Formula One - 2021

BOF

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

Big breaking news that no one saw coming is that Merc have confirmed promising youngster George Russell for their 2nd seat.

Lot of pressure on the lads shoulders. His brief cameo last season will have raised expectations he will come in and cut the mustard.

Can only be good for F1 in general if one of the second drivers of the top teams is a threat for the race win. Feels like for the last 3 years its generally Lewis or Max. I miss the days of the Mercs and Red Bulls running each other off the road.

• Like 1

I think he'll be much more of a threat, and I think both will take points off each other to the detriment of their WDC hopes. As for pressure. He has the drive he deserves so I don't think pressure will be a problem once he settles in.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I think he'll be much more of a threat, and I think both will take points off each other to the detriment of their WDC hopes. As for pressure. He has the drive he deserves so I don't think pressure will be a problem once he settles in.

I thought the same thing.

You could actually see the merits of keeping Bottas over promoting a potentially better younger driver with something to prove. The risk of them coming together returns and as you say taking points off each other at critical moments potentially.

15 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

You could actually see the merits of keeping Bottas over promoting a potentially better younger driver with something to prove.

Yeah Merc mentioned the risk of all the other top teams having one of the next generation of hot shots in their team and Merc risking being left behind. The difference though is basically all of those other hot shots are already their team leader. Leclerc, Verstappen and Norris are their team's #1. Hamilton, for want of a better term, will kind of be in Russell's way. He's still top of his game and will have no intention of yielding. Russell hasn't gone in there as a number 2. They'll be free to race, so it'll be difficult for Merc to prevent both drivers from hampering the other's championship by virtue of both being very good.

I think Russell will be there to learn from Lewis and eventually take the baton from him as their next Number 1 driver.

Bottas is a great number 2 but he's clearly growing tired of being that.

It's a lot easier to keep a 23 year old happy being a number 2 and learning from the GOAT in the knowledge that he'll eventually takeover from him. You have to go back 20 years before you find someone who won the championship at an older age than lewis is now. Merc are thinking towards the future I'm sure

• Like 1

Russell playing the long game - he'll need to be the reliable understudy next year at least if he's to aspire to becoming the lead driver the year after. Putting his ambitions on hold in order to find himself with the best seat in the house in a couple of years time carries a little bit of risk, but the pay off if he gets it is a real chance at the Championship. 

He now needs to spend 15 months persuading Lewis that he feels old.

• Like 1

Damage limitation for Max getting 3rd with Lewis 2nd but he seems a long way off. Good to see Ricciardo up along with Norris. Gio another Q3. Gasly being Gasly.

So Bottas was the fastest in qualifying but starts at the back tomorrow because of the engine thing, and nothing he does in the sprint race today makes a blind bit of difference to his season or to anything to do with tomorrow's race?

I still don't really understand what these sprint races are for.

• Like 1

Money. It puts a competitive session (qualifying) on the Friday upping the Friday attendance. And the pseudo second race on the Saturday potentially ups the Saturday attendance too. So the whole weekend has fewer practices and the 2 day weekend becomes a 3 day. There is no effect on the actual race other than rendering qualifying largely irrelevant.

• Like 1

Is there an advantage to be gained for Mercedes by having Bottas get right out of Hamilton's way and get right into Verstappen's way?

Let Lewis go by on the way to the tight first corner, get slap bang into the middle of the racing line and slap the anchors on?