Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Posted (edited)

A fair number of people (myself included) were sceptical about signing Tielemans and that has turned out to be an astute piece of business. The Ross Barkley we saw in the second half of his loan with us was one of the most pitiful sights I've seen on a football pitch, but this past season he's had at Luton proves that there is still a real player there. He's been very effective as a playmaker against even the better sides in the PL, despite being in a very poor team. If we assume that he's a rotation option and that he could cover in 2 or 3 positions then I don't think there's much risk involved for a small fee and his wages. If he's the Luiz replacement then the conversation changes, of course!

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Just check the date of the quote! In September 2020 it was a bit of coup to loan him from Chelsea.

😂😂😂 sorry, I dunno how I was a million pages off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, East London Villa said:

The man had 3 good games for Villa in his first spell. The rest was terrible. I did always wonder if COVID affected him quite badly, but either way I'm very surprised we're going back for him.

Where would he play? Not disciplined enough for the deeper positions, so must be wide or more likely number 10. But who makes way for him, given we are already at the limit on UEFA squad size? I certainly wouldn't swap any of Buendia Bailey Diaby Tielemans McGinn Ramsey Rogers for him. Unless we're just signing him for the league and cups?

Monchi. Mate. I have so many questions!

Back up for Luiz, meaning Tielemans and McGinn can stay further up if Luiz is out. His discipline and work rate has improved a lot and his role at Luton has been similar to Luiz's more advanced role earlier in the season before Kamara got injured.

Going off his Luton performances i'd even go so far as to say he could be a back up option to Kamara. But concerns about his discipline would definitely be valid in that role.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ngl, when Ross Barkley is on form he’s a real good player. Only lacked consistency. Let’s hope he has it now and Emery can get more out of him  

Edited by CarryOnVilla

Posted (edited)

Not all the players we bring in this close season will be automatic starters in the first XI. 

we need to work smart with the available funds and bring in some cost effective players that improve the quality on the bench. He has had a good season at Luton so no reason to think there is much risk with this.

i see him as a DenDonker/Chambers replacement, probably on lesser wages.

if he’s good enough for Unai and Monchi, that’ll do for me!

Edited by Lochheads twin
Typo

20 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Jesus... Not sure about this one tbh.

19 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Have i entered the joke thread by accident...

Were signing Ross Barkley again?

I think this is an astute signing. He provides coverage for at least 2 positions maybe 3 vs the weakest opposition we can face. 

He provides size and physicality to our midfield which we currently lack. He's a very good forward passer of the ball and very good at carrying it from deep. Think of how bad the mcginn and Luiz partnership was because mcginn rarely if ever showed for the ball from the CBs. Barkley will show for the ball and he will make aggressive passes and try to beat presses. He can also play further up the pitch. 

He's turning 30 he probably can't play every game consistently, signing for us will allow his minutes load to be reduced whilst still getting regular football. 20-30 minutes off the bench in the prem most weeks. Starting in the cups and vs the bottom 5. That should be plenty of minutes for a pkayer moving into his 30s. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Free transfer, no brainer

But with a year left he could cost a chunkyish fee for someone who has a fairly iffy injury record and only really one good season to show for a career that should have seen him be an England regular.

70% of the time he was with us he was piddle, but class the other 30% and nothing inbetween

be nice to have someone who can take set pieces though as ours have gone to shite

Edited by VillanousOne

3 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

A fair number of people (myself included) were sceptical about signing Tielemans and that has turned out to be an astute piece of business. The Ross Barkley we saw in the second half of his loan with us was one of the most pitiful sights I've seen on a football pitch, but this past season he's had at Luton proves that there is still a real player there. He's been very effective as a playmaker against even the better sides in the PL, despite being in a very poor team. If we assume that he's a rotation option and that he could cover in 2 or 3 positions then I don't think there's much risk involved for a small fee and his wages. If he's the Luiz replacement then the conversation changes, of course!

He as a whole was rather good before his injury too. He had some bad games but generally was quite decent.

His hamstrings gave up on him that season and he simply couldn't move. We are now in a position where playing hon through a hamstring injury like that won't be necessary and a lower laid will reduce his risk of injury. If he can maintain the level he's shown this season and or the level he had at the start of the year with us before then this is a good singing especially on a free. 

To be fair to Barkley, his second half of the season last time he was at Villa consisted of a) getting a bad injury (at Brighton) & b) presumably being affected by COVID.

In hindsight I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. That's tough on anyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Back up for Luiz, meaning Tielemans and McGinn can stay further up if Luiz is out. His discipline and work rate has improved a lot and his role at Luton has been similar to Luiz's more advanced role earlier in the season before Kamara got injured.

Going off his Luton performances i'd even go so far as to say he could be a back up option to Kamara. But concerns about his discipline would definitely be valid in that role.

When he was here previously he did literally no defending. He's made progress at Luton but for the level we're at, I cannot see how you trust him in either of the deep midfield roles. Got to be further forward surely!

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

To be fair to Barkley, his second half of the season last time he was at Villa consisted of a) getting a bad injury (at Brighton) & b) presumably being affected by COVID.

Dude was blowing chunks by the time 20 minutes passed. Similar to how mcginn was in that period and under Steven Gerrard. Our standards are higher now and if eh can maintain his fitness and form he's a good player 

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

First half of the season he was also terrible in most games, let's not forget that.

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I don't remember exactly, but wasn't the team as a whole on somewhat of a downward trajectory in the second half of the season too?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, East London Villa said:

When he was here previously he did literally no defending. He's made progress at Luton but for the level we're at, I cannot see how you trust him in either of the deep midfield roles. Got to be further forward surely!

You're right, but he's developed as a player since then. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given he's been good in a deep role for Luton this season. Also, I have faith in Unai to get the best out of anyone.

Edited by DaoDeMings

Just now, East London Villa said:

As I said you aren't signing him to be playing vs city or whoever. You are signing him to be effective in the cups and vs weaker prem teams. 

Tielemans also had a reputation for not being a good defender at Leicester there is no reason we couldn't get Barkley to a similar level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaoDeMings said:

I don't remember exactly, but wasn't the team as a whole on somewhat of a downward trajectory in the second half of the season too?

Grealish got injured. So yes. 

Â