only looked at 5 or 6 videos), the highest is just over 400,000 views. 

But hey, maybe I’m wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time. It appears that song was used in the Ghostbusters film which obviously didn’t register with me.

Â