Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

He is definately struggling with the new style. I said he is used to it being put on a plate from Grealish, which is why he looked good, but I got blazed for it. It's looking more and more obvious now.

There are teams struggling for strikers, if he was any good, we would at least had an offer. Arsenal wanted him, but not after last season.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He is definately struggling with the new style. I said he is used to it being put on a plate from Grealish, which is why he looked good, but I got blazed for it. It's looking more and more obvious now.

There are teams struggling for strikers, if he was any good, we would at least had an offer. Arsenal wanted him, but not after last season.

Was similar at Brentford, they were a brilliant attacking side in the championship that season before he signed for us and fed him with the chances around the 6 yard box but I was never impressed by him.

He'll always be there for those type of chances  (he was there for the tap in when Bailey rounded the keeper today) but watching him trying to build play or carry the ball is painful. I've got hammered for saying how much he holds us back as an attacking threat. How many times do you see Buendia play off him, or even play him through? Coutinho with the forwards he's played with must think wtf at times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Can't control a ball, can't pass a ball, can't remotely one touch play, can't link up, can't strike a ball cleanly but he works hard and runs the channel.

Performances that have certainly given Gerrard 'a lot to think about'

Will start 30 league games regardless.

Works hard.

That makes me laugh, some siad that about Vassell.

Its not enough.......no where even close to enough.....if he can't do what you have suggested, and by the evidence lately, its true.......unless we change it, we can forget about any lofty ambitions.

The main reason Leicester had their famous season,  was Vardy.....thats the level we need.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

Was similar at Brentford, they were a brilliant attacking side in the championship that season before he signed for us and fed him with the chances around the 6 yard box but I was never impressed by him.

He'll always be there for those type of chances  (he was there for the tap in when Bailey rounded the keeper today) but watching him trying to build play or carry the ball is painful. I've got hammered for saying how much he holds us back as an attacking threat. How many times do you see Buendia play off him, or even play him through? Coutinho with the forwards he's played with must think wtf at times. 

Your right, an he misses far to many chances for me. Gerrard should be seeing this and at least eyeing up a new striker.

I'm not one of these who jump on the bandwagon when he scores a random goal now and again. We need to finish chances this season if we want to move on.

Obviously want Ollie to succeed but needs to improve on last season and be converting many more chances. Clean slate and all that so let's see what happens but I dont want to see Gerrard persist though if its not working. I would simply get Archer involved. I know its a big step up but think he's ready. Failing that we may need to get another quality striker in. Fingers crossed for Ollie and Ings though.

He always seems to hit similar shots. Way too high usually, which either makes it a simple save for the keeper or he over does it and it goes way wide / high or both. Both chances he had in the last two games surely would have been finished in the bottom corner by someone prolific? I don't want to hammer him coz I like Ollie but he simply has to show more.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

That makes me laugh, some siad that about Vassell.

Its not enough.......no where even close to enough.....if he can't do what you have suggested, and by the evidence lately, its true.......unless we change it, we can forget about any lofty ambitions.

The main reason Leicester had their famous season,  was Vardy.....thats the level we need.

Absolutely agree.  We don't need a hard working pressing forward.  We need someone who basically operates between the centre circle and the two edges of the penalty box - looking for chances to break past the last defenders, latch on to a slide pass from the midfield and stick the ball in the back of the net.  If Ollie can't do that then his position in the team / in the squad is under huge threat.  A 23 year old Vardy would be the perfect signing for us (and many other teams!!!!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

We don't need a hard working pressing forward.  We need someone who basically operates between the centre circle and the two edges of the penalty box - looking for chances to break past the last defenders, latch on to a slide pass from the midfield and stick the ball in the back of the net.

This is 2010 and further back thinking.

No one gets away with not pressing. There are no good teams who don't press.

You can have the freaks like Ronaldo who still score, but he makes Utd a worse side overall.

Ollie's work usually helps us as a side a lot. Not today, goodness me he was bad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This is 2010 and further back thinking.

No one gets away with not pressing. There are no good teams who don't press.

You can have the freaks like Ronaldo who still score, but he makes Utd a worse side overall.

Ollie's work usually helps us as a side a lot. Not today, goodness me he was bad.

Yeah cause Man City have signed Haaland for his pressing.....

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He will press for Man City yes.

Give me a goal scorer who does a bit of pressing rather than a presser who does a bit of goal scoring.  Any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, allani said:

Give me a goal scorer who does a bit of pressing rather than a presser who does a bit of goal scoring.  Any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

Well yes, I'd love to.

Just pointing out this is wrong.

2 hours ago, allani said:

We don't need a hard working pressing forward. 

We do. The goal scorer we'd like to sign will be hard working as well, no doubt.

A large number of Premier League players are not bad, they are just system players and need to play in a certain way/team. That's what separates those who can slot into any position, system, team and continue to show their qualities.

Ollie isn't a top player, nor is he a bad one but there are a few things that are highlighting his flaws.

We play far too narrow, Ollie is excellent at running the channels, he has strength, pace and can hold up the ball pretty well in those areas. When we had Grealish he had an outlet. We now have the likes of Coutinho, Ings etc but they are often 20+ yards away and our only real width comes from the full backs who again are too far behind.

Apart from when Buendia players we have very few players willing to play the ball through the central areas of the pitch, our general approach is get it to the wide players and cross from deep, Ollie has never shown himself to be the most adept in the air. He's often criticised for his finishing ability 1 on 1, but his conversion rate isn't the worst and he's dangerous on the shoulder of a defence.

He's also quite good at attacking low crosses into the box, but again we don't seem to be able to get into the positions to do this enough, when we do its usually via fullbacks at which point the penalty area is often crowded by defenders.

Stick him in a team like West Ham and I think he'd be performing a lot better, but for the way we play it always feels like we need someone different. 

• Like 2

Â