Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

5 minutes ago, Thug said:

Apples and oranges.

both taste great.

This!

Both have individual attributes and both brilliant on their day.  Benteke at his peak was unstoppable and Ollie is showing us now under a proper coach he’s unstoppable.  I can’t split the two to choose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

The Ollie v Benteke debate is moot though because both would be starting for us in this system. Benteke central and Ollie in the ‘Bailey’ role. 

The paradox is, Ollie would not be at his best in the Bailey role.

He has to stay central.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Lets judge Watkins next season. He needs to keep this form up throughout a full season.

I totally agree - this is the same drum I am beating. We can’t escape the fact Ollie has been very poor for us, and we must judge over a longer period of time imo. The signs for me are there, that he is developing and I am expecting this to continue under Emery and if so, I would say he will surpass Benteke, but for me right now it’s still a case of proceed with caution 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The paradox is, Ollie would not be at his best in the Bailey role.

He has to stay central.

Absolutely. Ollie has hit a new level. Totally at ease with himself. He always seemed quite a reserved character but he seems to have changed into an ultra confident happy chap. He will go into every single game now thinking he can score and bully the defenders. And he will. It would be like playing JPA at his peak on the wing. 

This level is the new Ollie level  he, and we will expect from now on. I think this is more than a purple patch. Its an understanding of what his role is and a manager who sets a team up to let the striker score for fun

Edited by MWARLEY2

9 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I totally agree - this is the same drum I am beating. We can’t escape the fact Ollie has been very poor for us, and we must judge over a longer period of time imo. The signs for me are there, that he is developing and I am expecting this to continue under Emery and if so, I would say he will surpass Benteke, but for me right now it’s still a case of proceed with caution 

He's been more good for us than he has bad.

A 1 in 3 record over his entire time with us as a bottom half PL team.

His bad spell was largely under the complete incompetence of Gerrard, being shoehorned alongside Ings. Also, the end of the Dean Smith era that didn't recover from losing Grealish. 

There's far more evidence that he'll be fantastic than a flop from where he is now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Ollie has been very poor for us?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Let’s judge Watkins next season. He needs to keep this form up throughout a full season.

Would be astonishing to see Ollie perform to this level for a season we would be top of the pile !  , probably still wouldn’t get a look in at Engrrrland with cocknose involved ! , in your scouting role do you get to have a look at training and watch Ollie etc ?

24 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I must admit that was my first thought as well when I saw he just had another kid. ”Oh no, there goes his great form”.

Same. Followed by thoughts of how much training and briefings he will have missed this week and that I hope we’re not giving him any paternity leave. I’m a bad person.

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently set to sign a new deal, and valued at 170 mill by the club!

Genius. I remember west ham enquired about him in the summer and were quoted 80 mill even then.  Well chelsea will offer 190 anyways. At that price.... i still wouldnt sell him 

• Like 1

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Where did you read that? 

The " set to sign a new deal " has been reported on social media by several journalists, the " Valued at 170 mill " I saw via a post about interest in him, i'll try to find the links and post here.

• Like 1

Ollie went right off form last time he had a kid.  But from experience the second kid is far easier. Done all the panicking and worrying with the first. And by the time number 3 comes along you just leave them to it 

Â