Authentic Beer for a Villa Game

DWG_Pauly

Just now, DWG_Pauly said:

Meat paste? Hmm...

Very traditional non-alcoholic half time drink at football matches. Warms you up in the cold winter months

Often heard on the Holte End when it was a terrace. "Watch it or you'll spill me cowing Bovril"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DWG_Pauly said:

What do we know of Youngs Dbl. Choc.

Bloody lovely stuff.

Many years ago, I used to buy a bottle of their double chocolate stout, a bottle of Wells banana bread beer, and have 2 half and half chocolate banana pints :D I might do that again at the weekend and just see how poor my taste was.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Bloody lovely stuff.

Many years ago, I used to buy a bottle of their double chocolate stout, a bottle of Wells banana bread beer, and have 2 half and half chocolate bananas pints :D I might do that against at the weekend and just see how poor my taste was.

AgreeablePartialGlobefish-size_restricte

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

Always annoyed me that Ansells sponsored small heath. 

Interesting trivia. Did you know the reason why The Bartons Arms is such a spectacular pub?  

It's because Mitchells & Butlers were the biggest brewery in Birmingham and Ansells were their main competitors.  Mitchells & Butlers mainly ruled South Brum with Ansells mainly in the North.  So Mitchells & Butlers built The Bartons right in the middle of prime Ansells territory so show they were number one.  We're so much bigger than you, just look at what we can build right under your noses.  A statement of intent so to speak. 

They run history and cellar tours there which I thoroughly recommend if anyone is interested in that kind of thing (if we ever get back to a pub). 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Very traditional non-alcoholic half time drink at football matches. Warms you up in the cold winter months

Often heard on the Holte End when it was a terrace. "Watch it or you'll spill me cowing Bovril"

I actually laughed out loud then. I've not heard anyone saying "cowing" for ages.  Bostin. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Bloody lovely stuff.

Many years ago, I used to buy a bottle of their double chocolate stout, a bottle of Wells banana bread beer, and have 2 half and half chocolate banana pints :D I might do that again at the weekend and just see how poor my taste was.

Great! Authentic enough. My local shop has this, and soon will I. Just not the banana bread beer.

Edited by DWG_Pauly

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Queens Arms in Newhall Street is a great old M&B pub

OlH54nu.jpg

I've spent many an hour in there, used to be the nearest pub to my office and I could still walk there in 10 minutes (if the office was open) 

I use it as the first port of call on a Jewellery Quarter pub crawl. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I've spent many an hour in there, used to be the nearest pub to my office and I could still walk there in 10 minutes (if the office was open) 

I use it as the first port of call on a Jewellery Quarter pub crawl. 

Its a nice pub. 

Old Royal is another decent one in Church Street. Watched many sporting events there (including our defeat to Fulham in the play off final)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its a nice pub. 

Old Royal is another decent one in Church Street. Watched many sporting events there (including our defeat to Fulham in the play off final)

I don't often drink before matches but the last couple of times I've met my mate before we play Wolves we've met up at The Crown in Corporation Street. 

It's not the best pub in the world but they sell real ale, show matches on big screens, has tons of room and small queues at the bar. 

It's actually the nearest Town Centre bar to Villa Park and a short Taxi hop so I'm suprised it isn't more popular before games to be honest. 

73ec4b6f278429a6b60d20ba2f06a0c0.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't often drink before matches but the last couple of times I've met my mate before we play Wolves we've met up at The Crown in Corporation Street. 

It's not the best pub in the world but they sell real ale, show matches on big screens, has tons of room and small queues at the bar. 

It's actually the nearest Town Centre bar to Villa Park and a short Taxi hop so I'm suprised it isn't more popular before games to be honest. 

73ec4b6f278429a6b60d20ba2f06a0c0.jpg

Its been years since i've been that side of town... opposite where Harry Parkes used to be?! Did it used to be a Yates? Or is there one nearby? 

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its been years since i've been that side of town... opposite where Harry Parkes used to be?! Did it used to be a Yates? Or is there one nearby? 

It is opposite where Harry Parkes used to be. 

I think Yates was a bit further down the road? 

It is a bit of a forgotten part of town which is why I think it's reasonably quiet before a game.  There are Villa in there though. 

