Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I've seen it on twitter, so big pinch of salt, that the mutated strain is more transmissible in children than the strain we've struggled with all year. If true now more than ever there needs to be a real alternative to getting kids crammed into a stuffy room. And that's children of all ages.

Not suggesting a full lockdown but what other choices are there? Until the vaccine is delivered to as many people as poss (which the Tory tools will absolutely definitely bugger up), I don't know how else we can keep people safe from the new strain.

• Like 1

Unless it is impossible for children to get or transmit the virus, kids in school will lead to the virus spreading. Any type of communal interaction is going to spread it, but schools are particularly bad because kids don't follow hygiene rules and schools tend to concentrate very high numbers of people in 1 place - after all, each class in a school is a meeting of around 30 different families in essence, and those families will then mingle with others due to the kids sharing facilities, interacting between classes and years, etc etc.

Basically without schools closing, they inevitably are a huge vector for spread. But as before, the schools are basically a vanguard against the country grinding to a halt, so they aren't getting shut again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

On Central news just now they showed huge queues outside of shops like Zara as people desperately get their clothing essentials before they close. 

A mate has just texted me saying Tesco is like Supermarket Sweep tonight... **** knows why, supermarkets are staying open!

Good old 'common sense' British public. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

A mate has just texted me saying Tesco is like Supermarket Sweep tonight... **** knows why, supermarkets are staying open!

No tinned tomatoes or pasta on the shelves for a few days then. Bellends. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

We had to pick up my lads glasses from Asda at 4:30 this afternoon, it was absolutely mental.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

We had to pick up my lads glasses from Asda at 4:30 this afternoon, it was absolutely mental.

I've posted a few times about my "Brexit box" with a few weeks of dried and tinned stuff I've been maintaining for the better part of a year. So glad I've had it every time new restrictions come in.

It's never been about the country really running out of food, it's ensuring that when the panic buying start, I don't have to go anywhere near it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I've posted a few times about my "Brexit box" with a few weeks of dried and tinned stuff I've been maintaining for the better part of a year. So glad I've had it every time new restrictions come in.

It's never been about the country really running out of food, it's ensuring that when the panic buying start, I don't have to go anywhere near it

We grabbed a home delivery slot for next week so it should tie us over for a little while.

My wife stopped at Morrison’s on the way home for some veg for dinner. She said it’s the worst she’s ever seen it, queues down all the aisles, no social distancing and shelves empty. 

This is in an area that’s staying in Tier 3, literally nothing has changed and people are still panicking like morons. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

it’s the worst she’s ever seen it, queues down all the aisles, no social distancing 

The supermarkets are completely failing to ensure safety of people. There haven't been any queues outside for months, and it's almost always filled far above capacity unless I go quite late in the evening. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The supermarkets are completely failing to ensure safety of people. There haven't been any queues outside for months, and it's almost always filled far above capacity unless I go quite late in the evening. 

Yep. I was saying this recently, I’d happily go back to queuing outside if it meant limited numbers and more space inside. Instead, they’re just trying to coin as much in as possible. 

Late on is definitely the way forward, after 11pm is a nice time to go.

• Like 1

Supermarkets failing or people failing?

Personally had enough of my daughter being abused by the good old general public since the start of this fungus.

Not her fault you have to queue or wear a face mask and there may be shortages on shelf as Armageddon is coming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sid4ever said:

Supermarkets failing or people failing?

Personally had enough of my daughter being abused by the good old general public since the start of this fungus.

Not her fault you have to queue or wear a face mask and there may be shortages on shelf as Armageddon is coming.

Yes, they have said repeatedly they can't be policeman and I do have a lot of sympathy. 

They get abused plenty enough in NORMAL times.  I think sometimes normal right thinking people just don't realise just how abhorrent some people can be

There is no reasoning with them and you can't apply rational thought processes to how they conduct themselves. 

And that's just the downright scummy people, when you add in the drunkards, the druggies and the care in the community people with mental issues there is a all sorts of difficulties you are expecting a minimum wage kid in a supermarket to deal with. 

In my time at McDonalds I witnessed some stuff that really wasn't worth the £3.30 per hour most were earning back then. 

So what do you do, employ an army of private security? Maybe but then they get accused of heavy handed.  No win. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

Â