Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Of course Grealish didn't make Watkins look good, that would only be possible if Watkins was simply a goal poacher but he's not, there's much more to his game than that, which is why he became so highly rated last season and got called up by England, it wasn't purely because of his goals, because he wasn't that prolific

Agreed. He's a good presser, among other things.

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really don’t know what the answer is. I’d be tempted to give Archer a go given the form of Ings and Watkins.

Couldn't hurt to give Archer a go, but maybe Ings deserves a go without Watkins given that we've tried the opposite. Ings does seem to have lost his shooting boots, though...

59 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He is a strange character. I find it hard to really get behind him. I am sure he is a great guy but there is zero personality to him when you look from afar. And he has caught elghazi itis . Which means he has to shoot at any opportunity and ignore team mates.  

He didn't have "zero personality" last year but I agree that he seems a bit more aloof, that he seems to be playing with a bit less joy this year. I agree 100% with your comment about ignoring teammates. He has been trying to force shots from bad positions when he should pass.

With his demeanor recently you'd think he'd be a stropper off the ball. But he still isn't really. Gets through plenty of running.

His confidence looks shot though and it was always fragile even when playing well.

Does well with long balls up to him, we should use that more I think.

No good behind a striker as his technique just isn't up to it.

It's starting up front or sat on the bench.

31 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Trying too hard, looks like he is feeling threatened by Ings. Must be coached to look for the pass and avoid blind alleys, been saying it for months.

The problem Ollie has got if he wants to go higher, his position is always going to be threatened by another player at any club and also playing for England so he needs to adapt.  He also isn’t going to play at a higher level if he continues playing as he is.

• Like 2

The Ings/Watkins situation is a real dilemma. On the one hand I think Watkins is better suited as a lone striker so he’d be the natural choice to prefer.

But on the other I think Watkins is far more to blame for the fact they’re partnership isn’t working. Ings is a much more intelligent, natural link up player who is far less selfish. As others have said, at times it almost looks like Watkins feels threatened by Ings and doesn’t want to pass to him in good positions. If that’s at all the case then I’d want to see Watkins dropped until he can be coached into being more of a team player 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Or vice versa

No not for me. 

Ings’ xG is one of the lowest in the league for forwards. He just isn’t effective in our system. Watkins is. 

We shouldn’t be sacrificing our best CF to accommodate Ings

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No not for me. 

Ings’ xG is one of the lowest in the league for forwards. He just isn’t effective in our system. Watkins is. 

Same.

Ings is a pretty great impact sub to have but pretty sure that's not why we bought him or that he'd be content with being one.

That said, Watkins starts for me when fit.

There was an opportunity yesterday where Ings was in loads of space but Watkins couldn't square the ball to him on his left foot. We need players in that position who are better on the ball and Watkins needs to be the player tapping it in, not crossing it.

Edited by PieFacE

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No not for me. 

For me, Ollie last season was great, this season he’s lost it.  People say it’s because of Ings but even when Ings isn’t playing Ollie has been poor…decision making poor, positioning poor and not had the same attitude.

As for effective, both have been poor in our system this season and that’s partly to do with them but also we aren’t creating anything for them.

I think if we start creating chances, Ings is the better finisher and more likely to be in the position to score whereas Ollie will be more mobile.

I think it depends on the game.  In a game where where we are likely to create many chances I’d put in Ings but harder games maybe Ollie for mobility.

Although to be honest with lack of number 10’s through injuries and poor form we may see more of them both playing.

Said it before, will say it again. Ings should be sold and we either have faith in Archer as back up or we go out and buy a young, up and coming quality striker who is happy to be on the bench and learn his trade. Ings was a panic buy and it's impacting on Watkins massively. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Said it before, will say it again. Ings should be sold and we either have faith in Archer as back up or we go out and buy a young, up and coming quality striker who is happy to be on the bench and learn his trade. Ings was a panic buy and it's impacting on Watkins massively. 

Competition is impacting Watkins? Backwards step what you are suggesting for the club.  If we sell Ings we should buy another quality striker.  Ollie has been so out of form, having a young player on the bench as replacement is too risky

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Competition is impacting Watkins? Backwards step what you are suggesting for the club.  If we sell Ings we should buy another quality striker.  Ollie has been so out of form, having a young player on the bench as replacement is too risky

Erm, no. Competition is fine. Shoehorning Watkins on to the left to allow him and Ings to both play is impacting Watkins. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

For me, Ollie last season was great, this season he’s lost it.  People say it’s because of Ings but even when Ings isn’t playing Ollie has been poor…decision making poor, positioning poor and not had the same attitude.

As for effective, both have been poor in our system this season and that’s partly to do with them but also we aren’t creating anything for them.

I think if we start creating chances, Ings is the better finisher and more likely to be in the position to score whereas Ollie will be more mobile.

I think it depends on the game.  In a game where where we are likely to create many chances I’d put in Ings but harder games maybe Ollie for mobility.

Although to be honest with lack of number 10’s through injuries and poor form we may see more of them both playing.

Watkins has been fine in our system when he’s been played up front. He’s not effective when moved out wide

15 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Erm, no. Competition is fine. Shoehorning Watkins on to the left to allow him and Ings to both play is impacting Watkins. 

When Watkins playing on his own he’s just as bad this season so blaming Ings or position is only one of a bigger issue with Watkins at the moment.  He’s so off form, it’s far more than just Ings impact when it happens and Ings isn’t even playing.

• Like 1

Â