Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/12/19 at 23:59

Looking at their forums, they are, almost to a man, of the opinion that the referee was incredibly weak and that we both kicked them up and down Villa Park and dived and play acted relentlessly.  

I've got to say that's surprised me, usually when we get that sort of reaction from opposition fans I can see why - I usually disagree with them because I'm not in any way neutral on these things, but I can understand why it's brought up - if it's been a game where there have ben a lot incidents and it's been really scrappy - but I didn't see this one that way at all.

I think McGinn probably got away with one late on that should have been a card but I think other than that we were booked when we should have been. I thought their right back got away with a lot of technical fouls in the first half before his booking, but nothing particularly aggressive -  I thought Maddison showed that he can buy a foul/manage a referee/dive and whinge - but then so did Grealish.

I don't think the referee had a particularly good game - but I think it was about even in terms of what was dished out and how he reacted to it. Both teams did about the same amount of bad stuff and got about the right punishment for it I thought - it'd odd that they seem to think we were unwarranted aggressors throughout and should have finished with nine men - I'm not sure what they were watching, but they all agree on it - I mean all of them - there's not really any difference of opinion between any of them.

Strange.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Looking at their forums, they are, almost to a man, of the opinion that the referee was incredibly weak and that we both kicked them up and down Villa Park and dived and play acted relentlessly.  

I've got to say that's surprised me, usually when we get that sort of reaction from opposition fans I can see why - I usually disagree with them because I'm not in any way neutral on these things, but I can understand why it's brought up - if it's been a game where there have ben a lot incidents and it's been really scrappy - but I didn't see this one that way at all.

I think McGinn probably got away with one late on that should have been a card but I think other than that we were booked when we should have been. I thought their right back got away with a lot of technical fouls in the first half before his booking, but nothing particularly aggressive -  I thought Maddison showed that he can buy a foul/manage a referee/dive and whinge - but then so did Grealish.

I don't think the referee had a particularly good game - but I think it was about even in terms of what was dished out and how he reacted to it. Both teams did about the same amount of bad stuff and got about the right punishment for it I thought - it'd odd that they seem to think we were unwarranted aggressors throughout and should have finished with nine men - I'm not sure what they were watching, but they all agree on it - I mean all of them - there's not really any difference of opinion between any of them.

Strange.

Probably that horror tackle that Targett did that sticks in their mind. He should have gotten a red for that most days.

28 minutes ago, sne said:

Probably that horror tackle that Targett did that sticks in their mind. He should have gotten a red for that most days.

In which case it might be just me as I can't remember that at all - whereabouts did it happen and when in the game?

I have remembered that Wesley did give Schmeichel a great big shove after our goal - that wasn't very nice.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

In which case it might be just me as I can't remember that at all - whereabouts did it happen and when in the game?

I have remembered that Wesley did give Schmeichel a great big shove after our goal - that wasn't very nice.

He got a yellow in the 50th so I think it was that situation but I'm not sure.

Was watching while working so missed a fair few situations. Didn't think we played ugly on the whole but maybe we did.

Think a situation like that might stick thou. Was a straight leg tackle with force.

Yep, that's a nasty one - in fairness I think it's accidental, but it's not a good tackle at all.

I'm guessing then that TV caught more than was immediately visible at the ground as I'm guessing most of the fans on the Leicester forum weren't in attendance. That's sometimes the case and I guess makes some sense - it didn't feel like that kind of game from the seats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, that's a nasty one - in fairness I think it's accidental, but it's not a good tackle at all.

I'm guessing then that TV caught more than was immediately visible at the ground as I'm guessing most of the fans on the Leicester forum weren't in attendance. That's sometimes the case and I guess makes some sense - it didn't feel like that kind of game from the seats.

Having watched on TV I can sympathise with the Leicester fans - it definitely occurred to me that we were ill-disciplined. It's not something I ever notice so for me to notice it would suggest there is some truth to what they are saying. We were conceding stupid fouls, picking up yellows across the pitch and even Grealish was going down more easily than usual. It actually spoilt the game even more for me that the only way we thought we could try and have a go was to chip away at them, picking up yellow cards in the process, or trying to win free kicks. It's not how I want to see any team play, certainly not Villa.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PaulC said:

Many thought he was a one season wonder, but he has got better with age. Best striker in the Premier League this season by a distance.

