Authentic Beer for a Villa Game

DWG_Pauly

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Actually if you were to visit Villa Park, indeed Birmingham and asked me to recommend a Pub to go to, The Bartons Arms would be top of my list by a country mile. 

A stunning pub, just stunning and so much history. It is owned by Oakham brewery so if you can get hold of anything from them that's what you would most likely be offered in The Bartons Arms.  My favourite is Citra and is a good enough reason to go to the pub in it's own right. 

https://www.thebartonsarms.com

Just don't look at the swimming baths over the road.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Just don't look at the swimming baths over the road.

The bus stop? That area is apparently in a sad state. : (

Edited by DWG_Pauly

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Actually if you were to visit Villa Park, indeed Birmingham and asked me to recommend a Pub to go to, The Bartons Arms would be top of my list by a country mile. 

A stunning pub, just stunning and so much history. It is owned by Oakham brewery so if you can get hold of anything from them that's what you would most likely be offered in The Bartons Arms.  My favourite is Citra and is a good enough reason to go to the pub in it's own right. 

https://www.thebartonsarms.com

I would have agreed  but alas I've met @bickster and @blandy in that pub and thus  now I can't think of anything but gravy on fish and crap music  whenever i think of the Barton Arms

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You certainly wouldn't be drinking anything in Central Birmingham for an authentic Villa drinking experience................ Apparently. 

Just for the OPs benefit, this is a quip about Small Heath's claims that Villa fans don't drink in town.  We're too scared apparently.

When you can finally make the trip over though we can recommend you lots of good pubs in town.  The aforementioned Barton Arms is the nicest one near to VP though whilst the best for matchday experience would be the Aston Social these days I guess.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good choices

In Brum city centre, its got to be the Wellington. A good proper pub. No music, no food, just loads of different ales (and a good whisky selection as well)

I'd recommend  Old Joint Stock and Post Office Vaults as pubs with character for someone visiting the city too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I'd recommend  Old Joint Stock and Post Office Vaults as pubs with character for someone visiting the city too.

God, I miss the pubs! 

• Like 1

M&B Brew XI, or a pint of Mild. 

As the old song goes...

Come to Birmingham you will see.

Ansells Brewery, M&B.

We don't drink whisky, we don't drink rum.

We are the Villa boys, from Brum. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I would have agreed  but alas I've met @bickster and @blandy in that pub and thus  now I can't think of anything but gravy on fish and crap music  whenever i think of the Barton Arms

You've met us in loads of pubs - so there we are gradually ruining the nations boozers for you. Result!  😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Budweiser may be 'The King of Beers' but is absolutely awful.  Here in NC, all everybody seems to drink. Either that, Coors, or Miller🤮

There is a big similarity with Carling and Bud in that they are both awful yet both widely drunk, and the reason behind that is because of hugely successful and clever advertising. 

The Carling Black Label adverts when the beer was launched were legendary. 

I would add the horror show that is Guinness to that.  A true advertising triumph. 

2 hours ago, DWG_Pauly said:

If I were to enjoy a beer during a match, what would I drink if I wanted to have an authentic Birmingham area pub/stadium experience?

Without ANY question, the finest local beer you will be able to get is Bathams which is brewed in The Black Country. It's my favourite beer in The World. 

However it's rarer than Hens Teeth. Nearly all of is sold in their own Black Country Pubs.  You might occasionally find it at a pub in Birmingham, most notably The Red Lion in The Jewellery Quarter which some fans will drink in before a game though it's a trek to Villa Park then. 

They do sell it in bottles so if you are really really really lucky you may pick up a bottle in USA.  @Xelaknows an off licence who sell it you you may be able to get some exported if you are like a millionaire or something. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Without ANY question, the finest local beer you will be able to get is Bathams which is brewed in The Black Country. It's my favourite beer in The World. 

However it's rarer than Hens Teeth. Nearly all of is sold in their own Black Country Pubs.  You might occasionally find it at a pub in Birmingham, most notably The Red Lion in The Jewellery Quarter which some fans will drink in before a game though it's a trek to Villa Park then. 

They do sell it in bottles so if you are really really really lucky you may pick up a bottle in USA.  @Xelaknows an off licence who sell it you you may be able to get some exported if you are like a millionaire or something. 

Sounds like a wonderful - if likely non-fruitful - quest when I finally get over there. We have a similar issue with a particular brew from west of Fort Worth. 

What do we know of Youngs Dbl. Choc. or Samuel Smith Organic Choc.?

Â