What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

TBH I didn't know what passata was. Turns out it's a poncy name for tomato concentrate. Not being a particular fan of Italian food, I've lived quite well not knowing this useless fact :)

Oregano on the other hand. Oh dear Laura ;)

• 4 weeks later...

lmao, just made the most easiest cake you'll ever make!

It's pineapple sponge cake and litterally all you need to do is put in a tin of pineapple (or you could just smash up pinapple rings or chunks) put in a mixing bowl, add two cups of self-raising flour and 1 cup of caster sugar mix it all together well... I put it in my Aga for about 20 minutes and out comes a really nice and moiste cake.

It's pineapple sponge cake and litterally all you need to do is put in a tin of pineapple (or you could just smash up pinapple rings or chunks) put in a mixing bowl, add two cups of self-raising flour and 1 cup of caster sugar mix it all together well... I put it in my Aga for about 20 minutes and out comes a really nice and moiste cake.

No eggs? All the sponge cakes I've always used eggs and flour with a ton of air whisked into them.

But I guess because the cake calls for chunks of pineapple, it can't be too light or else it can't support the fruit.

But it does sound interesting and remarkably simple.

I'll try it when I have the time, will tell ya how it turns out. :D

No eggs? All the sponge cakes I've always used eggs and flour with a ton of air whisked into them.

But I guess because the cake calls for chunks of pineapple, it can't be too light or else it can't support the fruit.

But it does sound interesting and remarkably simple.

I'll try it when I have the time, will tell ya how it turns out. :D

Haha.

Yeah... it doesn't taste quite like a classic victoria sponge-type cake, the texture of the sponge is more moiste (kind of sticky)... but it's still technicially a sponge but tastes a little bit different to a regular sponge. I had no eggs at the time though... so I was a bit stuck but gave it a go and turned out great so it's still a great recipe to have if you have no eggs available; hopefully you'll like it too!

This thread is making me hungry. I really should be more adventurous with my cooking. Maybe that's should be my new year's resolution. Needs to be relatively simple and quick though....which a lot these seem to be!

Ok - Help.

It's January and the credit crunch is in full effect, I want to do a healthy food shop on a budget, I'd like to lose weight (not a resolution thing, just general) and try and do maybe 1200 calories a day.

This is my shopping basket so far, what do you think, can you help, etc

Baking potatoes

Mission Deli wraps - Take to work instead of bread

Weight Watchers Danish white bread

Mixed stir fry (The veg & beansprouts) - I heart making Stir Fry

Pepper Stir fry (The veg & beansprouts)

Chicken fillets x 2

Sweetcorn in water x 4

Dress Italian Pasta sauce

Dress Italian Pasta sauce

Ryvita Crackerbread

Ryvita Crispbread

New Covenent Garden Carrot Soup

New Covenent Garden Fresh soup

New Covenent Garden Winter Soup

Bernard Matthews Turkey Escalopes

Garlic kievs

John West Tuna chunks

Colman's Tuna bake (Sachet to make them)

Fresh Ravioli x 2

Fresh Tortellini

If I need to start again, I will. I just need to be really careful of cost / calories. I'm happy to look into more ingredients that require preparing and cooking from scratch - as long as it's cheap enough and is not too complicated for my basic level of cooking skill.

I am shopping at ASDA online.

Thanks in advance :)

Laura, I gave up bread, pasta and alot of potato last year and i have to say it's amazing how little i miss it, well as part of my regular diet anyway.

It's a little tricky at first as this country is so reliant upon snack foods that are based around processed carbs. However, once you're used to some basic substitutions then it's quite easy to do and bits and pieces have now crept back into my diet in sensible ways, as part of a specific meal rather than being what i based meals around or if i really fancy something like a subway, which is rare as the negative effects of the bread usually put you off.

Overall i probably eat about a 10th of the processed carbs that i used to. Nutritionally you get very little benefit from them and they are a massive calorie intake, they also bloat you alot.

The odd pizza, subway or naan with a curry is pretty much my lot now. I'd seriously consider this, it will almost certainly help you lose weight and push you to eating more protein (feel fuller for longer on less) and veg/salad.

I do buy from our greengrocer & butcher when Al is here and we have the car, but I don't drive and my nearest Supermarket is quite far away, so I do my shopping online as luckily I am able to get delivery where I live.

I need to order the food for the rest of this month online.

Like I say, I'm good to make stuff myself, as long as it's the cheaper option, the Covent Garden soups are 1 pound, I doubt I could make it myself for that?

Â