Yes I was massively wrong on him. Couldn't believe it when England called him up at end of 14/15 when he'd only scored 3-4 goals that season, I didn't think he was much better than Weimann at that point.

Around that time I thought Kane would only be a one season wonder aswell!

My comments:

I was more upset at losing against Liverplop to be honest

Leicester are the best team I have seen play at Villa for a while, they could have scored with nearly every attack

Well once Mings went off injured if that is how we are going to defend without him, then we will go down.

Leicester played like Villa did under Ron Saunders, so quick on the counter attack compared to our plodding build up, and as for Wes, I really want him to do well but he offered nothing during the game. We are playing with 10 men, my mother who is 85 would have scored more goals this season than Wes.

Why are we so scared of shooting?

Jack had a poor game, are other teams working out now that if they keep Jack quiet as we have no creativity if he is kept quiet?

I know there was not much time to organise a proper send off for Ron Saunders but what Villa did on Sunday was shocking I was upset to see such an amateurish haphazard memorial of our greatest manager.

oh well onto the next game

Regards to all

Derek

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

Having watched on TV I can sympathise with the Leicester fans - it definitely occurred to me that we were ill-disciplined. It's not something I ever notice so for me to notice it would suggest there is some truth to what they are saying. We were conceding stupid fouls, picking up yellows across the pitch and even Grealish was going down more easily than usual. It actually spoilt the game even more for me that the only way we thought we could try and have a go was to chip away at them, picking up yellow cards in the process, or trying to win free kicks. It's not how I want to see any team play, certainly not Villa.

Fair enough, as I say, there were so many of them that had the same opinion on it that I did wonder if it was me and my vantage point. They didn't seem completely mental and they were completely consistent. I'll put it down to my old eyes.

On 08/12/2019 at 16:02, MaVilla said:

lol, you havent seen much of Villa then........or you are blind........we have had PLENTY of worse players.

Maybe, but how many more games need to go by and how many more utterly ineffectual performance need to go by before he is in that group? Next 4 games answers that question I think. 

On 08/12/2019 at 16:02, privateer said:

Wretched day. It's an awful indication of where we are right now that we are not in the bottom three because Steve Bloody Bruce did us a solid by getting a come from behind win over a garbage team and Sheffield Utd managed the same against an even worse team.

Well yeah, that's the way it works. The poorer teams get beaten by most and go down. 

We are above those teams because eg Steve Bruce did not come from behind and beat us. 

22 hours ago, AJ said:

My first and probably only game at Villa Park. I would first say I fell immediately in love with the place. Walking up from the train station and hearing the Villa faithful in full voice raised hairs on the back of my neck. As I entered the stadium , I was greeted with hail from the heavens, and took the long walk up the stairs with ice in my hair. The pitch looked marvellous. This was going to be a wonderful day.

And then the game started. Oh dear. We were playing so poorly, I checked my ticket at half time in case I walked into the circus instead. Defending seemed optional, and taking a shot at goal seemed like the worst idea in the history of football. There seemed to be no structure, and a lot of the players needed to revisit what being a professional means. That was the worst they had played this season, and reminded me of our relegation season.

Despite the result, I am glad I went. Cant say if I would be back again, but if I could, I would. A bad day at Villa Park will still be better than a good day watching a crappy stream at stupid o'clock. We can turn this around.

UTV.

are you a Viking?

on the game -

you clearly seen what I seen.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

My comments:

I was more upset at losing against Liverplop to be honest

Leicester are the best team I have seen play at Villa for a while, they could have scored with nearly every attack

Well once Mings went off injured if that is how we are going to defend without him, then we will go down.

Leicester played like Villa did under Ron Saunders, so quick on the counter attack compared to our plodding build up, and as for Wes, I really want him to do well but he offered nothing during the game. We are playing with 10 men, my mother who is 85 would have scored more goals this season than Wes.

Why are we so scared of shooting?

Jack had a poor game, are other teams working out now that if they keep Jack quiet as we have no creativity if he is kept quiet?

I know there was not much time to organise a proper send off for Ron Saunders but what Villa did on Sunday was shocking I was upset to see such an amateurish haphazard memorial of our greatest manager.

oh well onto the next game

Regards to all

Derek

But.................is she available?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

are you a Viking?

on the game -

you clearly seen what I seen.

