The AVFC FFP thread

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

That graph is the strength of the Premier League, where revenue is spread more evenly the league is more interesting.

That's what I don't get.  They can't see that it's equality of income therefore competition that makes the product exciting. 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's what I don't get.  They can't see that it's equality of income therefore competition that makes the product exciting. 

They can see it but they don't want it. Do you really think that they are interested in competition for their clubs?

The problem is that they have been running their clubs unsustainably for too long to keep up with the petrodollars. Abramovich et al broke football. PSG's chairman basically said this was the plan when they bought Neymar - to create a completely overinflated market. The big clubs of 20 years ago remained at the top and Barca struck gold with a ridiculous crop of homegrown talent, but their control is being slowly eroded. They think that the solution is to bring in more and more money. It just hasn't occured to them yet that the solution is to restrict the spending power of the oil financed clubs through regulations UEFA/FIFA. FFP tried to do this but didn't work.

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

That graph is the strength of the Premier League, where revenue is spread more evenly the league is more interesting.

I assume this is earnings from the league only (placing and TV revenue)? Whoever qualifies for the champions league would surely get masses more?

Crazy that even the last placed PL team gets more than the winners of either the German or Italian leagues, despite them getting a much higher percentage of their leagues income.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think they think that the new league will be compelling and have larger revenue.

They would be correct in this if it was qualified for.

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

The gap in spain is huge. I mean I expected Barca and Real to be way ahead but the gap between Atletico Madrid and the rest is big as well. Teams like Valencia and Seville should be nearer. Seville have won the Euriopa League 4 times in the past 10 years. Presume this is down to the seperate negiotating rights the teams have. 

• Like 1

The first thing I notice is that the Board report section isn't something I've really seen in previous accounts - there's usually a bit about it, but this seems to me to be written for an audience that isn't accountants - it's there for journalists and y'know, weirdo's like you and me who read the accounts....and it's absolutely jam packed full of good stuff, we do loads and loads of things in exactly the right way. It's good to read.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

The gap in spain is huge. I mean I expected Barca and Real to be way ahead but the gap between Atletico Madrid and the rest is big as well. Teams like Valencia and Seville should be nearer. Seville have won the Euriopa League 4 times in the past 10 years. Presume this is down to the seperate negiotating rights the teams have. 

From what I remember from like 10-15 years ago the TV-deal was roughly that Barca & Real took 50% of the cash. Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia and I think 1 more club had about 25% and the rest of the clubs shared the remaining 25%. Probably not the correct numbers and will have changed by now anyway but the divide was/is massive.

If I'm reading the numbers correctly*, then in terms of the P&L, if we take into account the weird thing where part of last seasons income isn't in these accounts because of the break in the season, it looks like (other than in buying players) we operate at pretty much a break even point. That's good, it means if we were to lose the directors we wouldn't immediately collapse.

It also means that in real terms every penny of the money we've spent on buying players in the last couple of years has come straight out of the pockets of Wes and Nassef - we don't generate any of that ourselves at all.

*I'm very often not reading the numbers correctly.

• Thanks 1

The breakdown of incomes is interesting:

Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 14.46.43.png

Gate receipts in total at less than 10% of our total income shows a little of why the fan in the stadium and the season ticket holder doesn't have the same influence on decision making as they used to.

Sponsorship is almost level with gate receipts over the shortened season - all of this is pre-Cazoo I think, so it'll be interesting to see what number is next time out, it'd be nice if it were to overtake ticket sales - sponsorship and commercial incomes are the ones where the 'super' clubs have the biggest differences to us and as such those are numbers that might give an indication of our underlying growth and health and ultimately will help in reaching a point where we can lessen the burden of investment on Wes and Nassef.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wow - contributions by the owners of £126,410,000 in that year.

That's a lot of money. 

That's the kind of amount that makes Daniel Levy do dumb things.

A big investment but almost every signing we've made since promotion now has a higher value (especially Konsa, Martinez, Cash, Douglas Luiz) 

How much were we bought for? £60m? We must be worth £300-400m now. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

We have 184 players, team managers and coaches we employ - there's a fun game you can play at home.

184? I could probably name about 11 :trollface:

Edited by PieFacE

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The breakdown of incomes is interesting:

Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 14.46.43.png

Gate receipts in total at less than 10% of our total income shows a little of why the fan in the stadium and the season ticket holder doesn't have the same influence on decision making as they used to.

Sponsorship is almost level with gate receipts over the shortened season - all of this is pre-Cazoo I think, so it'll be interesting to see what number is next time out, it'd be nice if it were to overtake ticket sales - sponsorship and commercial incomes are the ones where the 'super' clubs have the biggest differences to us and as such those are numbers that might give an indication of our underlying growth and health and ultimately will help in reaching a point where we can lessen the burden of investment on Wes and Nassef.

Yes but 2020 I presume is impacted because only about a third of the year we had attendances? Match day receipts are less important relative to broadcasting but with so much uncertainty going on with what happened this week and the next round of premier league rights, looking to maximise this through some ground improvements looks a reasonably sensible move.

If I'm reading it right, we rent the stadium from ourselves for £2.6m a season, but we also receive the benefit of the £793k interest that we're paying ourselves on the loan we gave to ourselves for the cost of the stadium. This leads me to believe I'm not reading it right.

• Like 1

Â