Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

City were pretty bad and Villa just weren't ruthless enough in attack, but they were hanging on a bit by the end so a good point. Lot of bad decisions towards the end in terms of City not getting a few corner decisions at either end and Lehmann being well onside when played in

4 points from City after being routinely battered by them before is real progress, looks like Ward deserved that new contract

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I turned on the tv about 10 minutes into the game and it took a minute to work out which side we were. 

Ah yeah, I can understand, at first look it is a bit confusing and strange, with City having stolen our claret and blue this season! :s I don't remember ever seeing Man City in a claret and blue kit before. 

Something that has been noted for the majority for the season is that we’re not filling our quota of substitutes?  You regularly see us only having four or five subs available, with one being a keeper.

I realise the ladies squad is a bit thin on numbers (probably due to injuries) but surely we could fill a bench, even if we had to promote a couple from the U21’s?

Having said that, Carla Ward is doing a magnificent job with the squad/team and is being clearly backed in what she is trying to do.  Long may it continue, as it’s to great to see us being competitive across all our teams.

Mary McAteer with another goal for Coventry United, wondered if we might give her a game against Fylde next weekend, but see Coventry playing at the same time so probably not. I think Freya Gregory and Evie Rabjohn injured but if recovered good chance they might get a game, the likes of Georgia Mullett, Megan Shaw, and Alice Keitley could all be involved as well as U21s that have made our bench recently.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, useless said:

Mary McAteer with another goal for Coventry United,

They won 3-2, as well as her goal, McAteer also assisted their second, good performance from her, and big result for them as a team as before today they'd lost all eleven of their previous league games this season.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, robby b said:

Ah yeah, I can understand, at first look it is a bit confusing and strange, with City having stolen our claret and blue this season! :s I don't remember ever seeing Man City in a claret and blue kit before. 

Its their "period safe" colours .

On 22/01/2023 at 14:13, useless said:

Mary McAteer with another goal for Coventry United, wondered if we might give her a game against Fylde next weekend, but see Coventry playing at the same time so probably not. I think Freya Gregory and Evie Rabjohn injured but if recovered good chance they might get a game, the likes of Georgia Mullett, Megan Shaw, and Alice Keitley could all be involved as well as U21s that have made our bench recently.

Do you think it will be a younger/second team against Fylde or closer to full strength?

I don't know, I think there's a chance there will be some rotation, as we also have a game this Thursday in the Conti-Cup Quarter-Final away to Arsenal, but a lot of first team squad, about eight players are either long-term injured, or have recently been injured, so unless we play mostly U21s then I imagine that at least some of the regulars will have to play.

Only guessing here, but I would have thought that good chance that Gielknik might get a start, Lehmann too after dropping to the bench after recent signings, then maybe Olivia McLoughlin, and possibly Freya Gregory, and Evie Rabjohn if available, maybe a few U21s might get be involved, but not sure how many or if they'd start of come off the bench.

It's hard to predict, gap between us and Fylde is big our U21s have beat teams in their league, so in theory we could play a very young team and have a very good chance, but I'm sure we will want to make sure, so team won't be too weak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arsenal difficult enough, but looks like Rachel Corsie will be our only central defender available, as Turner, Patten, and Sargeant all out, there's Evie Rabjohn as well, but she was injured as of last game, even if fit again, she's just seventeen, hasn't even made her full debut yet, and going to be lacking match fitness, not sure what they're going to do, might be a case of McLoughlin having to play in defence, Staniforth is also out cup tied.

Â