Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Just now, TRO said:

How my feelings towards this player have changed, is dramatic.

My Paul Scholes...thats how I see him.

He must be as close to " He's one of our own" as any overseas player can be.....for me, he is "One of our own" after getting him from a young age.

He has embraced the club and its culture, he has worked on his game to overwhelming proportions, and his influence on our team is far reaching.

They some players are irreplaceable....Dougie is slowly, slipping in to that Category, if not already there.

IMO his improvement has been Phenomenal and a huge part of the teams progress under UE.

He has to be considered for the Brazil squad, if justice is done.

• Like 2

On 01/10/2023 at 19:23, MWARLEY2 said:

Just proves that the ratings are based on something else other than ability  They don't even know he is not a CDM 

He's a No 8 for me.

He just filled in at No 6 to do a job for the club, when we hadn't got one.....but he has abilities/attributes relating to that role anyway.

approaching the complete midfielder at present....If not one already.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

I wouldn’t swap Dougie for Jack.  

Dougie imo is so key for us and the way we play and how good he is. They are different positions but just as a hypothetical discussion, I’m sticking with Dougie even if Jack is phenomenal player, so is Dougie a cracking player.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Dougie imo is so key for us and the way we play and how good he is. They are different positions but just as a hypothetical discussion, I’m sticking with Dougie even if Jack is phenomenal player, so is Dougie a cracking player.

I wouldn't either. Dougie is also a really likeable, humble person, Jack is too much all about the glitz and glam lifestyle for me.

• Like 2

I just cannot for the life of me understand why they don't call him up for Brazil. The last manager Tite didn't, and this new interim manager also ignores him. I feel that's even more exasperating than Southgate not calling up our English players, because Luiz is for me our most important and consistent player along with Martinez and tailor-made for international football with his technique and ability on the ball.

I look through their current midfield options (those who have been called up in the last 12 months):

1. Casemiro is captain and been a key part of that team for a while, but his form has drastically declined this season at Man Utd and he is on the way down

2. Guimaeres - very good player who I rate highly, but Dougie outperformed him last season and has done so again this season so far

3. Joelinton - big, strong and athletic but Dougie is far, far better as an all-round footballer

4. Gerson - a year older than Dougie but with fewer caps, he plays in Brazil and spent a year or 2 at Marseille, don't think they made that much of him in France

5. Andre - young player who plays in Brazil, don't know too much about him but he's rated quite highly in Brazilian football

6. Andrey Santos - signed by Chelsea in January, been loaned to Forest this season where he doesn't even get off the bench

7. Joao Gomes - remains uncapped but called up in March, signed for Wolves in January but only broken into the side this season, strong and athletic but Luiz is a far better footballer

Looking at those options, it's not like with Boubs where he is competing with Camavinga, Tchouameni, Fofana and Rabiot in central midfield and then with other options like Thuram, Kone, Veretout, Guendouzi etc (and he still makes the France squad anyway) or Diaby who has to compete with Dembele and Coman, two of the best right wingers in the world. That set of midfielders really isn't particularly great at all and with the exception of Casemiro, Guimaeres and at a push Joelinton, none of them are performing week in week out in a top league. 

If anyone has any insight as to why he is not getting selected, I'd love to know. I looked on a Brazil fans forum recently and one person said Douglas Luiz was a must to be in this squad, but he's again been ignored. With Joelinton being injured I cannot believe the Brazil manager hasn't recalled him, unless he just never watches Villa play. Honestly we go on about Southgate not calling up our players but the Brazilian national team selections are even worse. No wonder Brazil haven't come close to winning anything recently. 

30 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I just cannot for the life of me understand why they don't call him up for Brazil. The last manager Tite didn't, and this new interim manager also ignores him. I feel that's even more exasperating than Southgate not calling up our English players, because Luiz is for me our most important and consistent player along with Martinez and tailor-made for international football with his technique and ability on the ball.

