The Who or Led Zeppelin

maqroll

The Who or Led Zeppelin  

64 members have voted

1. 1. The Who or Led Zeppelin

• The Who
    • Led Zeppelin

A Who greatest hits fits on one cd a zep one takes up more space. Both bands are good however (or were good should I say) but Zep were better and only some green coat wearing hoover driver would disagree

I can't decide myself...I hear "Black Dog" and it's got to be Zeppelin. But then I hear "Behind Blue Eyes" and I haven't a doubt.

Tough call.

A Who greatest hits fits on one cd a zep one takes up more space. Both bands are good however (or were good should I say) but Zep were better and only some green coat wearing hoover driver would disagree

er whats a class 50 driver got to do with this?

At their peak Zeppelin were a fine, fine band, but for sheer length of career, versatility (from R&B band through witty pop singles, rock operas, intelligent lyrics and a powerhouse live act) it has to be the 'Oo.

Instrument for instrument it's a close call:

Moon v. Bonham. Probably a draw. The two greatest rock drummers of their era, with different styles, but both astonishing.

Entwistle v. Jones. Entwistle win, easy.

Daltrey v. Plant. Plant at his peak wins easily, but you have to say that RD made the most of what he had, and has kept in better shape for longer. Draw.

Townshend v. Page (as musicians). Looks like an easy win for Page, but I dunno. PT is not just a powerhouse rhythm player, he has real skill, and always harnessed it to the needs of the song. Multi-instrumentalist, too. Draw.

Townshend v. Page (as songwriters). Townshend by a street. Probably the most intelligent and thoughtful rock musician of his g-g-g-generation.

Love 'em both, though, and glad to have been around when they were both at their peak in the early 70s.

Zeppelin. 'Tommy' was the only good thin The Who ever did.
As a HUGE Who fan, I have to say that "Tommy" is among my least favourite of their albums. "Who's Next", however, is immense.

The Who. As someone said, Moon and Entwistle were fantastic.

I do like Led Zep as well though.

Did you know? Led Zeppelin got their name from Keith Moon after he said they would go down like a lead balloon.

Can't choose between them. Both started off awesome and became overblown behemoths.

Early Zep 1969-1970 with their heavy the psychedelic blues sound, Jimmy's painted telecaster and his hippy velvet pants were just superb. They looked good and sounded better IMO than their more famous 70's era with the flairs and big stadium shows.

Zep

The Who were great in their early days too, with their classic early British RnB sound and their mod clothing. But like Zeppelin went downhill as the music became too fat and self indulgent.

Who

I find it impossible to choose which I prefer? :|

Impossible to decide for me too - love both. Agree that Tommy is the worst Who album though - I love Who's Next, Who Sell out and Quadrophenia best but then again, my all time favourite track is Led Zep - Thank You from Led Zep II (which rarely gets played publicly)/ Tough call and impossible to choose for me. I saw the Who Live in 1990 when Kenny Jones was on drums - they were fantastic even then - played a really long set without an interval - one of the best I've seen live.

I love Who's Next, Who Sell out and Quadrophenia best but then again, my all time favourite track is Led Zep - Thank You from Led Zep II
Will you marry me? :lol:

Â