Loan Thread 20/21

Hornso

Summary from the weekend - No cup luck

Cameron Archer (Solihull Moors)
Away at Morecambe (4-2 AET) [FA Cup 2nd Round] - Came on after 60 minutes. Assist. (Thanks to @OutByEaster? for drawing my attention to it).

Lewis Brunt (Gloucester City)
Home to Farsley Celtic (1-2) - Played 90 minutes.

Jack Clarke (Yeovil)
Away at Stockport County (3-2 AET) [FA Cup 2nd Round] -  Not in the squad.

Ben Guy (Portadown)
Away at Cliftonville (5-0) - Not in the squad.

Viljami Sinisalo (Ayr)
Away at Livingston (4-0) [League Cup] - Played 90 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Summary from Tuesday night - Archer & Brunt in action

Home to Hartlepool (2-0) - Substituted after 60 minutes.

Lewis Brunt (Gloucester City)
Home to Boston United (0-0) - Played 90 minutes.

Jack Clarke (Yeovil)
Home to Eastleigh (1-3) -  Not in the squad.

Indiana Vassilev (Burton)
Away at Sunderland (1-1) - Not in the squad.

• Thanks 1

Summary from the weekend - Tumbleweeds

Away at Sutton United (4-1) - Substituted after 56 minutes.

Ben Guy (Portadown)
Home to Ballymena (0-0) - Not in the squad.

Viljami Sinisalo (Ayr)
Away at Alloa Athletic (0-2) - Played 90 minutes.

Indiana Vassilev (Burton)
Home to Crewe Alexandria (1-1) - Not in the squad.

Jake Walker (Alvechurch)
Games further postponed. To be reviewed on Dec 16th & Dec 30th.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Vassilev’s loan looks to be going well then....unless he’s injured of course?

I believe Vassilev, Clarke & Guy are all injured, but I can't find anything to confirm. Vassilev's loan hasn't gone well prior to injury either.

It's sad to see Vassilev's loan going poorly - it's not looking like he'll make it, as things stand. From his limited exposure in the first team, he looked like a deer in headlights most of the time - the pressure of the situation just being a bit too much for him. I was hoping that it'd pass, but I guess that with each game that it doesn't, it just seems to get worse. You compare that to Ramsey, who just slotted right in and looked the part, and you can see the difference quite clearly IMO.

• Like 1

I think Ramsey is probably a better player than Vassilev, but Ramsey going to a team challenging for promotion and Vassilev going to a team battling relegation probably makes a big difference as well. Would have been very hard for Ramsey to have made the same kind of impact for a struggling Burton side, maybe he wouldn't have scored for them as they're not as good as an attacking team as Doncaster, and people's perception of how his loan went would be completely different, similary if Vassilev had have gone to a better side that liked to attack then he might be doing better now and seen in a more positive light.

Whether or not Vassilev will end up being good enough for us I don't know, but I think he's probably better than his curren loan is suggesting, and to be fair to him before his injury he was at least getting regular game time, so must have been doing something right.

If he we couldn't find him a better league one side then maybe he would have been better off going to a league two side likely to challenge for promotion, playing in a team that's going to be attacking a lot, Archer is probably getting more benefit playing for Solihull in the non league than he would at a struggling league two team.

We probably could do with a loan manager as was suggested a few weeks back, to help with finding the right kind of clubs for our individual players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

We probably could do with a loan manager as was suggested a few weeks back, to help with finding the right kind of clubs for our individual players.

Tbh it will probably matter more next season when we start to loan out the better crop!

• Like 1

Yes and finding better clubs for our youngsters, I don't think necessarily has to mean finding them clubs higher up the football pyramid, main thing is finding somewhere where they can settle and with a team that's going to play to their strengths, also where they're actually going to be needed from time to time.

• Like 3

There needs to be a much better affiliation with smaller clubs, perhaps even playing our youngsters a level below where they could to get time but having enough gravitas to help that smaller club but mandate the players need regular game time.

the alternative is for bigger clubs to hoard players and not let them out which helps no one.

• Like 1

Been searching Facebook/Twitter for some help on info. Thanks to the admin of Walking Down a Brownstown Road, Ben Guy broke his knuckles in the first league game of the season and hopefully will be back soon.

Still waiting to hear back from some Yeovil Town fans in regards to Jack Clarke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This quote from the Burton manager, in the Birmingham Mail, make it sound like form rather than an injury is the reason for Vassilev's recent absence from their squads...

'"I can’t argue with his effort or his attitude," Buxton said of Villa's teenager. "He has been top drawer. He got himself in a little bit of a rut in terms of form, in terms of not quite being at it. It’s his first loan, he’s still a young lad and he’s going to have dips. But he’s coming out of the other side of it and this week, he has been at his brightest for two or three weeks. If he carries on like that, he will get himself back in the squad."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 23:42, HanoiVillan said:

'Broke his knuckles' . . . unusual injury in football, no?

Got another message from the Portadown Facebook group

Ben Guy was due back last week after getting his stitches removed however when the surgeon was checking the finger he wasn’t happy so Ben had had to go in for a second operation today, we don’t have a time scale for him returning but I’d be very surprised if it was before mid January at the least.

• Sad 1

Â