What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

I'm cooking for my girlfriend for her birthday, and i was looking for some ideas. I'm not rubbish in the kitchen but I'm no Gordon Ramsey. I don't particulary like tomatoes, but any ideas would be great.

Could you narrow it down a bit? Is there something she likes/doesn't like? Is she veggie or carnivore? Does she like spicy or plain? Any allergies? Is she weight-watching? Does she like and appreciate good food? Is her taste savoury, or sweet?

And you too, as it's a diner a deux.

I think most women will give credit for something where you've tried to find out about their preferences, made an effort, and not screwed up too badly. Oh, and if you finish with chocolate, that's at least double points. That is, something that you've done to chocolate, even as simple as warming it gently and pouring it over fruit (avoid citrus, go for something like strawberry, banana, apple or pear). But make sure it's at least 70% cocoa solids, if she has any more that the slightest passing interest in food.

If you can go beyond those basics and do something good, it will either pass completely over her head, or else you may find yourself with a long-term dining companion.

Something meat based, nothing massively spicy, but something with a nice kick to it would be nice. No allergies, and she enjoys her food and not particulary weight watching.

I hope that helps. Thanks btw.

Thanks guys for the replies,didnt expect such a quick response.

3 kids and 8 adults at the moment. We have a dual oven and a steamer so lucking to steam most of the veg if possible to leave the oven free for the meat, roasties and possibly some roats veg as an alternative.

With Pot Noodles I tend to go above the line. I know, I'm crazy.

And, let me guess you forfeit the sachet of soy or sweet and sour sauce for a liberal helping of red sauce?

Erm no, I said I was crazy not psychotic.

:crylaugh:

I'm cooking for my girlfriend for her birthday, and i was looking for some ideas. I'm not rubbish in the kitchen but I'm no Gordon Ramsey. I don't particulary like tomatoes, but any ideas would be great.

Could you narrow it down a bit? Is there something she likes/doesn't like? Is she veggie or carnivore? Does she like spicy or plain? Any allergies? Is she weight-watching? Does she like and appreciate good food? Is her taste savoury, or sweet?

And you too, as it's a diner a deux.

I think most women will give credit for something where you've tried to find out about their preferences, made an effort, and not screwed up too badly. Oh, and if you finish with chocolate, that's at least double points. That is, something that you've done to chocolate, even as simple as warming it gently and pouring it over fruit (avoid citrus, go for something like strawberry, banana, apple or pear). But make sure it's at least 70% cocoa solids, if she has any more that the slightest passing interest in food.

If you can go beyond those basics and do something good, it will either pass completely over her head, or else you may find yourself with a long-term dining companion.

Something meat based, nothing massively spicy, but something with a nice kick to it would be nice. No allergies, and she enjoys her food and not particulary weight watching.

I hope that helps. Thanks btw.

She sounds like a KFC kinda girl to me.....

The potatoes look nice Rob.

About the curry you made... did you put fresh grinded coconut in or did you just use some coconut milk? How hot is it too... it looks like a madras.

I use the blocks of creamed coconut, they're about 50p. A third of a block is more than enough.

and heatwise it's madras/vindaloo, I use chilli powder and crushed red chilli - me and the boy like a bit of heat ;-)

May I trouble all you lovely VT'ers for some help in the cooking dept?

I am making a meal on Saturday and my cooking skills are very basic. I've been looking for recipies on the Sainsbury's website, mainly so I can get a list of the exact ingredients and know that it's everything they stock etc - but the recipies I find very complicated.

I have a very basic level of cooking ability and would love a little recipe that I know I can follow and prepare. Any ideas folks?

Â