What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

• 4 weeks later...

Need a little assistance. We are away in our campervan this weekend for 2 nights, and I tend to do the cooking, I have one night covered but I was hoping to get a little guidance on something to cook on saturday. We have a hob, grill and an oven of sorts, unsure of the heat it can knock out, but its there. I am a shit cook, I state that now, but I try. Any suggestions? Will give most things a stab but we are already having a curry on friday.

Need a little assistance. We are away in our campervan this weekend for 2 nights, and I tend to do the cooking, I have one night covered but I was hoping to get a little guidance on something to cook on saturday. We have a hob, grill and an oven of sorts, unsure of the heat it can knock out, but its there. I am a shit cook, I state that now, but I try. Any suggestions? Will give most things a stab but we are already having a curry on friday.

Jerk chicken, saute potatoes and salad.  Part prep it before you leave home, make it simple.

Do the Ottolenghi marinade from here.  You don't need to bother with the coconut salsa, and you can leave out roasting the spices.  I don't bother with the spring onions, just use one big red onion.  Include the salt and pepper in the marinade, don't bother doing it separately like he says.  Just put those ingredients or something close in a blender (a hand-held one with a close-fitting jar is good for this, or else a food processor/blender), whizz it up, and rub into the chicken.  A glug of whisky would work as part of the marinade as well.  Add a bit of water if it doesn't look like there's enough to coat the chicken properly (not too much, you want the marinade fairly thick, not watery).  Keep in the fridge, and when you're ready to cook, just bake it in the oven  for about 40 minutes on a medium oven (test the chicken to make sure it's cooked by cutting one piece before you eat, if you think the oven might be unreliable).  Never mind grilling the chicken first as he says, to keep it simple - but cook for longer than his recipe.  And take the chicken out of the fridge half an hour before you cook it and also make sure the oven is hot before you put the chicken in.

If it looks like the chicken is cooked before you're ready with the rest, just turn the oven off and leave it in there.  And if the chicken isn't cooked enough when you're nearly done with the potatoes, just take them off the heat and finish them off when the chicken is done.

Get some waxy potatoes, boil them in salted water for 20 minutes at home, drain them and take them with you, cooked.  When the chicken is nearly cooked, cut the potatoes into quarters or smaller and saute them for 10 minutes in olive oil, butter, sea salt and black pepper in a non-stick pan.  Add the juice of half a lemon part way through.  Keep turning the potatoes, and make sure the heat is high enough that they are partly browned and the butter and lemon form a bit of a crust.

Serve with a salad and a simple dressing (put a spoon of Dijon mustard into a clean jam jar, add a couple of tablespoons of good olive oil and a teaspoon of either vinegar or lemon, a little salt and pepper - again do this at home, and when you're ready to eat, shake the jar to amalgamate the dressing and serve).

You could do a simpler salsa than his coconut one with it.  Chop a couple of good tomatoes, a shallot, a fresh green birds eye chili and some fresh coriander, add sea salt, black pepper, juice of one lime.  But no need really.

Pretty tasty, but you're basically baking one pre-prepared dish and frying some pre-cooked potatoes, so the cooking part is easy.

Or even simpler, cook some pasta, drain and add a jar of pesto, serve with freshly grated Parmesan (don't buy the pre-grated stuff), freshly ground black pepper and some torn basil leaves, with a salad.

• Like 1

So I got a cooking blowtorch for my 40th Birthday from my Mum and Dad as they know I am really into cooking which was nice :) Any advice on how to use it? I just cooked sirloin steaks and caramalised the fat when it was resting, yummy!

So I got a cooking blowtorch for my 40th Birthday from my Mum and Dad as they know I am really into cooking which was nice :) Any advice on how to use it? I just cooked sirloin steaks and caramalised the fat when it was resting, yummy!

Topping of a brulee or browning a baked alaska 

Write your name on the steak with it, for a true signature dish.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â