Do you read?

Luke_W

American Gods is near a masterpiece. Gaiman at his best solo.

Not quite Good Omens but that book may be perfection, and unfairly adds Pratchett's talent to the mix to create a chimaera of an author that won't be touched.

• Like 2

On 29 August 2016 at 18:50, leemond2008 said:

A few of the books I have read recently

6251724.jpg8690609.jpg214340.jpg26891429.jpg

All really good books, I'd recommend them all (especially flowers for algernon)

Justin Cronin's Passage Trilogy is one of my favourite stories ever. It's quite a big volume of work across the three books and I thought each one was excellent. The way he combined two pretty well worn subject matters in such an original way was brilliant. 

Waiting for news on the TV show, hope he gets a budget and production team that can do it justice. 

• Like 2

Yeah the passage is an amazing trilogy, the worst thing for me was that I read each of them on the day they were released which left me with a horrible wait between each book. 

The first half of the last book was a real slow burner but the second half was absolutely fantastic, brilliant books

• Like 1

I started this yesterday, 60 pages in at the moment, it's decent but I just can't help but think that its not Steig Larsson

51ralJ0EmKL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist have not been in touch for some time.

Then Blomkvist is contacted by renowned Swedish scientist Professor Balder. Warned that his life is in danger, but more concerned for his son's well-being, Balder wants Millennium to publish his story - and it is a terrifying one.

More interesting to Blomkvist than Balder's world-leading advances in Artificial Intelligence, is his connection with a certain female superhacker.

It seems that Salander, like Balder, is a target of ruthless cyber gangsters - and a violent criminal conspiracy that will very soon bring terror to the snowbound streets of Stockholm, to the Millennium team, and to Blomkvist and Salander themselves

On 01/09/2016 at 15:40, theboyangel said:

Have got that on my list to read - never really a fan of other authors taking over another's characters but intrigued enough to see the Salander and Blomkvist relationship develop.

I have just finished The Girl In The Spiders Web

I'm not sure what to say really, it was ok, Salander wasn't really Salander, she was an extremely watered down version of the character, there is a whole section on Salander being influenced by Marvel comic books as well which was just stupid and ridiculous.

The most annoying thing though is that they have basically turned the 1998 Bruce Willis film Mercury Rising into a book and chopped and changed a few things

IMDB synopsis of Mercury Rising 'Shadowy elements in the NSA target a nine-year old autistic savant for death when he is able to decipher a top secret code.'

My Synopis of The girl in the spiders web 'Shadowy elements in the NSA target an autistic savant for death when he is able to identify a murderer'

honestly it is that simple (don't worry that's not a spoiler it's pretty much the whole premise of the book) 

It was ok probably 4 or 5 out of 10

• Like 2

I'm going to start this tomorrow, or I might even get the first few pages started tonight

895479.jpg

From our most celebrated writer of the psychological thriller comes this nerve-wracking yet eerily beautiful work of erotic obsession and madness.

In the summer of 1959 Stella Raphael joins her psychiatrist husband, Max, at his new posting--a maximum-security hospital for the criminally insane. Beautiful and headstrong, Stella soon falls under the spell of Edgar Stark, a brilliant and magnetic sculptor who has been confined to the hospital for murdering his wife in a psychotic rage.

But Stella's knowledge of Edgar's crime is no hindrance to the volcanic attraction that ensues--a passion that will consume Stella's sanity and destroy her and the lives of those around her.

Finished as many of Janny Wurts works as a I could find a few weeks ago (Wars of light and shadow, Cycle of fire, and a couple of standalone novels) She's very good. Have since moved on to Guy Gavriel Kay, started with Tigana which is fantastic, then The Fionavar tapestry which took me a while to get into but was well worth it in the end, Now reading A Song for Arbonne which is also quite brilliant.

On August 29, 2016 at 13:50, leemond2008 said:

A few of the books I have read recently

6251724.jpg8690609.jpg214340.jpg26891429.jpg

All really good books, I'd recommend them all (especially flowers for algernon)

the daniel keyes one was standard assigned middle school reading, probably across most of the US. i read it in 8th grade, can't remember a word of it :D

I read Flowers for Algernon as a teenager, but just for my own pleasure. Far too cool to be a set book in my school. 

And to repeat my plea above, if you (maqroll, or any other US VTer) happen to see a reasonably priced secondhand copy of Thomas Wolfe's "O Lost", please buy it for me (condition unimportant) and we'll sort out postage etc. So far, the cheapest I've seen is about £50 plus £25 postage for ex-library copies, which is crazy. 

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I read Flowers for Algernon as a teenager, but just for my own pleasure. Far too cool to be a set book in my school. 

And to repeat my plea above, if you (maqroll, or any other US VTer) happen to see a reasonably priced secondhand copy of Thomas Wolfe's "O Lost", please buy it for me (condition unimportant) and we'll sort out postage etc. So far, the cheapest I've seen is about £50 plus £25 postage for ex-library copies, which is crazy. 

On that note if anyone see's a reasonably priced copy of Roland Topor's 'The Tenant' 

It's currently priced between £90.46 and £2179.82 on Amazon, now I wanna read it but I don't wanna read it that badly

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

On that note if anyone see's a reasonably priced copy of Roland Topor's 'The Tenant' 

It's currently priced between £90.46 and £2179.82 on Amazon, now I wanna read it but I don't wanna read it that badly

Bit cheaper on Abe Books

So it is, I still wouldn't pay 20 quid for a paperback, I remember a while back there was another book which was only available for a ridiculous price for ages then one day I got it for about 99p

Jack ketchums 'girl next door' that was, proper disturbing book, I'd recommend it if you fancy a twisted read

Reading "End of days , the assassination of John F Kennedy " by James Swanson

I'll confess I've always been a bit of a conspiracy theorist when it comes to JFK , I know Oswald pulled the trigger , the evidence on where the shots came from has been proven to be irrefutable  but was he alone , was there more than one shooter etc , the conspiracy always looked compelling 

well,this book now reveals that I was a prized chump , there (almost certainly ) was no conspiracy and anyone that thinks there was probably just need to read up on Oswald (as this book has ) 

even LBJ who I always thought was a bit of a cock actually wasn't ... First thing he did as president was write letters to Kennedy's 2 children , which imo is quite a class act , I'll have to do a bit more reading on LBJ as my next project 

thoroughly recommend this book for anyone with a passing interest in JFK or the events of that day , the eye witness accounts without being butchered by Oliver Stone are all quite compelling 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â