Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Tbh if people just used their god damn heads then we wouldn't need to be having arguments about if they're vaxxed or not.

Feeling a bit under the weather? Do a test.

Visiting someone vulnerable? Do a test

Going to a place with lots of people? Do a test

This would have massively reduced the spread and hospitalisations. If the population continued to do this, regardless of vaccination status, we'd be in a much better position. Problem is, people just can't be arsed.

I’d much rather go to an event with people who are vaccinated OR unvaccinated, but who test 24hrs prior, than an event where you have a Covid passport but don’t need to test before hand because of it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nope, that's fair.  Which is why I said...

...and the same guy you've posted stated:

It's unknown.  So let's be cautious until we have the data.

Fair. He’s said some commentators are being alarmist (true) and the next day he said we need to be calm.
It’s fine imposing restrictions to manage the spread of the virus, but I do think the message sent out could be managed in a more delicate (and calmer) way rather than sounding the klaxons of impending doom. The worse case scenarios/data always seem to get pushed much harder and there doesn’t seem to be much positive data/many positive scenarios offered as a counterweight. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Fair. He’s said some commentators are being alarmist (true) and the next day he said we need to be calm.
It’s fine imposing restrictions to manage the spread of the virus, but I do think the message sent out could be managed in a more delicate (and calmer) way rather than sounding the klaxons of impending doom. The worse case scenarios/data always seem to get pushed much harder and there doesn’t seem to be much positive data/many positive scenarios offered as a counterweight. 

I suppose my only counter would really be... who cares?  If the worst case is pushed forward and creates a load of panic leading to people being really careful... but then data comes out showing that it isn't the case, what's the issue?

Again, our current restrictions are "wear a mask".  The outrage.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

I suppose my only counter would really be... who cares?  If the worst case is pushed forward and creates a load of panic leading to people being really careful... but then data comes out showing that it isn't the risk, what's the issue?

Again, our current restrictions are "wear a mask".  The outrage.

The issue, though, is that focusing on the most outlandish scenarios - and 'it's doubling and going to continue to double every 1.9 days from a base of 200,000 infections per day two days ago' is an extremely outlandish scenario (are we at 800,000 infections today? will we be at 1.6 million infections on Saturday, or 3.2 million infections on Monday?) - creates the political pressure for much tougher measures. If the line is going to be held at 'let's have a booster vaccination drive and wear masks in shops' then that's one thing (though the second part of that is almost completely useless from a transmission perspective), but it likely isn't. It's fairly clear to me that alarmism creates a ratchet effect in restrictions.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The issue, though, is that focusing on the most outlandish scenarios - and 'it's doubling and going to continue to double every 1.9 days from a base of 200,000 infections per day two days ago' is an extremely outlandish scenario (are we at 800,000 infections today? will we be at 1.6 million infections on Saturday, or 3.2 million infections on Monday?) - creates the political pressure for much tougher measures. If the line is going to be held at 'let's have a booster vaccination drive and wear masks in shops' then that's one thing (though the second part of that is almost completely useless from a transmission perspective), but it likely isn't. It's fairly clear to me that alarmism creates a ratchet effect in restrictions.

I'm not particularly anti-restrictions, I guess, so it doesn't particularly alarm me that we may "need" to lockdown for a couple of weeks or whatever.  But, again, large scale worry to "oh, it's OK actually" is much better than no worry and "****, our resources are actually pretty drained now".  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not particularly anti-restrictions, I guess, so it doesn't particularly alarm me that we may "need" to lockdown for a couple of weeks or whatever.  But, again, large scale worry to "oh, it's OK actually" is much better than no worry and "****, our resources are actually pretty drained now".  

Again though, 'large scale worry' does not seem to actually help. There's a useful thread on some of the research around this here:

. . . but basically the public respond better to a combination of fear/seriousness *and* hope of dealing with the problem, rather than one of fear alone. This gets *more* true the further you get into a pandemic, because lots of people are fundamentally exhaused with having to talk about and think about and plan around covid. A message of pure fear, that focuses alone on worst-case scenarios, projects exponential growth without end, and takes on a hysterical/apocalyptic tone, is more likely to drive denial and disengagement, and then discredit public health figures when it inevitably turns out that we don't have 3.2 million daily infections on Tuesday next week.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Still no mention of taking Vitamins and cutting down on Chips. The guys a fraud. 

If they ever had to ban chips then I think I would go full Gammon on it.

They can take away our freedoms, our privacy, and even our dignity.  But they can never take away our chips.

• Haha 2

No doubt when the "panic" instilled by all the warnings has prompted most people to go get their booster jabs thereby protecting them from serious illness and keeping the pandemic under control some will be on here saying "told you there was nothing to worry about" 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

We're almost certainly overreacting to the omicron variant

Competent responses to new variants can hardly be expected when data are interpreted and acted on at lightning speed

Just adding another silly bint to the bin-fire. This one is Carl Heneghan: a professor of evidence-based medicine at the University of Oxford and director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine

1 minute ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Just adding another silly bint to the bin-fire. This one is Carl Heneghan: a professor of evidence-based medicine at the University of Oxford and director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine

Yep, good!

My booster not due yet as I had the 2 vaccines late. I'm happy to be the guinea pig for this possible deadly Omicrom variant, not getting the booster till Jan

My view is, give panic most people will listen. Ask nicely saying this Omicron may increase pressure on the NHS but we think it's mild symptoms and people carry on as normal.  Fact is the government don't want to afford risk this time, as most think they f**** up last time. So public pressure has forced them to sound the klaxons, why a few of us go cancelling parties and family meetings.

I'm yet to be convinced this omicron is any worst than a mild cold, an the rate of infections may be down to most people, until recently getting back to normal life.

Declaration for paranoid VT members:

I am more than happy to be proved wrong on all this and await true UK figures.

• Like 1

Â