PlayStation 5

hogso

4 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I read a report on gameindustry.biz in early 2019 I think it was that stated 80% of the UK's video game market was now digital. Now that stat is misleading as a lot of it is digital sales of indie games, microtransactions and DLC. Only about 25% of that 80% was AAA games so it's not all bad news for physical, but these percentages are only going to grow from here on out. 

I also saw the same universal praise for the digital edition and I am curious to see how this all plays out going forward. I do think your thought on EA giving away FUT is something that will happen. This option of a digital console isn't just a sign that stats are in digital's favour, it's also a sign that enough people have some form of Internet that digital is also thriving. I do expect to see more games go down the free to play route because that's where the money is.

Source

I found the article. After writing my reply I doubted myself and had to look up the article itself to make sure I wasn't just making it all up. 

and mobile?

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

and mobile?

I believe mobile is tracked separately, but I could be wrong. The article didn't mention mobile, Android or iOS once so I can only assume that this stat is localised to the console market.

Mobile is digital only, PC is digital only. Console gaming is the only platform left that can even have a digital vs physical discussion as far as I'm aware. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dubbs said:

Just read that the price for the physical version is £449 and £349 for digital.  Seems fair to me,  but the cost of the headset is £129!  That's just a bit silly imo.

The camera is £55 and the charging dock is £25.  Expected to release 20th November.   If I can find the article I'll link it.

If true that's pretty huge. The hardware for £349 is kinda amazing. 

It's widely reported that the consoles costs about $450 to make. And blue-ray drives cost Sony about $15 or something. £100 price drop for something thats so cheap for them to obtain sound unrealistic given how expensive the SSD's they use are. Would definitely buy a digital version at £350.

I was expecting both PS5 and XSX to come in at £499. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

TBF I'm only repeating what I've read and we've already seen many different prices for the consoles so I guess we'll have to wait for official news.

They've compared spiderman MM to uncharted lost legacy so a glorified expansion

not a criticism - LL was great - but some management of expectations, that said if its £30 - 40 for 10 - 15 hours that's good enough for me 

Digital only is a way to ensure that the cost of gaming goes up for everyone. Goodbye to the second hand market, goodbye to sharing games with friends. How many people subsidise their next purchase with the sale of an old game or a part exchange. I played last of us when I swapped it for black flag, can't do that with digital.

Simple answer is that I will play less games and I will be less experimental with the games I choose because of it or I'll stumble upon less great games. I can totally get why Sony like the idea, as a consumer I think it sucks.

• Like 1

Also if free to play games are the future then it will be the end of my gaming life. Free to play games are not designed for great gameplay, or wonderful narrative, or even decent mechanics, they are designed to be addictive and to drive that compulsive behaviour into the games market place.

I'm not saying that f2p games don't or can't have great gameplay etc, but that if they are included they are a biproduct of the main driving imperative £££. 

I think that experimental gaming still exists via the format of the subscription services

PS Now is just about ok but its too slow to get the exclusives on there because lets face it they sell by the bucket load, EA access for me failed because a number of their games such as the new star wars and battlefield ended up being disappointing making it worthless, game pass is incredible value - sony need to find a balance between giving everything away and the making the service better, then the viability of a digital console increases for me

as much as I say i wouldn't get the PS5 digital only in 1- 2 years time I would go digital only on the xbox as a 2nd console and just get game pass on it 

as if by magic...sony announced that they will giving PS Now more indie support and adding 1 game per month to the service starting with hello neighbour this month

they're also doing a PS4/5 indie game reveal thing today and showing 9 new games throughout, first one was FIST

• Like 2

The NBA 2K21 base edition will cost £64.99 on PS5/Series X.

2K/Take-Two are the first publisher to come forward and state exactly what their price point will be in the next-gen. 

They won't be the only ones targeting this price point either;

Other game publishers are considering raising the price of games for PS5 and Xbox Series X, says games research firm IDG Consulting.

It follows the news that NBA 2K21 will be priced at $69.99 on the next consoles, $10 more expensive than it is on the current devices.

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, IDG President and CEO Yoshio Osaki says that game pricing has remained flat since 2005, whereas TV and movie pricing has increased significantly.

"The last time that next-gen launch software pricing went up was in 2005 and 2006, when it went from $49.99 to $59.99 at the start of the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation," he says.

