PlayStation 5

hogso

Just over a year away - Ray tracing, SSD, haptic feedback in the controller, optic disks with 100GB capacity is the native physical platform it seems, and the drive will support 4k blu ray (is the official term for this 'Ultra 4K HD Blu Ray'? Think that's what I've seen plastered on covers in stores). 

I'll be a late-ish adopter to this. 6-9 months down the line, I would imagine.

There's more info on the wired.com link in the above tweet. 

I'll likely be getting both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Scarlett on their respective launches. 

This generation will be interesting as both consoles will by and large be the same under the hood. Now in theory this plays into Sony's hands as Microsoft stick their exclusives on PC, but earlier this month Sony talked about doing the same. So next-gen is going to be interesting depending what each company does. 

i'll get it at launch I think, especially if they push that samurai game back to a launch title

xbox i'll sit out until they have some better exclusives

both need a new wave of games to be revealed, FF7, the last of us and cyberpunk will no doubt end up on it but i'll have done them by then (horizon 2 would be my 1st guess and definitely something id buy a console for)

12 hours ago, Daweii said:

but earlier this month Sony talked about doing the same. So next-gen is going to be interesting depending what each company does. 

If this happens, I'll be delighted to never feel the urge to buy a console again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Probably still won't be backwards compatible.

I'd not be surprised to see it compatible with PS4 titles, with older stuff being covered similar to as it is currently - PS Now.

15 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

with the last 2 years worth of 1st party exclusives getting rereleases 🤔

the difference is PS4 benefitted from rereleases thanks to the 360 being competitive vs the ps3 last generation, not sure what the benefit will be this time around though, uncharted / spiderman / god of war / horizon are all 7 digit figures for sales, last of us 2 will be similar

GT5 was the only PS3 game to sell over 10m copies, last of us was 7, uncharted series 6-7m (I think uncharted 4 on the ps4 has outsold all 3 of the previous games on PS3 put together)

the last of us on PS4 has outsold the original by 3m and I think is was a PSN+ giveaway one month too, a big chunk of that will be xbox owners switching over

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

It's 100% backwards compatible with PlayStation 4 at the very least.

Sony also patented a tech in 2018 that may make PS3, PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility also viable, but it's unknown if that tech winds up in PlayStation 5.

The latest I saw on it (2 days ago from a translated Famitsu article which I'll link below) was that they're working hard on backwards compatibility, but the suggestion being it might not be possible for 100% of games. How much of the catalogue going all the way back to ps1 that my be backwards compatible via disc is a complete unknown, but hopefully at least ps4 digital purchases will be good to go. 7

This guy is a font of knowledge for info from the Japanese press by the way, and requires additional props for the dothack related username! 

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether I'll get the PS5 or the new Xbox. Traditionally I'm a PS man, but I prefer the Xbox controller, as well as the UI.

I didn't really enjoy my PS4 and then it had a hard drive corruption, whereas my XB1 has had a lot of game time.

Neither has had as much as my Switch though.

I've had my PS4 since Dec 2014 and have bought 10 games for it. I seem to use it more as a Blu Ray player and to watch Netflix (although the latter less so with Sky Q). I kind of 'want' a PS5 but it will be a similar story in terms of the number of games I'd buy so actually not worth it. Far more into retro gaming.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

out of the 38 1st party exclusives on PS4 I've played 23 of them, 2 of them I have in my PSN+ collection and just not got round to playing, 2 are remasters of games id previously played and 1 of them was released last week and 3 or 4 of them are MLB which doesn't interest me, id say Detroit and Knack are the only 2 "big" exclusives I haven't played

game wise I think the PS4 has been a huge success, the volume of quality exclusives has been incredible, at least 2 per calendar, year still got death stranding and the last of us 2 to come in the next 6 months

All I want from next-gen is for it to be the norm that all multiplatform games can crossplay. It's a good step in that direction with the new CoD having crossplay, but surely we're at a stage now where we shouldn't be limiting who can play with who just because of the hardware they are playing on? 

44 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

All I want from next-gen is for it to be the norm that all multiplatform games can crossplay. It's a good step in that direction with the new CoD having crossplay, but surely we're at a stage now where we shouldn't be limiting who can play with who just because of the hardware they are playing on? 

That'll likely happen. Sony had cross-play in beta while they worked out any kinks, but it left beta a week or so ago and with that the floodgates are now open. At this point if a game doesn't ship with cross-play it's because the developer/publisher didn't want it. As it stands Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are all on board with it and next-gen will likely be one big cross-play orgy. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

So the specs have been revealed, seems it's going to be super fast with their SSD design.! But only 10.2tf max in terms of power, whereas the Xbox has 12.1.tf.

What the difference will look like in the real world, probably not much tbh. Will be interesting to see how Devs use the Ps5's SSD tech though!

I have a feeling both Ps5 and XSX will be priced at $499

Edited by PieFacE

Â