Do you read?

Luke_W

By the way, I'm looking for a new author in the crime genre. I've read most books by Pelecanos, Block, Rankin and Ellroy. Does anyone know of any other good ones out there that may be worth a go? I quite like it when there is a character I can stick with throughout a set of books if possible.

try Daniel Woodrell (of WInter's Bone fame). the Bayou trilogy is a top read.

Finally finished Homage to Catalonia. The parts about Orwell fighting are fascinating. The chapters about Anarchists/Communists/Fascists I found a bit meh.

Now starting some Kafka.

is Philip Roth worth reading? i keep meaning to get some of his work but i haven't got round to it.
I think his stuff varies wildly. 'American Pastoral' is pretty damn good though.

Just finished 'Return of the Dancing Master' by Henning Mankell (author of the Kurt Wallander series)

Wallander isnt in it but the character Stefan Lindman is who is in the Wallander series, so i guess it is a kind of a spin off

If your a fan of Scandinavian crime fiction its a must read

By the way, I'm looking for a new author in the crime genre. I've read most books by Pelecanos, Block, Rankin and Ellroy. Does anyone know of any other good ones out there that may be worth a go? I quite like it when there is a character I can stick with throughout a set of books if possible.

I've been reading the Jo Nesbo books (centred around detective Harry Hole) and finding them a good read, also quite a few of them now so will keep you going for a while.

Also you could try Stephen Leather and the Dan Shepherd series about an ex SAS now doing undercover work for the police.

Obviously both from the start

Don't know if he's been discussed on this thread, but just started reading Lights Out In Wonderland by DBC Pierre.

The first 5 pages are so good you wonder if there was ever such a writer. Now for page 6 :)

This is a magnificent book and the last part is incredible.

I also has a great line in it. When they are sitting with the Japanese in the restaurant. "Boned your Mum last week...dry as a brick".

Don't know if he's been discussed on this thread, but just started reading Lights Out In Wonderland by DBC Pierre.

The first 5 pages are so good you wonder if there was ever such a writer. Now for page 6 :)

This is a magnificent book and the last part is incredible.

I also has a great line in it. When they are sitting with the Japanese in the restaurant. "Boned your Mum last week...dry as a brick".

:)

Yep, up to page 113 (had a few interruptions, also it's pretty intense, so have read it in installments). It's been 100% brilliant so far, like a more insightful Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I've been reading the Jo Nesbo books (centred around detective Harry Hole) and finding them a good read, also quite a few of them now so will keep you going for a while.

Also you could try Stephen Leather and the Dan Shepherd series about an ex SAS now doing undercover work for the police.

Obviously both from the start

Have you tried books by Lorenzo Carcatera. He wrote sleepers (brad pitt film) but has a number of other italian/american crime thrillers. My favourite all time author.

Well an American bloke at work was going on about Lee Child.

I thought the name sounded familiar, and after extensive research* I found that he's a Villa fan. So why not cheer him up by buying his books?!

(I believe the books match your requirements as well. No idea if good, though - This Yank has strange tastes - guns, worshipping god, etc. :))

*Wikipedia, top of the page.

Just finished "Life" by Keef Richards....a rollicking good time of a book. And very well written, actually. Deserving of all the praise it's gotten. He comes of as a genuine guy, and by the books end, you almost feel like you're one of his friends, as corny as that sounds.

I came away feeling like for Keith, it's always been less about fame and fortune and more about friends and family. And the music, of course.

Well worth a read, especially if you grew up a Stones fan or play an instrument. He goes into great detail about his craft, it's fascinating stuff.

Some hair raising stories as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone back to Perdido Street Station. I started reading it about a year ago and got about 600 pages through when it became a slog, it got too weird and convoluted and felt like it could have done with a good bit of editing, so gave up on it and read some other bits and bobs.

Determined to finish it. Apparently Mievilles other work is better so might give them ago later on.

Anyone reading/read Bank's new one, Stonemouth? I'll definitely be picking that up, just wondering if he's done the Crow Road again.

Â