Holiday Plans 2021 (LOL)

Xela

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd do city if I was on my own, headphones in and get walking, would love to do somewhere massive like new York for a couple of days alone and go way off the beaten track, record shopping etc eating at some Ecuadorian place 

I can see the appeal, once you've cracked the cinema on your own its the natural step 😂

Done it, 3 weeks across all sorts of cities in Europe. Met with a friend for a few days as part of it; enjoyed it but missed the complete freedom.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd do city if I was on my own, headphones in and get walking, would love to do somewhere massive like new York for a couple of days alone and go way off the beaten track, record shopping etc eating at some Ecuadorian place 

I can see the appeal, once you've cracked the cinema on your own its the natural step 😂

Yeah I'd be up for that but I can't really be bothered with anything like that at the moment. I just want to sit and do nothing

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2021 at 16:37, villarule123 said:

Looking at going to Rome next month. £71 for 2 nights with flights for the two of us... what's the catch?!

Ryanair? 

I did Milan from stansted with Ryanair for something daft like £26 return for 2 of us 

They're OK if you have your head around them which surely by now everyone does? 

Then used someone like hot wire to get a 4 star hotel for 3 nights for around £50

Think the only place I've done cheaper was Istanbul which was about £50 for 2 people for 4 nights flight and hotel but that was a couple of weeks after the terrorist attack and a shit hotel 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I did Milan from stansted with Ryanair for something daft like £26 return for 2 of us 

They're OK if you have your head around them which surely by now everyone does? 

I won't fly with them. Used them once to get back from Riga to Stansted and it was like Butlins in the sky. 

I'd rather pay double/triple to fly with someone else. 

Used to have far more options for cheap carriers during the cheap flight heyday. BMI Baby were very good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for 2-3 nights away in January for me and my partner for somewhere in Europe? I was thinking Amsterdam as I've never been but don't know if it's all the hype. Looking at somewhere that's a bit more chilled and relaxing.

amsterdam is cool, its very busy and expensive though, i did a banksy exhibition there so had something to do, if you do anne frank and then either heineken or bols you'll be alright

have you tried skyscanner leaving from your local airport and going "everywhere"? will show you the cheapest flights

Milan is good, munich and barcelona really good, krakow is excellent, gdansk is ok but has the benefit of some really cheap air bnbs in the new apartment buildings, if you can get to stansted you'll open up loads of places with ryanair like cologne for £20 return but cologne is a bit like brum, shopping drinking eating but after that im not sure what you'd do here

all of these places will be cold

• Thanks 1

off to do some christmas markets in a few weeks. munich, nuremberg, salzburg, vienna. any recommendations of must sees? been to munich a few times but not the others (aside from seeing villa play in vienna yeaars ago)

tagging @NurembergVillan on the off chance he's actually from nuremberg too!

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

off to do some christmas markets in a few weeks. munich, nuremberg, salzburg, vienna. any recommendations of must sees? been to munich a few times but not the others (aside from seeing villa play in vienna yeaars ago)

tagging @NurembergVillan on the off chance he's actually from nuremberg too!

Not from there, but lived there for 6 years!

You'll be in for an absolute blast. The place is incredible at Christmas. How long do you have in NUE?

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not from there, but lived there for 6 years!

You'll be in for an absolute blast. The place is incredible at Christmas. How long do you have in NUE?

only a day trip unfortunately! we're in munich 3 nights before going to salzburg so just getting train over for a day from munich

Nuremberg is my favourite German city, I walked the aldstadt and city walls then went over to the nazi grounds, the museum there looked huge, didn't go in due to it taking more time than I had, pretty sure you can walk around there for a few hours round a pond thats OK, try the breakfast sausage, pretty sure they do a cheese spatzle too

Munich I've done a few times, obviously marienplatz and the centre but I'm guessing that's where the market is walk the Olympic Park and the English gardens, drink beer eat haxen with rotkohl, try the breakfast sausage! It's like a boiled white sausage it's not as good as the nuremberger but if you get the sweet mustard with it too its ok

Salzburg the fortress, walk up the hill will for the views, eat strudel 

Train for the whole lot? Rothenburg is a nice detour between nuremberg and Munich 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Nuremberg is my favourite German city, I walked the aldstadt and city walls then went over to the nazi grounds, the museum there looked huge, didn't go in due to it taking more time than I had, pretty sure you can walk around there for a few hours round a pond thats OK, try the breakfast sausage, pretty sure they do a cheese spatzle too

Munich I've done a few times, obviously marienplatz and the centre but I'm guessing that's where the market is walk the Olympic Park and the English gardens, drink beer eat haxen with rotkohl, try the breakfast sausage! It's like a boiled white sausage it's not as good as the nuremberger but if you get the sweet mustard with it too its ok

Salzburg the fortress, walk up the hill will for the views, eat strudel 

Train for the whole lot? Rothenburg is a nice detour between nuremberg and Munich 

yeah fly to munich, 3 nights there including a day trip to nuremberg, then train to salzburg just for a night then train to vienna for 2 nights, flying back from there. hoping a day is enough to see nuremberg properly

absolutely love haxen...can't bloody wait. already told the mrs that day 1 in munich we're going on a tour of a few of my favourite beer halls. but going to take her to the english gardens too because it's lovely there. got a couple of good beer halls in the middle of the gardens too!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Augistiner helles is my weapon of choice out of the Munich beers but honest you can't really go wrong, the Paulaner oktoberfest beer is good too

And try a dunkel 

love the augustiner keller plus the one basically opposite.

first day i'm taking the mrs around some of my favourite beer halls...she doesn't drink though. she'll have a whale of a time i'm sure.

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair drinking in Germany is usually a choice of beer or beer, at the market she should be able to get Gluhwein but even cocktails aren't the easiest of things to find, been in plenty of places that won't serve shorts until after 5pm too

yeah she said she'll give gluhwein a go but she know's she's unlikely to enjoy it! just not her thing. she's there for the markets, i'm there for the meat and beer

On 18/10/2021 at 08:55, Stevo985 said:

Just booked Cape Verde for a week at the end of November.

There appears to be absolutely **** all to do there, which is exactly what I'm after. Not my usual desire for a holiday, but on this occasion I want to sit on the beach or by the pool, read books and drink cocktails until I pass out

I fly on Sunday and so far it hasn't been cancelled :D 

Although the hotel which I took ages to pick did scare me by telling me they weren't open yet, despite taking my booking!

But looking forward to it. Ended up not being as cheap as I imagined, I upgraded a few things given my ability to go on nice holidays will probably be limited for the next few years. 

Â