Goals Goals Goals

villa4europe

57 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dont know if its some sub conscious European elitism in me but American commentary always sounds ridiculous to me. And further than that, hearing Americans talk about 'soccer' with all there Americanisms instantly makes me think they're idiots 

• Like 3

When he called him "gonzalo" I thought the same 

Watch a fair bit of NFL though and it fits, Tony Romo is the best commentator in any sport 

Its just football that they seem so confused with, always over sell everything and the terminology is obviously off 

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Watch a fair bit of NFL though and it fits, Tony Romo is the best commentator in any sport 

Its just football that they seem so confused with, always over sell everything and the terminology is obviously off 

“Head shot, top of the 6” is one of my favourites. Closely followed by “kick save!”

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think it has more with the idea that commentators here try to make MLS more important than it is on a global scale. I think the voice of MN United, Callum Wilson, is the best in the biz in the MLS. He’s English and a big Villa fan. Much better than some of the other stuff we get over here.

Coincidentally, I can’t stand Tony Romo. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

kick save 🤣 is that a tackle?

Its when the keeper saves a shot with his feet. I’ve only ever heard it said by American commentators. Maybe it’s a phrase used in ice hockey or another American sport?

It's like back in the days when Eurosport used to cover the Ice Hockey world cup with English commentators and every single shot was a "great save by the goalie" even thou the puck clearly hit the board and not the goalie. 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its when the keeper saves a shot with his feet. I’ve only ever heard it said by American commentators. Maybe it’s a phrase used in ice hockey or another American sport?

Yup, it's a hockey thing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

It was a good goal, an “all timer” if you must. However, how can he say it was from 35 yards out when he was in the box 😂

I think he meant the cross was from 35 yards away, which to be fair might be about right.

Â