I look through their current midfield options (those who have been called up in the last 12 months):

1. Casemiro is captain and been a key part of that team for a while, but his form has drastically declined this season at Man Utd and he is on the way down

2. Guimaeres - very good player who I rate highly, but Dougie outperformed him last season and has done so again this season so far

3. Joelinton - big, strong and athletic but Dougie is far, far better as an all-round footballer

4. Gerson - a year older than Dougie but with fewer caps, he plays in Brazil and spent a year or 2 at Marseille, don't think they made that much of him in France

5. Andre - young player who plays in Brazil, don't know too much about him but he's rated quite highly in Brazilian football

6. Andrey Santos - signed by Chelsea in January, been loaned to Forest this season where he doesn't even get off the bench

7. Joao Gomes - remains uncapped but called up in March, signed for Wolves in January but only broken into the side this season, strong and athletic but Luiz is a far better footballer

Looking at those options, it's not like with Boubs where he is competing with Camavinga, Tchouameni, Fofana and Rabiot in central midfield and then with other options like Thuram, Kone, Veretout, Guendouzi etc (and he still makes the France squad anyway) or Diaby who has to compete with Dembele and Coman, two of the best right wingers in the world. That set of midfielders really isn't particularly great at all and with the exception of Casemiro, Guimaeres and at a push Joelinton, none of them are performing week in week out in a top league. 

If anyone has any insight as to why he is not getting selected, I'd love to know. I looked on a Brazil fans forum recently and one person said Douglas Luiz was a must to be in this squad, but he's again been ignored. With Joelinton being injured I cannot believe the Brazil manager hasn't recalled him, unless he just never watches Villa play. Honestly we go on about Southgate not calling up our players but the Brazilian national team selections are even worse. No wonder Brazil haven't come close to winning anything recently. 

The interim manager is apparently going to get the job full time. He seems a bit of a clown and doesn't even have a great cv

On 04/10/2023 at 02:31, TRO said:

He's a No 8 for me.

He just filled in at No 6 to do a job for the club, when we hadn't got one.....but he has abilities/attributes relating to that role anyway.

approaching the complete midfielder at present....If not one already.

Watched a game analysis of the Brighton game by some guy doing freeze frames and going into detail about our shape on and off the ball and a lot of times Luiz was in the 10 spot high behind Watkins and Diaby so definitely an 8 with Kamara staying deep covering the back 4

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The interim manager is apparently going to get the job full time. He seems a bit of a clown and doesn't even have a great cv

Lol, I thought that they were looking to entice Ancelotti who I'd have thought would have called up Luiz. This interim guy seems to heavily favour players playing in Brazil. 

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He will get called up eventually. In the meantime with the amount of games coming up it’s in our interest that he doesn’t get called up and feature anytime soon. 

Dunno, it's been 2 years since his last callup now and Luiz is playing the best football of his career. He's still only 25 unbelievably so of course there is still time but he's been our best outfield player for the best part of a year now, in a time where we have shown top 4 form and are averaging 2 points a game. Scoring, assisting, running the midfield, playing between the lines,. He's even added penalty taking to his repertoire. And he's getting ignored for kids who have barely played 100 games in their entire career or for players very clearly not up to it like Fred who was selected for the World Cup over him. 

I suppose my issue with players at Villa not being called up is they might think they need to leave Villa to get international recognition, Luiz is very patriotic and loves playing for Brazil, he'll be gutted about not being involved when he so clearly deserves to be. And while we have to endure 2 weeks of the Villa not playing, it would be good to see how our other players are doing across the world. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Lol, I thought that they were looking to entice Ancelotti who I'd have thought would have called up Luiz. This interim guy seems to heavily favour players playing in Brazil. 

In his slight defence, he does currently manage in the Brazilian league so maybe harder to watch a lot of games

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watched a game analysis of the Brighton game by some guy doing freeze frames and going into detail about our shape on and off the ball and a lot of times Luiz was in the 10 spot high behind Watkins and Diaby so definitely an 8 with Kamara staying deep covering the back 4

The problem with freeze frames is, it's Static.....when the game itself is dynamic.

Players morph in to varying positions, to meet the demands of the game.

My comment was a generalization...he probably drifts in to many positions during a game, as complete players can do.

Luiz has always reminded me a bit of Pirlo who played as a 10 and an 8 early in his career but drifted back to a ballplaying 6. Similar story with Scholes.

I don’t think it’s right that Smith misused him - he was our best option at 6 at the time, and did a good job there, especially in that relegation survival run in post lockdown.

Since Kamara arrived he’s been able to play a more complete role, and then Emery’s system with natural CMs playing wide mid has given him even more freedom.

• Like 2

On 03/10/2023 at 22:03, nick76 said:

NO....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Luiz has always reminded me a bit of Pirlo who played as a 10 and an 8 early in his career but drifted back to a ballplaying 6. Similar story with Scholes.

I don’t think it’s right that Smith misused him - he was our best option at 6 at the time, and did a good job there, especially in that relegation survival run in post lockdown.

Since Kamara arrived he’s been able to play a more complete role, and then Emery’s system with natural CMs playing wide mid has given him even more freedom.

I agree.

That is the essence of the point, I was making.

• Like 1

Â