Cameron Archer

Zatman

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Tammy only scored 8 in 39 games at Swansea when he was 20.....Ollie was only scoring 10-12 in his same age years at Brentford.

Its hard to just tie down one season to numbers.

That was Premier League, he scored 20+ in both seasons in championship.

Ollie was a winger.

5 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

That was in the Prem I think. He scored 25 goals in the Championship for Bristol City in the season before. 

oh yeah.....but he scored 26 for us too, but a bit older by then.

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That was Premier League, he scored 20+ in both seasons in championship.

Ollie was a winger.

ok

My point is 20 is a stretch imo.....nice, but a stretch.

Even Vardy only scored 21 goals in 70 games for Leicester in the championship and he was 25.

I think he is a natural, we don't need the stamp of Runnymede.....We just need to let him flourish.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

ok

My point is 20 is a stretch imo.....nice, but a stretch.

Even Vardy only scored 21 goals in 70 games for Leicester in the championship and he was 25.

I think he is a natural, we don't need the stamp of Runnymede.....We just need to let him flourish.

Maybe, but Solanke scored 29 last season and many on here think he’s shit. Even Weimann scored 22. It should be a target for him if he spends a season in that league. 

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe, but Solanke scored 29 last season and many on here think he’s shit. Even Weimann scored 22. It should be a target for him if he spends a season in that league. 

Fair do's

I always liked Weimann, felt he had an effervescence about his game.....his numbers don't surprise me.

but as you allude to.....The Prem is a different ball game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

That was in the Prem I think. He scored 25 goals in the Championship for Bristol City in the season before. 

Yeah he was very poor in his first Premier League spell with Swansea, don't think he even got as many as 8 - not in the league anyway. Shows why some caution is needed with young Archer, hopefully he takes this preseason by storm but if not a full season in the championship is not the worst idea especially if we had the option of a January recall if needed

If we loaned him out at the end of August until January he'd only miss 13 of Villa's premier League games but get 19 games in the Championship. It might be an option to send him out to get more game time if we've got Watkins and Ings fit and we're seeing good things from Bailey. 

The reverse is also true, we could keep him around for the cups and then potentially loan him out at the end of January to finish the season with regular football after a pre season and the winter mini pre season with the Villa coaches

On 10/06/2022 at 14:33, MrBlack said:

8 goal contributions (7g, 1a) in 18 games worth of minutes, for a team that finished in the bottom half of the championship.

5 of his 7 goals came in games Preston won by one goal.

I think he deserves a chance with us next season. 

@TRO, see above for the type of key goals he scored last season. Of the 5 goals I referenced, 3 were in 1-0 victories. 

On 25/06/2022 at 12:59, TRO said:

There is no doubt in my mind, good strikers score in a regular, incremental pattern.....they all can have barren spells, but for too long is not good.....The pattern is key for me, the really good ones always seem to get a goal when you need one,too......I know it sounds mad, but if you are always the guy who scores the 4th goal, its not really a measure of your preditory instincts, if you get my drift.

Peter Withe, Andy Gray could wins games, with their goals, so could Brian Little and Gary Shaw.....Any goal is a good goal, but them that can win games with them are a precious commodity.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MrBlack said:

@TRO, see above for the type of key goals he scored last season. Of the 5 goals I referenced, 3 were in 1-0 victories. 

precisely the point I was making......I think he will be the real deal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Including in their Derby win over blackpool

Indeed. I alluded to it before, but for a team that finished just in the bottom half, he was crucial for them. The difference between finishing 13th and 19th (or 1 place above SHA)

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

“Im taking your place” 🙃 

I think he’s the real deal and whether on loan or in our squad think he will score goals this season, but the picture there shows the difference in strength etc between a teenager and players who have spent multiple years training full time - even players like Ings and Watkins who aren’t particularly built. No wonder players more and more seem to take to 22/23 to break through now when professionals are such units.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I think he’s the real deal and whether on loan or in our squad think he will score goals this season, but the picture there shows the difference in strength etc between a teenager and players who have spent multiple years training full time - even players like Ings and Watkins who aren’t particularly built. No wonder players more and more seem to take to 22/23 to break through now when professionals are such units.

You have a point but the biggest physical difference between those three is that Archer is quite a lot shorter, and that will hardly change as he’s 20 now. He’ll join the ranks of short, deadly strikers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

You have a point but the biggest physical difference between those three is that Archer is quite a lot shorter, and that will hardly change as he’s 20 now. He’ll join the ranks of short, deadly strikers.

Totally right. He probably will stay as he is now in terms of build as he has had his growth spurt over the last 18 months. He was tiny before. Now he is probably 5'8 . 

22 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Totally right. He probably will stay as he is now in terms of build as he has had his growth spurt over the last 18 months. He was tiny before. Now he is probably 5'8 . 

Oh yeah I’m not saying he’ll grow taller. But in a couple of years of full-time training he will, for example, have leg muscles like Ollie or Ings. Seeing them side by side in that pic is a good reminder of how the vast majority of kids don’t just have that at his age.

• Like 1

Having seen Watkins close up in the flesh, and been shocked how slim and slight he looked, Archer must be a very lightweight forward. He will definitely add muscle mass, but does look like he's going to need another year of development to get to even Watkins level of build.

Ings looks a complete beast next to them both.

That said, his adept finishing and ability to get into goal scoring positions doesn't care about his size, and I wouldn't be upset to see him come off the bench for the last 10 minutes of a game with us needing a goal.

• Like 1

Size means nothing unless you keep banging in high ball after high ball. Of course, it depends on the intelligence and composure of players around you to keep supplying you the correct way.

Messi and Aguero are the first names that come to mind that weren’t affected by being vertically challenged! Even going back to what is now the commentating genius that is Michael Owen. 

Awareness, positional sense and just a general footballing intelligence on the pitch will have as much, if not more of an impact than size. 

• Like 1

Â