PlayStation 5

hogso

I think it's more the TV upgrade that I need at the same time that's going to piss me off 

Sony are late with their info so was expecting a slip in the launch date

Same with the xbox the hardware stuff does little for me, it's what they have penciled in for their usual Q1 big game slot in 2021, horizon 2 for example would make me a very happy boy, otherwise it will be a PS5 with cyberpunk 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

So the specs have been revealed, seems it's going to be super fast with their SSD design.! But only 10.2tf max in terms of power, whereas the Xbox has 12.1.tf.

What the difference will look like in the real world, probably not much tbh. Will be interesting to see how Devs use the Ps5's SSD tech though!

The issue both PS5 and Series X will face is that their advantages won't mean much in multi-platform games which make up 98% of all games in a given generation.

For instance lets say that hypothetically the 5.5GB/s SSD in the PS5 allows seamless loading of worlds 100x larger, but the Series X SSD at 2.4GB/s only allows worlds 50x larger then the baseline is 50x and all of that additional performance is wasted.

Now we will get to enjoy this fancy SSD in exclusives, but I do think that Sony went all in on the SSD because they believed that Microsoft would do the same.

The unfortunate side of Sony going all in on the SSD is that the PS5 ships with an 825GB SSD and expanding that won't be cheap. A 1TB Corsair M.2 drive at 5GB/s (which won't even work in PS5, its too slow) is £237 right now. They don't even sell 5.5GB/s drives that PS5 could use currently and when they do they won't be cheap. So while Microsoft seem less ambitious with a 2.4GB/s SSD, their little proprietary SSD cartridges will be relatively cheap by comparison. 

These are things that customers will need to be aware of as cost of ownership for PS5 could be absurdly high. I'm excited for Series X and PS5, but some of Sony's decisions are a cause for concern until they clarify things. 

• Like 1

The whole 3D sound profile thing they are doing seems gimmicky af. though, will wait til I hear it. Trying to get shitty TV speakers and soundbars to feel immersive is just a big waste of time, imo. 

• Like 1

If you've got equipment that can handle surround sound properly,  I think it'll definitely be worth it.   We went from a 5.1 surround sound system to an Atmos soundbar with rear speakers and sub and it's a huge improvement when you compare standard surround to Atmos imo. 

• 3 weeks later...

It looks more cofirtable than the PS4 controller imo, alway hurts my hands to use that for longer than an hour. Much prefer the shape of the new one. The colour scheme is rank tho. Would be better all in black. 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

It looks more cofirtable than the PS4 controller imo, alway hurts my hands to use that for longer than an hour. Much prefer the shape of the new one. The colour scheme is rank tho. Would be better all in black. 

I’ve seen similar pictures of a black one to be fair. 

FWIW I think it’s horrible. But every time there’s a new PlayStation they seem to have these pictures of the controller looking all futuristic and then when it comes out it’s pretty much the same as it’s always been (which is a good thing imo)

Worst thing about the PlayStation controller is the position of the left thumb stick. It’s too low down and always has been. 

This doesn’t seem to address it at all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

every time there’s a new PlayStation they seem to have these pictures of the controller looking all futuristic and then when it comes out it’s pretty much the same as it’s always been (which is a good thing imo)

Nothing beats the boomerang

BoaW8FP.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Worst thing about the PlayStation controller is the position of the left thumb stick. It’s too low down and always has been. 

This doesn’t seem to address it at all. 

That's a change Sony likely won't ever do. This controller is the closest Sony have gotten to accepting that the Xbox controller design was the better design, but I don't see Sony ever conceding the stick placement battle. 

18 minutes ago, Daweii said:

That's a change Sony likely won't ever do. This controller is the closest Sony have gotten to accepting that the Xbox controller design was the better design, but I don't see Sony ever conceding the stick placement battle. 

Stupid really. Why would it matter? It would give them a better controller. 

Makes no sense to have the D Pad in prime position when it rarely plays a major part, if any, in any games. 

It's become part of the PlayStation's identity, they aren't going to change it.

Just be glad after nearly 25 years they've finally moved on from the DualShock design.

Hopefully they use the space they've gained to put bigger batteries in this time.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Stupid really. Why would it matter? It would give them a better controller. 

Makes no sense to have the D Pad in prime position when it rarely plays a major part, if any, in any games. 

I agree. I would love for Sony to change it.

That said as @Chindie stated it's identifiable and iconic which means regardless of overall comfort they'll stick with what they have. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this console isn't going to be cheap based on a Bloomberg report from Japan.

Sony are aiming to have 6 million units available at launch (Worldwide) with a price point between $500-$550.

Â