Holiday Plans 2021 (LOL)

Xela

Flew to Hungary yesterday

i had a pre flight PCR as it was an entry requirement , but the 4 of us flew Easyjet to Budapest and entered the country without showing a single piece of evidence that we were vaccinated and had negative test results

Thought it would have been stricter than that 

never got through 2 airports so quickly 

After a lot of back and forth and pondering on it, I have decided for my 35th birthday in November to go to Puerto Rico for a week.

Wanted to go there for a long time.

Anyone else ever been?

Any tips? Suggestions? Etc?

Edited by Big Salad

On 23/08/2021 at 14:06, Robtaylor200 said:

I shall be watching the Chelsea game form here in September Benalmadena 

Give them some support if you are ever in the area 

The holte bar.jpg

I wont be watching the Chelsea game from here after all. They closed down today after a torrid 18 months of covid restrictions. I wish them all the best 

• Sad 1

I was in Gibraltar last week for 3 nights.  A slick operation at the airport after being greeted by very friendly staff at the border check (with arms out and after me showing my passenger locator form code on my phone - "come over here my friend, it is lovely to see you").  A quick Lateral Flow Test by lovely staff right outside and the short holiday began. Whilst we walked the road across the runway (which was closed for a while whilst a plane made the journey back to the UK ) we had the dreaded "ping!".  Fortunately it was a good ping to receive as we received confirmation that our LFTs were all negative.  

An amazing few days later and we had to book in our return LFTs before departing Gibraltar.  The system didn't send notification of the £30 payment (upon entering it was free) but I phoned the Gibraltarian contact number and a bloke with a northern accent assured me everything was fine, just turn up to the testing with our passports.  All was well and we was on our way.  A great flight back ("ooooh are you sharing that out with all of us, I'll get some glasses", as I walked on with the big 3 Ltr bottle of duty free :D) and a quick PCR test at the drive-through at Birmingham Airport upon landing (the test you need to have within 2 days). 

It was a brilliant time.  Things just felt so normal and it was so needed.  We paid about £180 for return flights from Birmingham and then about £80 a night at the Holiday Inn Express.  I wholeheartedly recommend it. 

20210829-012849.jpg

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

Four days in Copenhagen booked for October. It’s only «just down the road» but it’s international travel and a proper city break for the first time in, literally, years. 

• Like 1

help!

first time flying in nearly 2 years. We have a trip booked to Naples next month after taking the plunge ( the hotel had been pushed back 18 months since initial plans) . Now looking at the various requirements and I am utterly baffled. 

Supposed to take a PCR / antigen test two days before going, but unsure how I'm supposed to get the negative result in time? I've not done a PCR test and the instruction seems to talk about sending it off via post? I presume there must be another way of sorting this out. And if I'm right, I need to take a another COVID test once I'm in there, before coming back ( only going for 3 nights! ) and also contact someone in the UK once I've arrived in Italy too. 

Wish I hadn't bothered. Seems like a minefield. Is this all *obligatory* or just strongly encouraged?

Edited by Rodders

18 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Last minute honeymoon to the Maldives booked for Wednesday evening for a week. Good Times!

So jealous should have been there next week as well celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary, damn you red list, we booked it 2 years ago.

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

help!

first time flying in nearly 2 years. We have a trip booked to Naples next month after taking the plunge ( the hotel had been pushed back 18 months since initial plans) . Now looking at the various requirements and I am utterly baffled. 

Supposed to take a PCR / antigen test two days before going, but unsure how I'm supposed to get the negative result in time? I've not done a PCR test and the instruction seems to talk about sending it off via post? I presume there must be another way of sorting this out. And if I'm right, I need to take a another COVID test once I'm in there, before coming back ( only going for 3 nights! ) and also contact someone in the UK once I've arrived in Italy too. 

Wish I hadn't bothered. Seems like a minefield. Is this all *obligatory* or just strongly encouraged?

Who did you book with?  Normally most companies offer advice about what to do.  Make sure you pay attention to the timing of the PCR some countries it’s 72hrs before departure some 72hrs before arrival.

antigen test is just lateral flow but you normally can’t use NHS ones, ours we just took a picture of the result and uploaded it and we were good to go.  Same on the one to return to the UK, I think @tonyh29 and @SuperTed had to do a video call.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

help!

