Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

He has never really dominated the whole tennis scene though has he? It's only the French where he does well. Federer dominated from 2003-2009, a few others were just getting a few grand slams here and there in that period.

Edited by Voinjama

He has had knee problems for as long as I can remember. I always felt it was due to his bulk at such a young age. It wasn't his natural shape and I think he has paid the price. He looks physically different now than those first 3-4 years on the scene.

There is also the problem with how he plays the game. A lot of wear and tear.

He'll get a few more grand slams but unlike Federer I think he'll reach a point where he physically can't go on rather than just getting old and having other commitments.

You are being a bit harsh there, Nadal has a career grand slam which is something only three players (Agassi, Federer & Nadal) have achieved during the open era.  He is one of only two players alongside Agassi to achieve the golden slam (all four grand slam titles and Olympic gold) 

He got to seven out of the eight grand slam finals between the French in 2010 and the French in 2012, winning four and losing three.  He has excelled in a very strong era for mens singles tennis and I think he can fairly be called an all time great. 

People have been saying for years he is going to suffer with injuries though, he is built like  middleweight boxer rather than a tennis player which might mean he is carrying a bit too much weight for his joints to take considering what he asks them to do every time he plays given his all action style where he chases every single ball down.

Compare Nadal to someone like Federer who seemingly never gets injured and defies age because he is so much more able to let the ball do the work rather than his body and I don't think you can argue he is the best ever but compare Nadal to pretty much anybody else and he is up there.  He can certainly be spoken of in the same breath as people like Borg, McEnroe, Connors & Agassi. 

• Like 1

Quite clearly he was injured. It takes something away from the tournament Nadal being knocked out so early on. My feeling is Djokovic will win it but Murray on grass is a big threat.

.  He can certainly be spoken of in the same breath as people like Borg, McEnroe, Connors & Agassi.

I'd argue the 4 greatest tennis players of all time are from the current batch

Federer , Nadal , Djokovic and Murray

Harsh on the Sampras'ssss of the world but I don't beleive Sampras would have dominated if he were playing now against those 4

.  He can certainly be spoken of in the same breath as people like Borg, McEnroe, Connors & Agassi.

Harsh on the Sampras'ssss of the world but I don't beleive Sampras would have dominated if he were playing now against those 4

Murray has to achieve alot more before he can be put in Sampras' league. I do rate Murray highly though.

Edited by Voinjama

I think its the greatest era ever in men's tennis

Murray is nowhere near 'of all time' yet.

He's got all the attributes

It's difficult to call as such as record books will show Sampras with dozens of grand slams but I really don't think he was as good a player as Murray is .... The game moved on , in much the way most sports do ... Chances are 25 years from now we will be talking about a new batch of players being the best ever

Puskas was without doubt the greatest footballer of his time but would a little fat chap achieve what he did in the game had he been around now ??

Edited by tonyh29

I'm not buying this 'one of the greatest upsets ever'. If Nadal was fully fit then yes, absolutely, but the man was nowhere near fully fit. He was crocked.

Â