Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

I used to follow tennis quite a bit, but now it is really Wimbledon or nothing. Still, I will forever remember those Federer years fondly, and David Foster Wallace's brilliant piece sums up why.

I still think he has another Slam in him, but to be at his age and still competing at the top says all you need to know about the man.

He's over the hill in the sense that he has fallen from being the undisputed number one to some that is now unable to dominate the sport like he used to. He is still a great player and one of the best in the sport but age has had its effect. Also R-Fed was that good that he forced the entire sport of tennis to adapt and to churn out these robotic hackers like Nadal and Murray that can get to his shots and keep the play going.

I think if he doesn't win a slam this year he should pack it in. He still has a chance to do it at Wimbledon because grass is his surface.

That said I still can't stand Murray, he is dull with no charisma, I've just never felt like supporting the guy not once in his entire career. I hope Novak can exact some revenge on him for the US open.

I'd go as far as saying Federer is the greatest tennis player of all time.

very much ...this

Murray destroyed Djokovic in the US open , if he can play at the same pace then he will win  .. but that is a big ask

Cross post from another forum I read.  The post starts off on the brief disagreement Murray & Federer had in the 4th set, which was something of nothing. 

There's always a load of crap written about Federer and Murray's perceived coldness towards each other.  I certainly don't think they love each other, but I'm sure it's nothing like is made out. Federer was a bit tetchy throughout the match - as much as I've seen probably since the 2009 US final against Del Potro.  However, I suspect that's because he knew he was a) not in perfect physical condition, and B) likely to be up against it all night, given the conditions and Murray's standard of play.  Federer is clearly a proud man and pretty accustomed to winning; he has been able to keep the young pretenders at arm's length for so long, but he's running out of time.  He knows he was outplayed, and I suspect this was a tough one to swallow.  The incident in question was a bit strange: Federer does shout something and Murray kind of sneers, but who knows whether Fed was shouting at Murray, and Murray was reacting to that.  I never noticed anything in the rally itself, and people read a lot of stuff into expressions and the like.  But even if that's what happened, all kinds of emotions will be surfacing through a match like this so I think it's a bit of a non-story really.

But anyway.  I thought Murray was comfortably the better player almost from start to finish.  It's actually pretty amazing it went as far as it did, and testament to Federer's (sometimes underrated) mental strength that he could push it that far, given that he was comprehensively outplayed pretty much as soon as a rally went beyond five strokes.  It called to mind the 2007(?) Wimbledon final against Nadal, where Federer was often outplayed but came up with the goods in two tie-breakers.  On that occasion he won the final set 6-2, but here he had nothing left - which I think surprised nobody by that stage.

This again felt like another significant step towards what seems an inevitable changing of the guard.  It's not just about Federer's advancing age and Murray's coming into his prime: the game is undoubtedly changing.  On these medium-paced Oz courts, combined with a night-time slot (as it always is for semis and final here, of course) it's not a high percentage strategy to shorten points against a mover as good as Murray - but it's the only option a player like Federer has.

That's not to take anything away from Murray - he was absolutely amazing for the most part.  I actually thought Federer played well, yet Murray was clearly superior.  It's a measure of how far Murray has come, and how well he now plays the big matches.  But you can't ignore the fact that the game is changing, fueled by predominantly medium-paced courts and advancing racquet/string technology.  It's increasingly a baseline grinder's tour, where the foundations for success are the ability to scrap your way through 30-shot rallies, and build from there.  (It's no coincidence that Ferrer is a solid 5 in the world: he's Djokovic, Murray & Nadal, just without the offensive weapons which take them to such an extreme level).  There's a lot more to it than that of course - these are undeniably incredible players - but playing three-strike tennis as Federer wants feels a lot like a losing battle in the age of Djokovic and Murray - they're just too quick, too strong, too good.

But while I'd like to see a bit more court variety, I don't want to end on that point.  Murray was exceptional, and that was one of the very best performances I've seen from him.  I'd put this above his performance in the Olympics final, considering how well Federer played today.  Murray brutally dismantled his game at times, and only Federer's experience enabled him to dig in and avoid a drubbing.  Murray has become the player so many people always believed he would and could be, and I remain convinced he will end the year as no.1. 

Superb stuff from Murray there.  I think that first set was a huge one to win and he absolutely killed it in the tie break.   This definitely wont be a straight sets game because Djok is too good and too determined to let that happen, but c'mon Andy!

Â