Cameron Archer

Zatman

I think it’s fair to read into last night’s game that Archer is quite some way off Unai’s first team plans - only getting a 10 min run out when our only senior striker has played most games does not bode well for the lad. Ollie has played a lot of minutes in preseason and that has nothing to do with fitness as we know he’s prob the fittest player in the squad. 
It does look as though Unai hasn’t seen enough in Cam so far. 
I’m even more certain that a new striker will be coming in and Cam will be leaving either on loan or even permanently. 
I would even speculate that Duran, once fit, is ahead of Cam in the pecking order….

5 hours ago, eholm said:

I think it’s fair to read into last night’s game that Archer is quite some way off Unai’s first team plans - only getting a 10 min run out when our only senior striker has played most games does not bode well for the lad. Ollie has played a lot of minutes in preseason and that has nothing to do with fitness as we know he’s prob the fittest player in the squad. 
I’m even more certain that a new striker will be coming in and Cam will be leaving either on loan or even permanently. 
I would even speculate that Duran, once fit, is ahead of Cam in the pecking order….

He need to adapt his game more

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sell him. It's pure FFP profit.

In terms of current market value it would be a good time to sell him now. Reading between the lines re minutes and performances during pre season, if we do sign a new striker (hopefully), I think he may well be sold, imo. If Unai believes he can deputise in the absence of OW then we won’t bring another striker in…..The next 25 days will tell us all we need to know about Cam’s long term future at the club. 

• Like 1

I think he’ll stay. Duran doesn’t seem fit and we have no other CF options. 

I don’t expect a big name coming in at striker. Archer needs to be given chances and to see if he can develop his game. 

Unai has worked wonders with the rest of the squad. He can do the same with Archer if he’s willing. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, eholm said:

I wouldn't read too much into that. Don't forget his current level of match fitness is a lot better than most of the squad's after he had minutes with the U21s, so he doesn't need as many minutes. Watkins is undoubted no1 so hardly surprising he played so many minutes in our last game before the season.

10 hours ago, eholm said:

But if we sold or loaned him and then bought a new striker we’d be over the squad limits for non-homegrown players for Europe, so it would require some careful wheeling and dealing in the squad and/or potentially leaving another area light. If one striker leaves it would probably be Duran for that reason, unless we got rid of both to make way for 1 better striker which could happen I guess but starts to getting more complicated than just giving Archer a go in the cups 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

But if we sold or loaned him and then bought a new striker we’d be over the squad limits for non-homegrown players for Europe

Hadn’t considered this point at all… I guess that’s why Brennan Johnson’s name is being bandied about over say Pino, Baena or Veiga etc. Signing Matej Kovar to replace Olsen opens up a slot… Back to Archer I cannot see us actively looking to sell but would if a suitable offer came in. 

I think his preseason with the team has been a little underwhelming. He's an excellent championship striker but with quicker more athletic CB's in the PL I think he may well struggle to get game time. Especially if Diaby can play up top with Buendia, Coutinho etc in behind him. If Watkins isn't available that is.

Really like him to come good for us but not sure he's going to get anywhere near enough minutes to find his feet at this level with us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I wouldn't read too much into that. Don't forget his current level of match fitness is a lot better than most of the squad's after he had minutes with the U21s, so he doesn't need as many minutes. Watkins is undoubted no1 so hardly surprising he played so many minutes in our last game before the season.

He barely played for the u21s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Back to Archer I cannot see us actively looking to sell but would if a suitable offer came in. 

Absolutely…..and if we do sign another striker then I feel there would be an air of inevitability about that. 

19 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Really like him to come good for us but not sure he's going to get anywhere near enough minutes to find his feet at this level with us. 

Agree….and I think that’s the concern. As I’ve mentioned already, his immediate and probably long term future will be decided in the next 25 days. I imagine we are looking to strengthen up front but IF we can’t then he will stay in the squad. 

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He'll be given time to force his way into the teams plans. If he needs game time come January another loan 

That’s exactly what happened last season though and many said Gerrard wasted 6 months of his career. 

46 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

That’s exactly what happened last season though and many said Gerrard wasted 6 months of his career. 

Gerrard is a poor coach and we were in a slump from our first game last season. No opportunity to give Cam time in games.

ECL and EFL Cup are good opportunities. Plus time off the bench in the Prem. Look if he takes his chance then great. If he doesn't he needs to move on for his career.

Edited by CVByrne

Â