General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

39 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Football doesn’t need fixing.

It didn’t need VAR and it’s implementation has added very little whilst taking away a lot.

It doesn’t need sin bins, no one is asking for it, and yet it will be implemented and again will add very little whilst taking away a lot.

But I guess the powers that be have to justify their careers by making some form of impact before retirement eh.

Agree with this completely. 

VAR is the answer to a question no one was asking. Sin Bins are the answer to a question no one has even conceived.

VAR is a necessity I think. Referees have to go to the monitor to change so many decisions, because they get so much stuff wrong in the first place. The issue is with the nonsensical way laws are written, and the amount of grey area it causes.

Selfishly in regards to offsides, I think Villa would be much worse off if we didn't have VAR to correct poor decisions frmo assistant referees.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

VAR is a necessity I think. Referees have to go to the monitor to change so many decisions, because they get so much stuff wrong in the first place. The issue is with the nonsensical way laws are written, and the amount of grey area it causes.

Selfishly in regards to offsides, I think Villa would be much worse off if we didn't have VAR to correct poor decisions frmo assistant referees.

I think the assistant referees generally do a great job, almost unbelievably well actually. Funnily enough it's their role that is now almost obsolete.

• Like 1

Sin bin idea is just friggin stupid.  Hit the players in their pocket if they want dissent cleared.  If a player gets booked for dissent they get a large fine.  That way it doesn’t affect fans enjoyment of the game or the stupid idea of going down to ten men for 10 minutes or whatever.  It also means it can be discussed better after the game by the authorities and the player/player representatives.  It’ll also mean less dissent because players won’t want to incur personal fines.

9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

The kind of Rodri fouls on the halfway line to prevent a break where you've stopped a clear goalscoring opportunity before it has actually become one. Usually just a trip so they are not violent conduct but they do prevent a high chance of a goal.

But yeah this is the issue isn't. Right now Rodri hardly even gets yellows so how can we trust the refs to implement anything properly, it'll just end up with loads of Wolves players in the sin bin on current evidence.

I still don’t see why it’s needed. I agree the Man City tactical foul situation needs addressing and has done for years tbf but you can easily do that by making it a yellow card offence and instructing the refs to get hot on it. He can only do it twice and he’s done.

• Like 3

Just now, villa4europe said:

and that's why the wording "clear and obvious" exists

get out of jail card, it ultimately means nothing beyond a grey area giving them flexibility to do whatever they want

Yep.

'The panel felt that the decision to award the penalty was incorrect but the VAR decision to not to overturn was also correct'

I mean, what on **** earth does that even mean?

Remember the good ol' days of last season when it was just the offside and hand ball rules that were random. Now it seems every call is just whatever. Absolutely zero consistency to it this season.

43 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

England has by far the weakest refs I've seen. Terrified to make a decision. 

It doesn't make sense because even if you **** up. Dermot Gallagher or Peter Walton will be there to defend you in the media

• Like 1

Â