Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Thought he was brilliant today. Was causing endless hassle for their centre backs and then got a goal to cap it off.

I thought he did some things brilliantly today (as usual) BUT his decision making in and around the box is not great.  Some people will say we don't create enough chances for him but his movement and reading of the game contributes significantly to this.

I have been knocked multiple times for suggesting this in the past - but I do think Ollie playing alongside a "scoring" CF would improve us a lot.  We don't lose any of what Ollie does well, we have another option up top to do more of the creative stuff.  And I think Ollie becomes more of a goal threat in return.  If anyone can make that work then I think Emery is the man.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Can't link play to save his life. If we want to play football that's easy on the eye, we need a better starter.

I think he is much better facing the goal than with his back to it.  I think Emery will be able to find a way to play Ollie and ANO striker - which could be a superb partnership.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Can't link play to save his life. If we want to play football that's easy on the eye, we need a better starter.

He'll start every game under Emery if fit, absolutely no question. Honestly, I don't think you've any idea what you're talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

He'll start every game under Emery if fit, absolutely no question. Honestly, I don't think you've any idea what you're talking about. 

I think you have no idea what you're talking about either. Mid table he's OK, if we're serious about improving, Emery will want better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

"Link play" in what way?  He held the ball up well today, hassled their back line all game and got himself a goal.  It was a really good performance and exactly what we needed.  Did you want him dropping deep like Kane or something?

• Thanks 1

He can't link play. That's a fact. A scuffed header (fair play to him) won't change my opinion on that.

Eh? Did you watch the game?! Nah, I'm not doing this no way, Watkins was good today. He linked well with those around him especially Ramsey.

Choose positivity!

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

"Link play" in what way?  He held the ball up well today, hassled their back line all game and got himself a goal.  It was a really good performance and exactly what we needed.  Did you want him dropping deep like Kane or something?

Indeed, well said.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If Buendia is looking to link with Watkins in an attacking area to keep controlled possession in intricate areas, he can't do it very well.

If Buendia is looking to link with Watkins in an attacking area to keep controlled possession in intricate areas, he can't do it very well.

OK, I'll probably give you that Watkins isn't the greatest in tight areas.  But that isn't really where we want him anyway.

He does so much good, but on top of his finishing he just lacks that bit of football intelligence to be a top level striker. Few times today we were on the attack and his movement was poor or he made the complete wrong run.

I like him a lot, but we definitely need some competition for him now Ings is gone 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I agree but I’m going to duck out of this forum tonight because I’m delighted with three points and have other things to do.   Chuffed that he scored but he’s not the long term player for the striker role, but as he scored the Ollie fans will be crowing.  Good luck with the debate tonight 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â