Do you read?

Luke_W

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My daughter bought me the complete Sherlock Holmes for Christmas. Started it last night. 

ive got this one. they have been playing the old black and white ones on tcm over xmas and ive bloody loved it, ive always loved them.

sher.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

ive got this one. they have been playing the old black and white ones on tcm over xmas and ive bloody loved it, ive always loved them.

sher.jpg

thats the one, I finished the last James Patterson Alex Cross book yesterday so started it last night.

On 03/01/2016 at 19:41, V01 said:

You are aware he finished it as outlined in Jordan's notes?

I don't think you can use WoT as a judge of his work, he was basically writing fan fiction of the ending as imagined by Jordan. If you have read any of the Stormlight Archives, Mistborn series, Elantris or Warbreaker and not liked him then fair enough, You can't make an accurate judgement based on his work on WoT.

I have a dream where GRRM finishes Game of Thrones. 

There's a world of difference between his and Jordan's writing. He cant manage a decent battle scene in any of the books I've read of his so far.

His stories always have to have a neat little trick in them or oh remember that one little throw away line I wrote in a book or two ago. That is suddenly hugely important.

I felt a lot of the major scenes were badly handled and rushed (fair enough he had a lot to go through) but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Scenes that had been building for 3-4 books were over in a page and hardly memorable.

The characters felt very off to.

I dont know how he managed to get the gig as he wasnt a fairly well known writer back then but it made him completely. In fairness to the guy hes a writing machine churning out books and listening to his podcast he seems decent enough but he's just not for me. I find his writing style very bland and tries to hard to be overly clever for the sake of it.

Was it just his WoT stuff you've read or have you tried any of his "own" works? I didn't notice any of your criticisms when I read WoT but I'm guessing you liked it a lot more than me. 

My top 10 in case you're interested:

1. Gentlemen Bastards - Scott Lynch
  2. Stormlight Archives - Brandon Sanderson
  3. Dark Tower - Stephen King
  4. Farseer---->Fitz and the Fool - Robin Hobb
  5. Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
  6. Wheel of Time 
  7. Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
  8. Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
  9. Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
  10. Riftwar*  - Raymond E Feist

*only read first book which I loved so this will hit top 5 if the rest of the series holds up.

I read Elantris when I heard he was going to be writing wheel of time as I had genuinely never heard of him. 

In fairness Wheel of time was my favourite series for a long time. 

Some good series on your list there. I m a bit in two minds about Rothfuss. A wisemans fear was excellent but the follow up left a lot to be desired. No sign of the third yet as far as I am aware. 

I'd never heard of him before WoT either, I liked how he finished it and then moved onto his other books. Everything he wrote up to the first Stormlight Archives was preparation for writing it.

Complete agreement on Rothfuss, book 1 was amazing but book 2 missed what made the first one great. Book 3 is supposedly out this year but it's turning into a GRRM situation. 

On 1/6/2016 at 09:44, hogso said:

Dad-a-chum, dud-a-chee, what think thee, of Idris as he?

My first reaction was that it's an awful decision, everyone knows they should build a time machine to go back 20-30 years and bring back Clint Eastwood for the role.

But having spent some time thinking about it, it's a great call, it avoids all the comparisons we would have drawn against how we've always picture Roland so we can just enjoy the ride, They better not pull this shit with Jake or Eddie though.

Untold history of the United States by Oliver stone

I'm only on the first chapter, exploring the anti war sentiment in yankland during ww1, having read the opening about how for a country that declares themselves to be anti imperialism they sure do seem to have created one hell of an empire... Not on to the Hiroshima being military unsuccessful and regarded as a war crime or the yanks perpetuating the Cold War far more than the ruskies because it was so beneficial to them chapters yet...

If you have any inclination that the Americans over egg themselves and need knocking down a peg this might be the book for you!

It's a good read, good to get a different perspective on things and I always find it interesting how much of this I wasn't taught during a level history

1 hour ago, VillaForever1970 said:

Currently listening to The Power of The Dog and enjoying more than i thought i would, might give its sequel The Cartel a go after.

Anyone read them?

I can remember Clarkson recommended it and I took on holiday to read on the beach.

Excellent, ultra-violent Mexican drugs thing with one particularly shocking scene, which people who have read it always seem to mention. 

15 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I can remember Clarkson recommended it and I took on holiday to read on the beach.

Excellent, ultra-violent Mexican drugs thing with one particularly shocking scene, which people who have read it always seem to mention. 

Think i’ve just past that..

Spoiler

Kids and a bridge?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of people getting cut to ribbons in Mexico, I've just started 'Blood Meridian' by Cormack McCarthy. Holy shit is this book violent. :o

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Speaking of people getting cut to ribbons in Mexico, I've just started 'Blood Meridian' by Cormack McCarthy. Holy shit is this book violent. :o

Fantastic book, my favourite McCarthy. As you say, mega-violent. 

• Like 1

I've owned Blood Meridian for quite literally years and I simply can't read it. I despise McCarthy's style and I can't overcome it. I dragged myself through No Country and that is the best I could do.

Shame because everything I know of it should love it. But just cannot get past the style.

Is he the guy who wrote The Road?

After reading it I chose not to read any of his other stuff, people have tried telling he's good but I just can't see it.

Â