Do you read?

Luke_W

Currently reading Dan Browns latest book, Inferno. If you like Dan Brown I'd say it's decent. But it's got an interesting thought in it. And scarrying as well. And I don't think it's impossible.

Better or worse than Da Vinci Code or Angels & Demons?

Each to their own and all that but for me life is too short to read Dan Brown. Got through Da Vinci Code and thought it was laughingly bad.

Yep, very much each to their own. :) I loved Da Vinci code. And too short, well, I don't think any of his books has taken me more than a few days to read. :P But I can see why some don't like his books. He's hardly a very good writer, but I like his ideas of a story. I'm very interested in history and his books contains very much history, even though it's fiction. He has his own theories and I take them for what they are, theories.

Anyway, it's worse than DVC and A&D. He's actually gone worse with each Langdon book since DVC. I think he'll find it hard to top those. But I hope he keeps on trying as I still think they are decent enough and still can find a good story. But tbh, if you look more at the story than the background plot and the history in it I think it might be quite bad, actually. Especially the second half of the book. If I look at it with critical eyes.

Now I'm off to start reading The Twelve. Really looking forward to it. :)

John holmes, a life measured in inches, quite interesting if your into that sort of thing

Are you revealing something about your preferences?
haha no not at all, I just meant not everyone would probaly want to read about some bloke with a stupidly big wotever down below ha

John holmes, a life measured in inches, quite interesting if your into that sort of thing

haha no not at all, I just meant not everyone would probaly want to read about some bloke with a stupidly big wotever down below ha

Very interesting life old Mr.Holmes lead, in particularly the 'Wonderland Murders'.

that's the reason I got the book as I always fount him an interesting person, he definately had a very eventful life

Very interesting life old Mr.Holmes lead, in particularly the 'Wonderland Murders'.

that's the reason I got the book as I fount him to be a very interesting person, he definately had an interesting life and a very eventful one at that

• 4 weeks later...

Keep meaning to read the Inferno but there are too many bloody translations and they vary so wildly.

I guess you can't really translate it 'faithfully', English just doesn't allow for good old fashioned terza rima, so it comes down to what take on it you prefer, but bloody hell there is quite a lot of choice.

Keep meaning to read the Inferno but there are too many bloody translations and they vary so wildly.

I guess you can't really translate it 'faithfully', English just doesn't allow for good old fashioned terza rima, so it comes down to what take on it you prefer, but bloody hell there is quite a lot of choice.

That is correct, CED. James has done it in quatrains. It's had uniformly rave reviews, so I decided this is the one I'd go for.

Also, I like the guy, and this looks like it'll be the last thing he does before he goes the way of Iain Banks.  :(

not sure if i'm allowed to do this so if it needs to be removed then mods can do so

my dad has just released his first book on amazon, it's a non-fictional book exploring the idea that earthquakes and earth tremors are intrinsically linked with human riots and differing behaviour on a mass level. i think it's a pretty out there idea but it's a very well written and thoroughly researched book so if this sort of thing interests any of you then have a quick look at the link if you have time and see what you think :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alan-Watson/e/B00E46T98U/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

• Like 3

Lucky to see this thread on the first page again...

I'm taking a couple of weeks off and going to Maine at the end of August. I'd like to start and finish a book while I'm up there. I need some good suggestions for non-fiction books that aren't too wonky.

not sure if i'm allowed to do this so if it needs to be removed then mods can do so

Can't speak for the mods, obviously, but I can't see why you shouldn't give your old man's book a plug!

Sounds like an interesting read, Oliver.

I guess you're not Annabel. :)

p.s. On my reading habits, I had an hour or two spare the other week and reread Zadig.

p.p.s. It was a translation - ref. discussions below. I only ever read Candide in the french (Obviously a much later edition of Voltaire's original so that may actually be as far from that original as a translation?).

Edited by snowychap

Surely the form is simply the method by which the message is conveyed?

As soon as it's translated out of the original, the linguistic cleverness becomes that of the translator rather than the author.

If the translations of the Inferno vary so wildly (I can't comment as I've only ever read the one and that was ages ago and I have sod all idea whose it was) then I'd suggest reading a couple of translations and drawing your own picture from the merging of each or all of those shadows.

Lucky to see this thread on the first page again...

I'm taking a couple of weeks off and going to Maine at the end of August. I'd like to start and finish a book while I'm up there. I need some good suggestions for non-fiction books that aren't too wonky.

Maine? Surely you have to read a King?

my dad has just released his first book on amazon, it's a non-fictional book exploring the idea that earthquakes and earth tremors are intrinsically linked with human riots and differing behaviour on a mass level. i think it's a pretty out there idea but it's a very well written and thoroughly researched book so if this sort of thing interests any of you then have a quick look at the link if you have time and see what you think :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alan-Watson/e/B00E46T98U/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

Does your dad write about the moon in his book? I reckon the moon has a lot to answer for.

Â