Authentic Beer for a Villa Game

DWG_Pauly

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

id stopped drinking by the grounds as every season they seemingly closed another pub, seriously it was like 4 years in a season the pub i drank in for the season got closed at the end of it, tried the aston tavern and it was ok, long queues i found, great refurb though, tried the holte suite and thats sound if you can get in, the holte pub had terrible staff, not sure if they were agency or what but that felt like a place that was only open every other saturday and was a mess, now i think the lot i used to go to games with drink in the city centre before the games, around colmore row so the old joint stock, wellington, lost and found before making their way to turtle bay for pre game 241 cocktails

I suspect outside of Villa there is almost zero custom for them. The area has a large Muslim population so pubs are really just not going to get much custom. 

Added to which most pubs can't make money off beer anyway, the food is the money spinner.  I mean if you want to go out for a pub lunch no one is going over to Aston are they? 

So basically you have to make enough money on match day to see you through the next 2 weeks and close season.  It's going to be a challenge. 

I assume the Aston Tavern gets a fair bit of business from the big Industrial Estates.  Would be a nice place to go for lunch I would think, probably the only place in the immediate vicinity. 

Somewhere like The Adventurers would just have no chance. 

The ONLY thing the noses have over us is all the ace pubs in Digbeth to use on match day. 

• Like 1

Yeah the addies was a catch 22 in that you wanted to turn up early on a match day but you definitely didn't want the first beer out of the pipes... 

Gary was sound though, we had the back room in there so I liked it, always busy enough without being daft 

The tavern by comparison away from the main bar I'm sure had some bottle / can stations dotted about so you didn't have to worry about it

Fond memory of the addies was getting there on Derby day at 6am or 7am when it opened so you could get some beer in and 2 guys came in stood next to me at the bar, fresh out of a taxi from Broad Street where they'd been all night and started doing shots of after shock 😂 they were hammered 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

id stopped drinking by the grounds as every season they seemingly closed another pub, seriously it was like 4 years in a season the pub i drank in for the season got closed at the end of it, tried the aston tavern and it was ok, long queues i found, great refurb though, tried the holte suite and thats sound if you can get in, the holte pub had terrible staff, not sure if they were agency or what but that felt like a place that was only open every other saturday and was a mess, now i think the lot i used to go to games with drink in the city centre before the games, around colmore row so the old joint stock, wellington, lost and found before making their way to turtle bay for pre game 241 cocktails

"local" beer id recommend saddlers peaky blinders lager, they sponsor the baggies and the unwashed are maybe even more obsessed with them than they are us but its a good, so is their gin and rum (not sure on the whiskey i dont drink it) bank's amber bitter is good too

i would say IMO the best common beer you can get in a pub is Birra Moretti, personally id rather drink my own piss than drink carling, that said its an away game beer, for years i drank ales, a bit of Guinness etc but then football got me back on the lager, id go to games with 3 guys so drinking in a round of 4, "get me an ale / Guinness or even a cider" and the guy would trundle off to the bar for 20 minutes...."got you a carling" it was a losing battle so i just ended up on carling or fosters like everyone else, from memory the only one that bucked the trend was chelsea, they had singha on tap, can also remember southampton away being in a pub that had staropramen on tap and then the proper tankards in the freezer, that was a great day until mane scored a hattrick in 2 minutes

I can get Birra Moretti around here, I believe. A 2 minute hat trick?! Damn.

18 minutes ago, DWG_Pauly said:

I can get Birra Moretti around here, I believe. A 2 minute hat trick?! Damn.

last away game of the season, cant remember if there was beer in the ground or not but it was a long drive down and then a couple of hours in the pub so i was well oiled for the game, me and the lad i was with walked out when they went 2-0 up after 14 minutes, by the time we made it from our seat to the steps he scored the 3rd

went and sat in a saints pub down the road, we passed villa fans who hadnt even gone in yet on the way, turned out later that there was a frankie and bennies closer to the ground which i think a fair few villa fans ended up in

happened to me a few times when we were the shit that wouldnt flush, can also remember a weekend away for spurs last game of the season where there was no beer in the ground 3-0 down and a ruck of villa fans walked out and went and sat in a spurs boozer outside the ground

during bruce this kind of drinking started at the home games too and i pulled the plug and stopped going

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Can also remember a weekend away for spurs last game of the season where there was no beer in the ground 3-0 down and a ruck of villa fans walked out and went and sat in a spurs boozer outside the ground

during bruce this kind of drinking started at the home games too and i pulled the plug and stopped going

I think I was at that game.  There was a Villa fan in Jesus fancy dress.  When we were 3 - 0 down he went to the front of the stand and was strutting around, playing up to the crowd who went mad.  All the fans were singing "We need a miracle" and "Jesus is a Villa fan" etc 

Proper gallows humour.  Such a depressing few years we've had. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think I was at that game.  There was a Villa fan in Jesus fancy dress.  When we were 3 - 0 down he went to the front of the stand and was strutting around, playing up to the crowd who went mad.  All the fans were singing "We need a miracle" and "Jesus is a Villa fan" etc 

I remember that day pretty fondly actually.  I drank in home pubs either side of the game and my Spurs mates said we were hilarious.
That was the game where we had about half a dozen fans dressed up as traffic cones to all lining up along the road outside the ground.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I remember that day pretty fondly actually.  I drank in home pubs either side of the game and my Spurs mates said we were hilarious.
That was the game where we had about half a dozen fans dressed up as traffic cones to all lining up along the road outside the ground.

Yes, there is a video of the traffic cone lads  jumping in front of cars and stopping the traffic on the way to the ground. 

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, there is a video of the traffic cone lads  jumping in front of cars and stopping the traffic on the way to the ground. 

I’ve just watched this on YouTube, then spent 30 mins watching videos of fans singing. I really miss Villa Park, feels like years since we were allowed to go 😢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I remember the last game of 15/16 when we were already relegated and lost 4 nil to Arsenal away. There was a Villa congo and renditions of we will meet again. Class.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's was the kidderminster lot that I was with, we had the Irish centre in harringay for a few hours, it was over spilling and the cops came round and told us where the off license so we could carry on, was a great day ruined by the football

• Like 1

On 04/01/2021 at 16:19, Genie said:

Carling

Edit: As you’re not from around here I should probably add a few more words. Carling is a very popular beer in the UK but it also has a reputation as a bit chavvy (might need to google that). It’s made locally in Burton.

Villa has a tie in with the beer brand Purity which is very nice so I imagine this is all you can get in the ground, if it ever re-opens.

England has so many 'real ales' (bitters) but Carling is still the only English lager I can think of. Having said that, though it's brewed in England, in Burton, I think I read somewhere recently, to my surprise, that Carling is owned by Coors, which I think is Canadian.

Personally I like Carling, Coors and Heineken, though I also like real ale.

Edited by robby b

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

If the OP is planning a trip to Brum, he doesn’t need our advice anyway.  One of his own compatriots can tell him all he needs...

I've seen that before, absolutely hilarious. 

He clearly never set foot anywhere in Brum.. He actually did about 5 of these for various UK cities. 

The makers obviously wanted to make Brum as shit as possible.  The over 40s disco is excruciating to watch.  Make it stop. 

Amazing how much has changed since then. 

If you want an American in Brum this is surely better? 

12+Clint+Eastwood+at+the+Albany+Hotel.jp

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2021 at 12:44, bickster said:

AgreeablePartialGlobefish-size_restricte

I plan on getting perverted soon. Was able to score Youngs DCS and a Banana Bread beer! I have yet to convince myself to drink the pickle beer, though.

IMG_4856_lo.jpg

Edited by DWG_Pauly

Â