No.

Just some South Pacific numpty who rocks up at the last minute, and didn't notice the elevator until half time.

• Haha 1

On 08/12/2019 at 18:48, danceoftheshamen said:

Went with my daughter and was shocked at how poor we were in all honesty. Leicester are decent but we handed them that victory with our poor play.

The first goal was one of those disgustingly awful passes straight to one of their players which Nakamba appears to drop in far too often for my liking. I do wonder if Mings going down feeling his hamstring caused a momentary loss of concentration or something but it was a shocking error. Even then we still had a chance to clear it but a weak challenge by Konza allowed Vardy to nip in. Then of course we lost Mings which you could see lifted the Leicester players, especially as they were now 1-0 up too. Lost count of the ridiculous passes straight to their players when in good positions. Luiz, Nakamba, McGinn, Grealish & Elghazi were all guilty of it. It happens a lot and does not seem to be improving over time either which says to me the quality of player is sub-standard.

Got a decent goal back and yet after half time we were second to practically everything.

As for Wesley he is just so clueless regards making runs which for me is why he seldom scores or even shoots. A few good balls were put in by Elmo & co but he was never once anywhere near them. Poor.

All round i thought that was one of the shabbyest performances i have seen from a Villa team at Villa Park in a long while. Now it looks like Mings has done his hamstring and i fear for us as that now weakens us for these vital games over Christmas.

just about sums up exactly how I saw the game.

• Like 1

I must admit, all through the game I kept referring to that No 4, who is he?, i was saying......He was immaculate.

I now know He Is Caglar Soyuncu a 23 Year old Turkish International bought from SC Freiburg for £ 19 mill

What a player.

need lessons now to pronounce his name.

Their recruitment is WOW.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 08/12/2019 at 18:30, PompeyVillan said:

Leicester look like the sort of team that we want to be. They move the ball quickly, they look dynamic and fast. They've got some classy players and they're feckin quick. Brendan Rogers is doing a magnificent job. I would be delighted to see that sort of football from Villa.

They are however, years ahead of us in terms of development. I'm confident that we can get to that level in a few years. 

This was probably the first result that I think could damage confidence. We were dismantled at home. The away fans were giving the olès. We didn't play well, we lost a few players to injury. 

It doesn't take a genius to spot that we concede far too many chances. We are too open. We don't defend well as a team.

I also was massively frustrated by our inability to keep the ball today. We were sloppy, but also impatient. That needs to improve.

I'm starting to believe that we made a mistake signing Wesley with the idea of him being our 1st choice striker. He works ever so hard but he doesn't seem able to make an impact on the game, maybe we need to be more direct to get the best out of him. The contrast between Vardy and Wesley today was not flattering for Wesley. 

It's also worth remembering that these players are still quite new to each other and they have not yet developed that understanding that gives continuity to performances. That's not giving them an excuse, but I certainly feel that if we can get into next season and remain in the Premier League, we'll be all the better for it. 

I am not so sure about the first bit, it might take a genius you know......I have not exactly seen  a plethora of posts addressing the issue....I think to some defence is just a necessary evil.......I thought their Caglar Soyuncu No 4 showed a masterclass of how to defend....how any fan can fail to not be impressed with  his skills , i don't know.

Dean Smith himself has openly said the defence needs serious focus and attention.....it does and quick.

for me its been an issue all season, even when we have won.....but I think its a team thing as much as a back 4 thing.

Edited by TRO

On 09/12/2019 at 18:56, sne said:

He got a yellow in the 50th so I think it was that situation but I'm not sure.

Was watching while working so missed a fair few situations. Didn't think we played ugly on the whole but maybe we did.

Think a situation like that might stick thou. Was a straight leg tackle with force.

I think you need new curtains sne. 

23 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes I was massively wrong on him. Couldn't believe it when England called him up at end of 14/15 when he'd only scored 3-4 goals that season, I didn't think he was much better than Weimann at that point.

Around that time I thought Kane would only be a one season wonder aswell!

Yes 4 away from 100 Premier League goals for Leicester now!

On 09/12/2019 at 16:49, OutByEaster? said:

Grealish gave a few extra digs to Ndidi off the ball too which i think he was lucky to escape punishment for.

Â