What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Tips for making Naan please chaps.

I can dig out a dough recipe later, but if like me you don't have a professional tandoor oven in your kitchen, there's a workaround to at least getting close to the partly blackened, blistered surface you're looking for.  Dry fry it on a heavy griddle for a couple of minutes each side to do the outside, before finishing in a hot oven (220c) for 4 or 5 mins to make sure it's cooked through.

If applying toppings, do so after the first stage.  For garlic and coriander naan, I find either blitzing garlic and coriander with oil and spreading it on, or else slicing garlic, chopping coriander, soaking both in oil and then topping, works.  But the oil is needed, else the toppings will be burnt.

Nice one! Natural yogurt in the dough recipe?

The recipe I use has milk, not yogurt, but I imagine yogurt would work very well.  In fact this dough is quite sticky and hard to handle, so yogurt might make it a little firmer.  I'll try it.

3 tbs sugar

2 eggs

400ml milk

750g plain flour

1.5 tsp baking powder

1 tbs salt 3 tbs veg oil

I make this in a Thermomix in two stages, first just mixing the sugar, eggs and milk, next adding the flour and baking powder and mixing for 2.5 mins, adding oil half way through.  But instructions for doing it without a machine are:

Mix sugar, eggs, milk until sugar dissolves.

Sift flour into bowl, add baking powder, salt, mix.

Add milk mixture, stir to combine.

Transfer to floured work surface, knead to make dough, not too much kneading.

Cover with oiled clingfilm or damp cloth, leave 15-30 mins.

Knead oil into dough.

Divide into 8-16 pieces, or your favourite number, roll out.

Then recipe says onto baking sheets, oven 220 for 4-5 mins, but I say see my earlier post.

This makes quite a lot, so I often do half this for a meal for 4.

On the other hand, boy no 3 can eat a vast amount of this, so sometimes I make the full amount.

• Like 1

It paid for itself, as I do occasional demos when asked.  :)

But there's a new one released today, first in ten years, so I have to decide whether to sell some to buy one, or not.

Anecdote: a prizewinning chef in Edinburgh did something to his (Thermomix) blade, god knows what as they are indestructible, ordered a replacement but decided he couldn't manage one service without it, and I was pleaded with to lend him mine for a day.  Which I was happy to do.  Asked him if he used the machine much, and he reeled off a list of dishes he relies on it for.

/marketingspiel.

• 3 months later...

Thinking of making a fish pie (potato topped, bit of cod/salmon/haddock - whatever is on offer) in the next week. Would be hoping to do the same as cottage/shepherd's pies, i.e. make more than one meal and store.

What's the form on refrigerating/freezing and reheating the fish pie?

To refrigerate the fish pie, simply put it into a refrigerator.

To freeze the fish pie, carefully place the fish pie into a freezer.

To reheat the fish pie, try to put the fish pie in a place that is warmer than room temperature, or at least a warmer temperature of a fridge or freezer.  This will heat the fish pie up from its current temperature.

don't put any shellfish in to the fish pie if you are going/planning on reheating it, also dont make the fish pie to deep as you will need to be able to bring the temperature down to 5c within 120 mins ( after making sure your food gets to a cooking temperature greater than 74 c)....with fish you should use the freshest possible ....on offer could mean it has a few days on it already and the possibility of bacteria growth has begun and will rapidly increase with the heat of cooking 

do not use already frozen fish .....other than that ....enjoy D

don't put any shellfish in to the fish pie if you are going/planning on reheating it, also dont make the fish pie to deep as you will need to be able to bring the temperature down to 5c within 120 mins ( after making sure your food gets to a cooking temperature greater than 74 c)....with fish you should use the freshest possible ....on offer could mean it has a few days on it already and the possibility of bacteria growth has begun and will rapidly increase with the heat of cooking

do not use already frozen fish .....other than that ....enjoy D

Taking all that in (and it probably means I won't make the pie, tbh :) - but I may ), is a defrost thoroughly before reheating thing?

Edited by snowychap

Don't be put off. You can cool the leftovers quickly by eg standing the dish in a bowl of iced water, then portion it and freeze it. Never reheating shellfish is sound advice. If you like shellfish with fish pie, make it without and cook a fresh portion separately to accompany the first dish and the leftovers.

Yes, defrost properly before reheating, but at the same time don't leave it sitting around at room temperature for any longer than you need. Check by opening it up and checking in the centre to make sure nothing is still frozen. But if you've cooked the dish in the first place, cooled the leftovers promptly, then frozen it, you will be safe. When reheating, do check it's properly hot all the way through, again by testing at the centre.

Basically you're trying to keep the food as far as possible outside the temperature range where bacteria thrive, so keeping it cool, or frozen, or at cooking temperature and minimising the time spent in transition between those temperature ranges.

I'm reminded of a story from a few years ago, where an Olympic athlete had food poisoning after eating a chicken sandwich he'd had in his car, in summer, for a couple of days.

I suspect most cases of food poisoning are either a complete lack of common sense like that, or cross-contamination by letting raw and cooked meats mix, or perhaps poor control procedures in commercial settings. Though of course a large percentage of factory-farmed stuff is inherently dangerous unless thoroughly cooked.

Â