What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

May I trouble all you lovely VT'ers for some help in the cooking dept?

I am making a meal on Saturday and my cooking skills are very basic. I've been looking for recipies on the Sainsbury's website, mainly so I can get a list of the exact ingredients and know that it's everything they stock etc - but the recipies I find very complicated.

I have a very basic level of cooking ability and would love a little recipe that I know I can follow and prepare. Any ideas folks?

Here's a simple one:

Cut 2 chicken breasts into cubes, and fry in a pan with oil and a few chopped/pureed garlic cloves til cooked

Add one 500g carton of passatta, some black pepper and some dried oregano or basil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Salt to taste

Add half a 500g bag of pasta that you've pre- cooked and drained (boil it in water with a bit of oil added), stir in and simmer for 5 minutes.

Serve with garlic bread.

You can't get any easier than that :-)

Thanks Rob.

What's passatta and oregano?

Passatta is a jar of sieved tomatoes (no seeds), you'll find it with all the other tinned tomato type products except it comes in a glass jar or a tetrapak

Oregano is a herb, doubt you'll get fresh oregano though so it'll be in the dried herb section

*Shrugs* I said I was basic at cooking. lol

Tomatoes, Chicken, Pasta & Garlic Bread sounds like a winner, I think I might be able to do that one.

What kind of pasta would work best Rob?

And Bicks, I will look up some Jamie books - thanks.

fajitas are easy and fun

Yes, they are - and they are precisely what we eat every other day of the week because we have perfected the very essence of how easy they are... lol

We live on Fajitas, Enchilladas, Stir fry, Chicken Grills - all the easy stuff.

What kind of pasta would work best Rob?

Penne, conchiglie, or fusilli should be fine

Woah, Woah...

Shells, Twists, Bows, Laces or Spiral Curly Whirlies?

Any of them!

Pasta shmasta. It's cottage pie & stew weather these days. AND they keep in the fridge for days. So you eat for peanuts and have more to drink at the weekend - "Hello Stella my old friend" :D

I tend to agree there Bri, one of the most boring things ever invented is pasta, most of the time I find it rather dull. Spaghetti and meatballs is good or the Niçoise favourite Daube de Boeuf ( a slow cooked beef stew made with red wine and served with some form of ribbon pasta, usually spaghetti but can be something wider) but mostly I just find pasta unbelievably dull. Mostly its "that tasteless wheat filler stuff with a tomato, herb and garlic sauce and a small amount of meat, usually chicken" - dullsville

I tend to agree there Bri, one of the most boring things ever invented is pasta, most of the time I find it rather dull. Spaghetti and meatballs is good or the Niçoise favourite Daube de Boeuf ( a slow cooked beef stew made with red wine and served with some form of ribbon pasta, usually spaghetti but can be something wider) but mostly I just find pasta unbelievably dull. Mostly its "that tasteless wheat filler stuff with a tomato, herb and garlic sauce and a small amount of meat, usually chicken" - dullsville

I agree with this,

unless its meatballs with a rich beefy tomato sauce, bolognaise or lasagne, pasts is incredilby menial.

there just isn't enough dead animal involved in many pasta dishes for me.

Â