Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

Maybe, a bit like a referee who has given a very soft penalty to the away side the speaker will try and even it up by being super lenient on something to go the Tories way. 

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Westminster being seen to be run for the benefit of the two main parties in Westminster is probably as good an outcome as the SNP could have hoped for.

Well maybe. Obviously amongst their supporters that’s right. But maybe voters or supporters of other parties might view what the SNP did in a slightly more cynical light?  As well they might view what the speaker, Labour and the Tories did in a similarly cynical light?

Absolutely no one came out of it well from my perspective and though I’m not a supporter or voter for any of them, the whole thing just seemed grubby game playing to me and the speaker, who seems out of his depth at times, took a hit.

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well maybe. Obviously amongst their supporters that’s right. But maybe voters or supporters of other parties might view what the SNP did in a slightly more cynical light?

That's not really something that the SNP need to give much a toss about though, is it? They don't have potential voters in Wigan or Truro that they need to make sure they are keeping up political appearances to appease or persuade.

Their whole Westminster raison d'être is to convince slightly more than half of Scotland that they shouldn't need to be there and they can do the same thing just as well or badly in Edinburgh. 

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

That's not really something that the SNP need to give much a toss about though, is it? They don't have potential voters in Wigan or Truro that they need to make sure they are keeping up political appearances to appease or persuade.

Their whole Westminster raison d'être is to convince slightly more than half of Scotland that they shouldn't need to be there and they can do the same thing just as well or badly in Edinburgh. 

I am assuming the majority of the pressure on the speaker is from the Tories and it will be them he needs to get onside to keep his job (which underlines the point the SNP are making, they are insignificant in Westminster).

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I dunno. I mean the problem in my mind is the artificiality of it. By that I mean they wanted a debate and vote on their view that there should be a ceasefire in Gaza. Now I think there should be a ceasefire, I agree with their stance… but …the opposition day stuff is meaningless anyway, but in the case of Israel it’s double meaningless because what the SNP or opposition parties in parliament want is not something that overly troubles Netanyahu.

If it were a debate/ vote on something that actually affected the lives or circumstances of Scotlands residents and they’d been thwarted I’d agree with you, but they were (though they had every right to) playing games too. Labour poses a threat to them. Labour is divided on Gaza, expose that!  What followed that bit of point scoring was Labour spiking it and then the Tories spiking Labour and then the speaker letting all that spiking go through. The little kid got bundled, the speaker got on the wrong side of “protocol” then the angry ones did angry things and want the speaker out.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno. I mean the problem in my mind is the artificiality of it. By that I mean they wanted a debate and vote on their view that there should be a ceasefire in Gaza. Now I think there should be a ceasefire, I agree with their stance… but …the opposition day stuff is meaningless anyway, but in the case of Israel it’s double meaningless because what the SNP or opposition parties in parliament want is not something that overly troubles Netanyahu.

If it were a debate/ vote on something that actually affected the lives or circumstances of Scotlands residents and they’d been thwarted I’d agree with you, but they were (though they had every right to) playing games too. Labour poses a threat to them. Labour is divided on Gaza, expose that!  What followed that bit of point scoring was Labour spiking it and then the Tories spiking Labour and then the speaker letting all that spiking go through. The little kid got bundled, the speaker got on the wrong side of “protocol” then the angry ones did angry things and want the speaker out.

Well....yes. That's what I'm saying. They don't care about Gaza any more or less than anyone does. As I've said, they're chucking stones and seeing if they can break a few windows.

If the thing that had exposed divisions in other parties and made Westminster look like a pointless waste of space to make an extra few people in Scotland think "we might as well be out of that nonsense" had been council bin collections or the coup d'état in Gabon then they'd have used that instead. 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I am assuming the majority of the pressure on the speaker is from the Tories and it will be them he needs to get onside to keep his job (which underlines the point the SNP are making, they are insignificant in Westminster).

I think its likely that every one of the SNP has signed the no confidence, so over half of the signatures will be them. The rest will be Tories

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think its likely that every one of the SNP has signed the no confidence, so over half of the signatures will be them. The rest will be Tories

Yep, the speaker will be worried about more Tories getting behind the movement. That will threaten his position, not anything the SNP say or do.

The promised, proposed, and refused second debate was to be on arms and logistics support for the continuing Israeli assault on Gaza.

I guess it could be awks again for those Labour and Tory MP’s that don’t want to look like they are facilitating murder, but also don’t want to stop facilitating murder.

There is another point to consider here, and that is that the SNP are utterly fuced financially and politically at the moment, and there's an election coming up. They need some big wins to turn things around. Anyone notice any big wins here?

11 minutes ago, Anthony said:

There is another point to consider here, and that is that the SNP are utterly fuced financially and politically at the moment, and there's an election coming up. They need some big wins to turn things around. Anyone notice any big wins here?

I believe they’ve recently put a rather fancy motor home up for sale, so funds incoming.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Yep, the speaker will be worried about more Tories getting behind the movement. That will threaten his position, not anything the SNP say or do.

No not really, the Tories doing it are on the fringes. The leadership really don't want to get involved as explained upthread

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson resigning immediately as leader of DUP. All social media deleted. 

Campaign organiser for Enoch Powell at 2 elections. Pro Brexit. Propped up May’s government, then complained when he got what he’d voted for.

As a N.I. based MP voted in Westminster against gay marriage in England. Anti any LGBQ equality legislation.

Currently charged with rape and other offences.

Just an all round good egg.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, bickster said:

It seems Sturgeon's husband has now been arrested and charged with embezzling SNP funds

• Haha 1

And I would nick six hundred grand  and I would nick 600 more, just to be the man who parked a camper van outside my mums front door.

• Haha 4

... and the Bute House Agreement is at an end. Inevitable really as soon as the SNP rolled back the net zero stuff. Power sharing between the SNP and The Greens in Scotland is at an end

Cue lots of squabbling between them

1 hour ago, bickster said:

... and the Bute House Agreement is at an end. Inevitable really as soon as the SNP rolled back the net zero stuff. Power sharing between the SNP and The Greens in Scotland is at an end

Cue lots of squabbling between them

Can you explain to me what's happening here? 

I know zero about Scottish politics but to row back on net zero agreements when you're in a coalition with The Greens seems insane. 

Â