"During that time, the costs and prices in other affiliated verticals have gone up."

Osaki says that next-gen console game production costs have increased by 200% to 300%, depending on the IP, studio and genre, but the prices have remained at $59.99. Meanwhile, cinema ticket prices have risen 39%, Netflix subscription costs have gone up 100%, and Cable TV packages have risen by 105%.

Source

Other publishers are considering a price raise, but when they say "considering" it's likely set in stone at this point that EA, Activision, UbiSoft and Bethesda will all be following suit. Take-Two wouldn't make this decision in a bubble, if they were the only ones in favour of raising the price then they wouldn't have gone ahead with it. 

I think prices have actually stayed slightly below inflation 

1995 I'm sure I was paying £30 for a PS1 game new, that's £58 now

2000 for a PS2 game was £40 that's £67

2007 for PS3 was £50 (held at £40 in the supermarkets) that's now £70

2013 for PS4 was £60 (held at £50 in the supermarkets) that's now £70

Would expect game and amazon to sell the new games at £65 with then tescos reducing it to £60 maybe even £55

And that's not that bad, I import my games with shop to because the postage is still cheaper, the last of us 2 is £62 here

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think prices have actually stayed slightly below inflation 

1995 I'm sure I was paying £30 for a PS1 game new, that's £58 now

2000 for a PS2 game was £40 that's £67

2007 for PS3 was £50 (held at £40 in the supermarkets) that's now £70

2013 for PS4 was £60 (held at £50 in the supermarkets) that's now £70

Would expect game and amazon to sell the new games at £65 with then tescos reducing it to £60 maybe even £55

And that's not that bad, I import my games with shop to because the postage is still cheaper, the last of us 2 is £62 here

I was paying £50 for games on the N64 I'm certain

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was paying £50 for games on the N64 I'm certain

Yeah N64 was and it was a big thing at the time and the reason I didn't get one, the cartridges were more expensive than CDs meaning N64 games were near double the cost of PS1 games 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yeah N64 was and it was a big thing at the time and the reason I didn't get one, the cartridges were more expensive than CDs meaning N64 games were near double the cost of PS1 games 

Yeah. Still an example of how games haven't really gone up that much

I have a copy of WWF Raw on the mega drive that I bought second hand, however it still has its original price sticker of £59.99 on it!  Must have been released around 1993.

Infamously Turok Dinosaur Hunter was released at £70 at launch on the N64. 

There was a discussion of game prices and costs on this week's TCGS podcast. They had some similar thoughts to my own although they were a little more focused on the AAA cost thing. It is true that games have generally not followed inflation in prices, however there's nuance to that. Games today are monetised to ****, particularly for major multiplatform releases. Middleware is everywhere, increasing productivity and efficiency. And the market is bigger.

Going to a £65 retail price is absurd.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I have a copy of WWF Raw on the mega drive that I bought second hand, however it still has its original price sticker of £59.99 on it!  Must have been released around 1993.

Megadrive/SNES era games as far as I'm aware didn't have standardised pricing. Some games were £30 while others cost way more than that. 

When the NBA 2K21 pricing news came out I did see some images of old Toys 'R Us adverts in the US on Twitter showing Zelda: A Link to the Past for $70 on the SNES.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Going to a £65 retail price is absurd.

It's not really because they know people will pay it. What's absurd is that people don't wait for non multiplayer games to drop in price before buying them. When kojima releases his latest walking simulator you dont need to play it on day 1. It'll still be just as boring two or three months later. 

53 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's not really because they know people will pay it. What's absurd is that people don't wait for non multiplayer games to drop in price before buying them. When kojima releases his latest walking simulator you dont need to play it on day 1. It'll still be just as boring two or three months later. 

That's where I think Sony have done really well with the PS4, they've nailed the end of Q1 release slot where there is normally a quiet period and then the end of Q3 slot before the heavy hitter annual titles come out

If you can release God of War in April and then spiderman in September then you're laughing

Take the last of us 2 right now, I know it's slipped but what's it competiting with? There's nothing out right now, if anything the slippage has pushed it in to ghosts window which was also released in a quiet period

I play their AAA titles at launch because I have nothing else on my play list, it's perfect timing 

Â