My mom used Medwyn and did it via video call, £45 

5 hours ago, Rodders said:

help!

I believe it’s obligatory but I tell you my experience and you can decide 

Family were going to Hungary and I literally decided to join them about 4 days before they went .

As it’s just up the road , I did my PCR at Heathrow airport via a company called Doctap… they take the swab and guarantee results by midnight the following day ( I got mine around 22:30) they email you to say they have put your sample on a courier , another one to say it’s arrived at the lab and another one when they start the analysis so there is no kinda panic about have they lost it that you’d get with the postal method … if they come back inconclusive then they upgrade you for free to a 4 hour test next morning 

paid £69 for that 

that said nobody checked it leaving Gatwick or when I arrived in Budapest but I wouldn’t take the chance 

Mrs h didn’t need this test as she is still a Hungarian Citizen and the kids didn’t need it as they are under 18

coming back you need an antigen or PCR test , antigen is a lot cheaper (it’s a nose job like the lateral flow )  … we booked ours in Hungary with a local company , the guy came to our hotel did the test and gave us the result in about 5 mins … paid about £18 for that .. again nobody checked them leaving Budapest or arriving at Gatwick.

we all had to have  this test

you need a day 2 test for after you get back to the  U.K , but you have to book this before you leave the U.K.  ... we booked that in the UK via a company called Dante Labs , they send it out to you and you do it when you get home , it’s basically a lateral flow test , they supply all the pre paid packaging so you just do it and post it for free . You definitely need that that as you need the reference number for your passenger locator form ( airline checked we had this form as we boarded the plane in Budapest )

we all needed to have this test 

the passenger locator form is written in English by someone who appears not to speak English but you can figure it out easily enough.. you can pre create an account and fill in name , passport number etc and then 72 hours before you come back to the U.K. you just enter your flight number , seat number and arrival time in the U.K. , plus where you will be for the next 10 days (ie home address )

we posted ours on Sat , no results yet , but no calls etc either 

When we landed at Gatwick we just went straight through an e-gate , at no point in our trip did we have to prove we were vaccinated , literally a glance at the locator form was the only check we had , but don’t take that for granted, get your checks as required.

prior to going it looked like it would be painful , but I’ve never had such a quick time through airports , I’ve already booked another trip for this year to Iceland based on how simple everything was this time around

hope that helps 

Edit- should add Hungary is Amber , but I think it’s the same process for Green

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just booked Cape Verde for a week at the end of November.

There appears to be absolutely **** all to do there, which is exactly what I'm after. Not my usual desire for a holiday, but on this occasion I want to sit on the beach or by the pool, read books and drink cocktails until I pass out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Just booked Cape Verde for a week at the end of November.

There appears to be absolutely **** all to do there, which is exactly what I'm after. Not my usual desire for a holiday, but on this occasion I want to sit on the beach or by the pool, read books and drink cocktails until I pass out

On your own?

I did a week in Sharm on my own about 10 years back. Absolutely loved it. Don't think I have ever been more relaxed. 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

On your own?

I did a week in Sharm on my own about 10 years back. Absolutely loved it. Don't think I have ever been more relaxed. 

Yep on my lonesome.

First holiday I've ever had on my own. Sad in a way but also looking forward to just doing whatever I **** feel like doing rather than having to agree on what the other person/people want to do.

And like I said, what I want to do is absolutely jack shit :D 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep on my lonesome.

First holiday I've ever had on my own. Sad in a way but also looking forward to just doing whatever I **** feel like doing rather than having to agree on what the other person/people want to do.

And like I said, what I want to do is absolutely jack shit :D 

You'll be fine and soon get into it. There is a great feeling of freedom knowing the whole day can be on your own terms. :)

• Like 1

I'd do city if I was on my own, headphones in and get walking, would love to do somewhere massive like new York for a couple of days alone and go way off the beaten track, record shopping etc eating at some Ecuadorian place 

I can see the appeal, once you've cracked the cinema on your own its the natural step 😂

Â