Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Looks like France reported 70,00 + new cases there yesterday. We only did that a couple of times and that was right at the very height in December/January. 

Don't know if there was some reporting anomaly for that, but you would imagine their death rates are going to get scary in a few weeks. 

It was something I was looking over earlier in the weekend.

I noticed the BBC website doesn’t really do European coverage in any serious way anymore, so I was on english translation of a couple of French news sites.

Looks like yesterday (or maybe Friday) there were 36,000 new cases just in Paris. Over 90,000 hospitalised in greater Paris.

I have a friends in their 50’s that have a daughter doing the au pair gig in Paris. They haven’t seen each other since Christmas 2019, I don’t think anyone is under any illusion they’ll be meeting up any time soon. 

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Over 90,000 hospitalised in greater Paris.

That’s horrendous 😮 

40,000 in hospital across the UK had the NHS at breaking point. How can they handle that many people? Do they have a version of the Nightingales?

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s horrendous 😮 

40,000 in hospital across the UK had the NHS at breaking point. How can they handle that many people? Do they have a version of the Nightingales?

I don’t know how that works, or what the threshold is for hospitalisation. But I do know they are ‘full’ for the entire region and are shipping people out of the region to hospital beds.

I thought it was interesting to see a speech from Macron where (in translation) he described ‘the British virus, which originated in Britain’. When what we would say it was identified in Kent, not originated in Kent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t know how that works, or what the threshold is for hospitalisation. But I do know they are ‘full’ for the entire region and are shipping people out of the region to hospital beds.

I thought it was interesting to see a speech from Macron where (in translation) he described ‘the British virus, which originated in Britain’. When what we would say it was identified in Kent, not originated in Kent. 

Yep, it’s fuel for their fire unfortunately.

Boris talks about “our friends in Europe” and they talk about us like that. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

And Johnson is nothing if not a sincere straight bat only on it to help others. 

• Like 2

If the EU does go through with blocking the vaccine then it's the kind of headline that will surely lead to worse events.

The British media really got behind Brexit when David Cameron went for concessions and was rejected. I shudder to think what comes next in this instance.

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

Johnson is full of shit and his words mean f all. His actions speak louder than his words and if he was judged on them he'd be nowhere near number 10. 

As for the EU they have f'd up and are now trying to cover their own arses. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Problem is we’re not vaccinated for all the variants that are out there. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

True, but what if it constantly mutates into new variants every year? Do we stay locked down for 50 years? 100 years? 

There has to be a point where the lockdown causes more harm than opening up. I don't think we are far away from that point. 

Once all adults have been vaccinated, what possible better situation is there, vis a vis covid? How could we be in a better position?

I can think of one way; there could be an over-the-counter medicine that cured it. Other than that, vaccinating the population is as good as it's going to get. People who talk about still needing restrictions after that are not proposing an actual end to ever needing restrictions.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the outrageous stance of the EU over vaccinations should give the government something to think about in terms of food and energy security.

No probs, we’re having more nukes.

They’ve done a detailed analysis of all the security issues and what could possibly go wrong and who could hit what weak spot. The verdict was, more nukes.

Oh, and do more business with corrupt regimes that don’t comply with basic human rights.

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don’t see any potential issues with using only one location for the whole country to test reopening what millions of 18-30 year olds have been desperate to do for a year. None at all.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

I don’t see any potential issues with using only one location for the whole country to test reopening what millions of 18-30 year olds have been desperate to do for a year. None at all.

Well yes quite. Hotels will be booked up in seconds

Â