Johan Lange

hippo

On a more serious note, if we have issues here it's not fair to put all the blame solely on Lange, even if he's the one that signs off on the prospective recruits. You have a whole department of technical scouts, analysts, IRL scouts and so forth that brings these guys to Lange's attention.  

• Like 1

On 21/10/2022 at 06:30, Delphinho123 said:

It’s been tragic since Grealish left, it really has. Kamara aside, our signings have been f***** daft. 

Wow, he must be really sore.

Edit: True fan thou and a real sport for putting in the extra effort trying to make our new signings feel welcomed.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, daft said:

On a more serious note, if we have issues here it's not fair to put all the blame solely on Lange, even if he's the one that signs off on the prospective recruits. You have a whole department of technical scouts, analysts, IRL scouts and so forth that brings these guys to Lange's attention.  

Tbh, after seeing the transfer shitshow that happened this summer with Man United,  I think we might be severely overrating how relevant the scouting department actually are at most clubs. Imagine that, one of the biggest clubs in the world seemingly had no scouts at all. All the players they were being linked to were players who pretty much every football fan already knew of or had played under their new manager at some point in the past.

To be clear, I don't think the scouts are bad at their job, I do question though how much the final decision makers actually take their opinions and analysis into account. I've seen too many ridiculous signings happen that I refuse to believe any competent scout would sign off on,

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

The one question in all this demise of ours and losing managers after 12 moths, is:

who is asking Johan Lange for his take on it?

Where is this guy, when we are debating the football side of our club, why does Christian Purslow appear, and not the Sporting Director.

Is he another " Peter Brady".....

If he goes missing, in difficult times, is it any wonder the players do......This is a culture problem.

People, who work for Aston Villa need to stand up and be counted and that includes Directors and Players.

I have never, heard him speak about anything, Aston Villa.......in this world of shark infested media, after every snipet, is this right?

Is he locked away, in a shed somewhere.

I think we need some answers from this guy, why the majority of us, think the last manager, failed so badly. He was his Boss, wasn't he? He should be leading from the front, not hiding....now we know where the players get it from.

I do hope UE can trump this guy, and reduce him to an absent role he seems to crave, his own version of Bletchley Park, where he can wallow in analytics.

I might be doing him a disservice, but how would anyone know?

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

The one question in all this demise of ours and losing managers after 12 moths, is:

who is asking Johan Lange for his take on it?

Where is this guy, when we are debating the football side of our club, why does Christian Purslow appear, and not the Sporting Director.

Is he another " Peter Brady".....

If he goes missing, in difficult times, is it any wonder the players do......This is a culture problem.

People, who work for Aston Villa need to stand up and be counted and that includes Directors and Players.

I have never, heard him speak about anything, Aston Villa.......in this world of shark infested media, after every snipet, is this right?

Is he locked away, in a shed somewhere.

I think we need some answers from this guy, why the majority of us, think the last manager, failed so badly. He was his Boss, wasn't he? He should be leading from the front, not hiding....now we know where the players get it from.

I do hope UE can trump this guy, and reduce him to an absent role he seems to crave, his own version of Bletchley Park, where he can wallow in analytics.

I might be doing him a disservice, but how would anyone know?

Him coming from the Danish league and a failed spell at Wolves he will know this is the best job he is ever gonna get.

He has no business but being anything other than a yes man to Purslow.

And that's how I think Purslow likes his right hand men. Not surprising that he fell out with both Benitez and Pitarch. Strong characters who will challenge him on his bull**** and his ego.

Edited by Pinebro

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Him coming from the Danish league and a failed spell at Wolves he will know this is the best job he is ever gonna get.

He has no business but being anything other than a yes man to Purslow.

And that's how I think Purslow likes his right hand men. Not surprising that he fell out with both Benitez and Pitarch. Strong characters who will challenge him on his bull**** and his ego.

Oh Dear, it is grim.

• Haha 2

This appointment still baffles me, Newcastle manage to get Dan Ashworth we end up with some Danish bloke with absolutely no credentials to say he is good enough to be sporting director as a club like ours! Completely bonkers.

• Like 2

Just now, zab6359 said:

This appointment still baffles me, Newcastle manage to get Dan Ashworth we end up with some Danish bloke with absolutely no credentials to say he is good enough to be sporting director as a club like ours! Completely bonkers.

He and the current national coach for Norway had a failed spell at Wolves too.

Not excactly good credentials.

1 minute ago, DeadlyDirk said:

He was the Assistant Manager wasn't he?

True.

Still if we only look at his credentials as a sporting director he hasn't worked at any elite clubs to warrant him a high profile job like this.

I think Purslow likes him because he can control him and is a yes man.

On 23/10/2022 at 08:31, daft said:

Sorry.....as a scout myself for a Premiership club.....the blame should solely be on Lange....he is the one who signs off on new players correct...but the scouts are directed by him.....its not as simple as watching games and coming back saying I've found the next best thing.....scouts are directed as to what the powers above want....if Lange wants a 6ft midfielder who can play with is left foot...then the scouts will go out and find one.

The recruitment over the past three years has been shocking....mediocre players for way too much money...some of which will be here for a while as no other team will taken them...maybe one or two.

Gerrard made mistakes...granted.....he got the sack but so should Lange giving him a duff squad to work with only a handful of good enough players.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Sorry.....as a scout myself for a Premiership club.....the blame should solely be on Lange....he is the one who signs off on new players correct...but the scouts are directed by him.....its not as simple as watching games and coming back saying I've found the next best thing.....scouts are directed as to what the powers above want....if Lange wants a 6ft midfielder who can play with is left foot...then the scouts will go out and find one.

The recruitment over the past three years has been shocking....mediocre players for way too much money...some of which will be here for a while as no other team will taken them...maybe one or two.

Gerrard made mistakes...granted.....he got the sack but so should Lange giving him a duff squad to work with only a handful of good enough players.

Good points, and let's hope that direction improves under Emery.

Also, stop finding good players for rivals, alternatively,  let's hope your boss gets the sack.😉

Edited by daft
My phone's a word removed.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I have a real sense of foreboding with this guy.

For a man with a senior position at the club and a part responsibility for presiding over, woeful results, for some time......I am baffled as to why, no noises, seem to come from him.

I am also, baffled as to why the media, have not questioned, his standing within the club.

2 managers have gone, and to my knowledge, not a murmur, from him........weird or what?

I hope, from what I can see, Unai has a remit to by pass him, and render him obsolete...I don't know what difference it will make.

I do get, the notion, that Unai has to work with him, and rely on him to get players in.....but I hope the choices are Unai's and his alone, with the aid of the analytics boys.

Its always difficult, to make hard and fast judgements on folks work, when you are not privvy to it.....so, I can only give my feelings/ suspicions on the matter.

PS I am generally sceptical of folk who say very little, enter Johan Lange.

Edited by TRO

Â