Stay in there with loads of room and no queue at the bar for some OK ish beer at a reasonable price, then share a cab for a quid each to the ground, or drink overpriced overly shit beer near the ground in some complete dump where you are queuing half an hour for a beer

OK you miss the singing and atmosphere but a decent chat and good beer sitting at a table holds more attraction for me at this stage frankly. 

Anyway apologies for taking the thread off topic. Can't remember who owns it but they have at least 3 or 4 handpumps for a traditional British Ale which would be eminently suitable for pre match shandies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It is opposite where Harry Parkes used to be. 

I think Yates was a bit further down the road? 

It is a bit of a forgotten part of town which is why I think it's reasonably quiet before a game.  There are Villa in there though. 

Stay in there with loads of room and no queue at the bar for some OK ish beer at a reasonable price, then share a cab for a quid each to the ground, or drink overpriced overly shit beer near the ground in some complete dump where you are queuing half an hour for a beer

OK you miss the singing and atmosphere but a decent chat and good beer sitting at a table holds more attraction for me at this stage frankly. 

Anyway apologies for taking the thread off topic. Can't remember who owns it but they have at least 3 or 4 handpumps for a traditional British Ale which would be eminently suitable for pre match shandies. 

Apologies to the OP not necessary. I'm drinking this info up and look forward to sharing the cab to the pitch with you.

• Like 2

Does anyone go to The Aston Tavern before a game? 

It obviously looks lovely following the massive redevelopment but I would imagine it's complete mayhem in there before a game. 

Do they sell real ale? I assume it must be plastic glasses? 

Has the interior been trashed already? 

23g8_ipwlOWedt5qUpaoTH_iDNnrPIGWLzbsLAANmain-bar.jpg

20-9-F1025-Aston-Tavern-6.jpg

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Does anyone go to The Aston Tavern before a game? 

It obviously looks lovely following the massive redevelopment but I would imagine it's complete mayhem in there before a game. 

Do they sell real ale? I assume it must be plastic glasses? 

Has the interior been trashed already? 

23g8_ipwlOWedt5qUpaoTH_iDNnrPIGWLzbsLAANmain-bar.jpg

20-9-F1025-Aston-Tavern-6.jpg

Yeah I go there. It is pretty packed, they have proper glasses. Pretty sure they have real ale, but I’m a cider drinker so don’t look out for it. And the interior is still sound. Whether they’ll survive through Covid, I’ve no idea. 

• Thanks 1

I have the most uninformed nonsense answer for this because i've never been to Birmingham, but a few years ago Greene King IPA was our beer sponsor, and it was also on tap at my local English pub which was staggering home distance away from my sharehouse, so i've probably drunk more Greene King IPA than anything else while watching us.

id stopped drinking by the grounds as every season they seemingly closed another pub, seriously it was like 4 years in a season the pub i drank in for the season got closed at the end of it, tried the aston tavern and it was ok, long queues i found, great refurb though, tried the holte suite and thats sound if you can get in, the holte pub had terrible staff, not sure if they were agency or what but that felt like a place that was only open every other saturday and was a mess, now i think the lot i used to go to games with drink in the city centre before the games, around colmore row so the old joint stock, wellington, lost and found before making their way to turtle bay for pre game 241 cocktails

"local" beer id recommend saddlers peaky blinders lager, they sponsor the baggies and the unwashed are maybe even more obsessed with them than they are us but its a good, so is their gin and rum (not sure on the whiskey i dont drink it) bank's amber bitter is good too

i would say IMO the best common beer you can get in a pub is Birra Moretti, personally id rather drink my own piss than drink carling, that said its an away game beer, for years i drank ales, a bit of Guinness etc but then football got me back on the lager, id go to games with 3 guys so drinking in a round of 4, "get me an ale / Guinness or even a cider" and the guy would trundle off to the bar for 20 minutes...."got you a carling" it was a losing battle so i just ended up on carling or fosters like everyone else, from memory the only one that bucked the trend was chelsea, they had singha on tap, can also remember southampton away being in a pub that had staropramen on tap and then the proper tankards in the freezer, that was a great day until mane scored a hattrick in 2 minutes

Â