30 hidden bands

Genie

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've seen The Thompson Twins live. I was underwhelmed. In my memory they were support act to Katrina and the Waves. Is this a false memory? Seems unlikely, somehow. 

Can't see it, Thompson Twins had their success before Katrina and the Waves and were fizzling out as KATW were on the rise and by fizzling out I mean not playing live as Tom Bailey had health problems and promoters going bankrupt. Also by that time they were down to a duo

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Can't see it, Thompson Twins had their success before Katrina and the Waves and were fizzling out as KATW were on the rise and by fizzling out I mean not playing live as Tom Bailey had health problems and promoters going bankrupt. Also by that time they were down to a duo

I'm not so sure. I definitely saw them both in the same venue - the Riley Smith Hall at Leeds University. And I clearly remember standing in the same spot for both bands. 1985 would be a contender for the year - both bands were active then. However, a bit of research into Leeds Uni's archives suggests that the Thompsons played there in May 1983, and doesn't mention KatW at all. It's possible that KatW were the support act to the Thompsons - which would explain why I'd gone, as I wouldn't have for the TTs alone. But May 83 was two years before KatW's first album. My interest was mainly down to their lead guitarist Kimberly Rew, formerly of my big favourites The Soft Boys. And I can remember a lot about their set, the standout being a fantastic song called (something like) "Summer's Almost Gone", where KR ripped it up Santana-style. AFAIK the song never got released on an album. All I remember about the Thompson Twins was being bored. 

Edited by mjmooney

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Yeah but thats the SHIT version of the band. Its also the first hit they had, which if memory serves me correctly was re-recorded by the SHIT three piece

We are Detective was good 

Â