Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

His defeat annoys me far more than it should

The US open and this were his for the taking , it would have moved him up to 5 slams and help towards cementing his place as one of the greats

Instead  , he will probably end up having less Grand Slams than Stanislas Wawrinka by the end of their respective carers and the gulf in class between the two of them is so vast that it would be a travesty ... 

it's a bit early to write Murray off of course , but  , he's sorta under achieved for his ability , regardless of how good Novak is (was)  

He's won 3 hasn't he? Two Wimbledon's and a US Open. He might be the more consistent player than Stan but Stan does have the greater weapons . Its still the old guard that are in the later stages again. Full credit to Federer at the age of 35 he has come back after missing most of last season and has put himself into a position to win another slam. When you talk about Murray, he's just not in the same league as Federer.

I get annoyed when these players come along and play one great match against a top opponent like Djokovic and Murray and then cant re-produce it again. It doesn't help the tournament, it just makes it easier for other top players to win a slam.

Edited by PaulC

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

He's won 3 hasn't he? Two Wimbledon's and a US Open.

you mean like I said when I posted " The US open and this were his for the taking , it would have moved him up to 5 " :P

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Federer is simply the best ever, beautiful stuff, one of the most satisfying tennis matches I've ever watched. 

Weve been lucky to see the Federer, Nadal, Djokovic era. Without them players like Murray, Wawrinka, Tsonga and Berdych would have a lot more slams.

Is there a new set of greats coming though?

Edit: Federer is also the best and I imagine will be the best player I ever see, not only in achievement but in style and technique. 

Edited by Nicho
  • Like 3

alex zverev looks like biggest young talent in the younger age group so far. Dmitrov did play very well against Nadal so if he is maturing ( he's still younger than Murray when he won his first slam ) then he could be in the mix. 

34 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Weve been lucky to see the Federer, Nadal, Djokovic era. Without them players like Murray, Wawrinka, Tsonga and Berdych would have a lot more slams.

Edit: Federer is also the best and I imagine will be the best player I ever see, not only in achievement but in style and technique. 

I think it will be many many years before we see another great like the first three you have mentioned. Its not just talent is it. I agree Federer winning a slam 5 years after winning his last one has proved he's the greatest. Aesthetically as well! I think Djokovic is still only 29 so can  win a few more and has the most atp masters wins already but he wont catch 18 slams now.

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

I doubt Djokovic will be winning much going forward, there is something very dodgy about that guy and it's no coincidence that his level has dropped since Sharapova got banned, there's something 'missing' in his training regime and it's not intensity. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Can't cope with being number one and the expectations, worked his butt off to get there but little left in the tank currently.

French open is a write off, really worry if he's this flat on grass.

I think Murrays lack of form at the moment says more about Federer/Nadal/Djokovic than it does about him.

He's got the millions, he's got the family, he's got the grand slams and the world number 1, what's left really?

Â