Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

after last year we're still having a go at murray simply for losing to someone who is extraordinarily good? Really? Really ? The first two sets were excellent but Novak went up a gear, and don't underestimate the extra days rest ( what a farcical schedule ) bonus helped Novak too. He deserved to win, but attackiing Murray's character is ludicrious to me. 

The thing is though there's a lot of truth in what people say.

You can see the moment in a game when you know Murray won't win, and it long before he's beaten.

He's got better at dealing with it than he used to be, but it's still there.

Novak going "up a gear" didn't make Murray serve a double fault. Murray letting stupid shit distract him and take his mind off the game did.

Murray is clearly able to mix it with the likes of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. I think it's almost nailed on he'll win a couple more slams before he retires and in this kind of company that's an astonishing achievement.

I'd take this quartet over any quartet from any particular era.

Tennis is another sport where it is difficult to compare eras though.  The game today is generally slower than it has been in the past and modern rackets have much bigger sweet spots than older equipment. You cant really serve and volley these days as modern equipment has made it too easy to hit passing shots.

Balls and courts have slowed down and became more similar in behaviour to stop the monster serve dominating as it was beginning to with the introduction of modern rackets. It's becoming a baseliners game, and the current crop of players have mastered that part of the game.  Would they have been able to live with the very best serve-volley players of the era of McEnroe, Borg, Becker, Edberg & Sampras?    

Nowadays it's a game fit for hackers. I personally find it boring, today's final was for the most part a snooze-fest for me. Definitely difficult to compare compare eras but I do believe that Federer is that transcendent talent that could play and excel in most eras of the game. That's why he's the greatest of all time.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â