Loan Thread 20/21

Hornso

Summary from the weekend

Cameron Archer (Solihull Moors)
Away at Woking (2-1) - Came on after 59 minutes. 

Jack Clarke (Yeovil)
Away at King's Lynn (2-2) - Substituted after 59 minutes.

Viljami Sinisalo (Ayr)
Away at Partick Thistle (2-2) [Friendly] - Played 90 minutes (I believe...)

Indiana Vassilev (Burton)
Home to Portsmouth (2-4) - Came on after 66 minutes. WhoScored rating of 6.09.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 04/10/2020 at 03:31, useless said:

Jack Clarke making his league debut for Yeovil against King's Lynn 17:30 kick-off, live on BT sport.

Anyone able to provide some more insight other than my basic facts?

I only managed to watch the first thirty or so minutes, in that time he didn't really get into the game a great deal, although it wasn't for a lack of effort on his part, he was definitely putting the workrate in, and you could see he has quality with his movement and whenever he did manage to get on the ball he was looking to make things happen.

Edited by useless
Highlights don't really show much of Clarke's contribution.
  • Thanks 2

Portadown Football Club is pleased to announce the signing of 19 year old midfielder Ben Guy on a season long loan from English Premier League side Aston Villa.

Ben joined Aston Villa as a 8 year old coming through the ranks at Villa Park with their Under-18 and Under-21 teams before becoming a key component of the Villa Under-23 squad during the 2019/20 season making 12 Premier League 2 appearances and scoring once as Villa finished seventh. So far this season he’s made two appearances for Aston Villa U23’s and was a second half substitute in their 1-0 win over Crystal Palace last Friday evening.

Ben spent the second half of last season on loan with a team familiar to Ports fans, Belper Town, who play in the Northern Premier League Division One South East and made two appearances for them after arriving in February before the league was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic in March.

Ports Get Their Guy

• Thanks 2

Summary from Tuesday night

Home to Wrexham (1-0) - Played 90 minutes. 

Jack Clarke (Yeovil)
Home to Wealdstone (2-2) - Substituted after 81 minutes.

Viljami Sinisalo (Ayr)
Away at Albion Rovers (2-5) [League Cup] - Played 90 minutes.

Home to Cambridge (2-4) [EFL Trophy] - Not in the squad.

• Thanks 1

I don't think there's as big of a gap in quality between league one, league two and the national league as their used to be, I watched Harrogate in the national league play-off final and they played some good football, wouldn't be surprised to see them closer to promotion this season than being relegated back to non-league.

Once they reach a certain age it's better for our players to be playing at that level than it is for them to be playing in the second division of the U23 league, gets them used to the physical side of the game, and puts them in an environment where the results matter more, so they get used to the pressure side of the game.

Also have to remember that our academy isn't just about producing players for our first team, many of them won't make it with us, but we still do everything we can to help them make it elsewhere, so for some of them going to play in the lower leagues is good preperation for the level they're the likely to be playing at in their early professional career, Jack Clarke for example probably won't make it with us now, but his loan to Yeovil could help him get a move to a decent league two or league one side.

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

I’m not interested in any player we loan out unless it is to league 1 or above, the quality of the league below is a joke and not worth it for the kids loaned out.

Seems a silly perspective but everyone’s entitled to it.

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If your kids can’t cut it in league 1 then they can’t cut it here.

Okay then, might as well sack the entire current U-21 setup then after losing the two games in the EFL trophy (heavily).

Sorry but it’s a daft opinion in my view, go tell fans of Newport and Grimsby etc that their clubs are a joke, it’s those clubs and those leagues that give English football it’s strength.

Seems a contemporary thing though to assume it’s a joke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

If your kids can’t cut it in league 1 then they can’t cut it here.

99% of them never will. You do it for the 1% who will, and in the meantime, you give the other players the chance to have a route into football as a career.

• Like 4

All our loanees are starting today except for Clarke who's not in the Yeovil squad, which is a shame because their game against Wrexham is being shown for free on youtube.

Portadown beating PSNI FC 6-0 at half-time, Ben Guy has scored twice, I think it's a friendly that they're playing.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

Summary from the weekend - Goals, goals, goals!

Home to King's Lynn (5-0) - Substituted after 73 minutes. Scored a brace (header from a corner & tap in off a rebound)

Jack Clarke (Yeovil)
Home to Wrexham (0-1) - Not in the squad.

Ben Guy (Portadown)

Home to PSNI (9-0) [Training game] - Played 90 minutes. Scored a brace. (see @useless's vid in post)

Viljami Sinisalo (Ayr)
Away at Hamilton (1-2) - Played 90 minutes.

Away at Plymouth (2-0) - Substituted after 75 minutes. WhoScored.com rating of 5.99.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Surprised it looks like none of Dominic Revan, Jake Walker, Mungo Bridge, Callum Rowe, Lewis Brunt, Michael Tait are going out on loan, all in their twenties now or in Tait's and Brunt's case approaching it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â